Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

TPR Biology Passage 64 questions: Inheritance

Discussion in 'MCAT Study Question Q&A' started by tshank, 09.26.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. tshank

tshank 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Can anyone help explain this passage and the following questions? I am particularly confused on #'s 4 and 5. Thank you.

Answers are below, highlight to view:

1-C
    2-B
    3-C
    4-A
    5-B
    6-C

Attached Files:

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. popopopop

popopopop 2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Do you know how to solve a pedigree tree? You need to know punnet squares before attempting this question, then it's a matter of pattern recognition(not necessary, but makes things faster) and trial/error.

4. tshank

tshank 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I didn't know how to solve a pedigree tree when I checked out the passage, but I do now.

Question: Any tricks you have for figuring out right away between autosomal or x-linked? And are we expected to know mitochondrial or not for MCAT?

5. popopopop

popopopop 2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    I had tons of practice on this when I had genetics, but it's rusty right now. I didn't have a problem with the passage you posted though, and haven't encountered anything harder than this.

http://www.bogari.net/Bogari/Medical_Genetics_files/3-1 Patterens of Inheritance.pdf

^This is a really good summary of some of the shortcuts. No idea on mitochondrial, but I'm sure it'll be mentioned in the passage I guess. I doubt you'll see it.

wuhsabee likes this.
  6. tshank

tshank 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thats the exact slideshow I just went through to learn how to read pedigree's. Thanks!

About the ads