TPR Bio (from Sciences Workbook), EK 101 Bio or BR Bio Quest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blazinfury

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which book would you say is more high yield (ie what priority due to time constraints would you do them)? Which would you say resembles the current MCAT bio section-- even though hardly anything does?

Members don't see this ad.

EK bio 1001 is not similar. The questions don't require much critical thinking, just knowledge. I haven't taken the exam yet, but I have heard that EK bio is not representative.

EK bio 1001 is not similar. The questions don't require much critical thinking, just knowledge. I haven't taken the exam yet, but I have heard that EK bio is not representative.

I agree. EK Bio won't prepare you. I'm not sure about TBR bio vs. TPR bio practice. Maybe someone else can shed some insight.

If what people are saying is true about the MCAT Bio becoming more experiment and passage based, then I would recommend TPR. Their science workbook Bio sections feature many passages like that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why are people who didn't take the real thing making comments about what is a better resource?

Because I've done research on the same topics. And people who HAVE taken the exam are the ones that are saying it. I also notice it myself when I do the passages. But thanks for your concern ;)

Which book would you say is more high yield (ie what priority due to time constraints would you do them)? Which would you say resembles the current MCAT bio section-- even though hardly anything does?

TBR Bio is very detailed and difficult. EK Bio (not EK 1001) has decent questions and 30minute exams. I'd say AAMC is somewhere right in the middle of those 2.

TPR science workbook will work for you man. Its alot easier to get than TBR and their passages are very helpful

TPR advanced passages were very similiar to my real thing I thought. I dont even think EK bio 1001 is worth doing. TBR is good for helping you get used to the crazy passages you occasionally get thrown.

TPR advanced passages were very similiar to my real thing I thought. I dont even think EK bio 1001 is worth doing. TBR is good for helping you get used to the crazy passages you occasionally get thrown.

Thanks for the reply. I know that the TPR Sciences book-- bio section has a lot of molecular DNA questions-- such as depicting the arrangement of genes/restriction sites on a plasmid and things to that effect. No other review book has such detail. I was wondering if that is just TPR raising the bar or have people on AAMCs/past MCATs had to do something similar. I remember doing that a while back in my advanced mol bio lab in college, but would we be expected to know/do something like that on the MCAT in the limited amt of time?

My friend took the mcat and use EK 1001 bio and TPRH and had a 12 in BS. He said both were very helpful. But his advice is to use EK 1001 bio first to solidify the concepts then TPRH.

I got good mileage from SN2ed's combo of EK Bio content and TBR bio passages. Can't speak to the other resources as I've not used them.

Going through the book to locate specific passage numbers would take time.

However, most of the advanced passages are located towards the end of each science section.

There are some advanced passages in the middle of each science section. For example, page 70, passage 13 of Physics, is labeled ***ADVANCED PASSAGE***.

Thanks for the reply. I know that the TPR Sciences book-- bio section has a lot of molecular DNA questions-- such as depicting the arrangement of genes/restriction sites on a plasmid and things to that effect. No other review book has such detail. I was wondering if that is just TPR raising the bar or have people on AAMCs/past MCATs had to do something similar. I remember doing that a while back in my advanced mol bio lab in college, but would we be expected to know/do something like that on the MCAT in the limited amt of time?

I just did that passage, it was crazy. I always time my passages and write down answers in time first, and then after time see if I want to change any answers given unlimited time to reason it out.

The first time through (7min) I only got 4 of the questions right. With extended time I only got one wrong, but it took forever to read the passage very closely and understand what the heck they were talking about. I still don't really understand the concept of how the inserted nrd+ gene's ability to replicate in both orientations proves it has it's own promoter and why we can tell it can do this by the fact that the repressor cleaves into 6 parts. That was def. above the level of my general bio's coverage of genetics. I couldn't even find an answer in my textbook.

Anyway, TPRH bio from the science workbook is AOK in my book. I like it better than TBR, a good balance of hard and medium passages. I like positive reinforcement, and getting 100% on a few passages keeps me motivated.