1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

TPR Bio science workbook passages

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by J DUB, May 31, 2008.

1. J ROD

J ROD Watch my TAN walk!!
    Rocket Scientist Physician Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I really like the passages and think they are great practice.

What do some of you all think that have used it?

Do you think some of the passages are hard? My average is a little lower than I would like and I am curious as to how others did or are doing.

Thanks,

2. nothing123

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Some of the passages are definitely harder or maybe it's just the fact that the TPR homework schedule recommends passages that are totally unrelated to the corresponding section it's in. What I've found is that you'd either get perfect on a passage or 3 or so wrong on others.

3. TheBoondocks

TheBoondocks StreetFighter 4 Virtuoso
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    They're tough. Overall, they're probably the best you can get. EK bio 101 passages which I have is good, but definitely easier. Other than Kaplan, which doesn't have many other than their kaplan tests. When I go hardcore, it will definitely be with EK 101 to start off. Then TPR for real MCAT like passages. I'm debating BR, everyone says that they're too detailed. However, i'm thinking of using it like EK 101 passages. Whenever I miss something, it's something I learn and understand better. What do you think of BR overall for Bio. I'm waiting on them to update the Physics books so I can order the set. I think I'll just order the entire set. I'm sure some of the passages are reasoning based and the more knowledge based ones teach you to understand the basics more.

Here's a good post.

1) Your individual scores and composite score

15 verbal, 14 bio, 13 physical, T writing

2) The study method used for each section

i read princeton review books 3-4x each, but i tried to emphasize answering questions--not just reading and memorizing--in my studying. (see below)

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc)

physical and bio: i borrowed some old princeton review books from a friend. the 2003 edition, i believe.
    verbal: i did NOT use the princeton review material. i used the examkrackers 101 verbal passages book.

4) Which practice tests did you use?

AAMC

5) What was your undergraduate major?

biology

6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?

the princeton review books really do have all of the information you need to know, and more. after reading them and taking a few AAMC tests, it should become clear what you need to memorize (e.g., hormones) and what you do not need to memorize (e.g., bones in ear). once you have a solid handle on the princeton review material, focus on doing practice passages. the princeton review passages are poorly written and significantly harder than the real thing. if you get around 1.0-1.5 wrong per passage, youre set for a mid-30s score on the real test. don't stress about trying to lower this number to 1 or 0.5: the problem is that the questions are just poorly written, so it doesn't really mean anything if you get them correct or not.

for the verbal section, the examkrackers 101 passages book is the best approximation of the real exam. do all of them.

obviously, gauge your progress by doing AAMC tests regularly: they are great predictors, albeit sometimes a bit low because the pressure of test day eliminates some stupid mistakes.

the princeton review books are actually reasonably well written. i cant imagine that 1000 dollars is well spent on taking the class when you can easily just snag the books

also obvious, but worth stating: no matter how many times you read your princeton review book, youll find something in it that you had forgotten. don't worry. once you hit 90-95% of what you think you need to know, make flashcards for the rest and then close the book for good--youre wasting your time reading it. at this point you should be doing practice passages exclusively. i know a lot of kids at my college who know the facts in and out, but because they haven't practiced problem solving before tests, they have no idea how to think. you really do not have to know much material for the MCAT--you just have to answer hundreds of questions. each on its own is trivially easy: the difficulty is t hat you can't afford to make mistakes. as such, MOST of your studying should just be practicing answering MCAT-like questions.

7) How long did you study for the MCAT?

started late june, tried do a few practice passages a day, took the august test

4. J ROD

J ROD Watch my TAN walk!!
    Rocket Scientist Physician Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I have all the BK books. I like everything except the Bio. I did two chapters and quit and went back to PR.

Their new verbal book is good for extra practice, not great. The Physics books I have are copyrighted 2008. Have not got into them yet.

Glad to know I am not alone on PR bio. I get all right on one passage and then miss a couple on another.