1. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

TPR Biology Passage 64 questions: Inheritance

Discussion in 'MCAT Study Question Q&A' started by tshank, Sep 26, 2014.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. tshank

tshank 2+ Year Member

Jun 3, 2014
    Can anyone help explain this passage and the following questions? I am particularly confused on #'s 4 and 5. Thank you.

Answers are below, highlight to view:

1-C
    2-B
    3-C
    4-A
    5-B
    6-C

Attached Files:

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. popopopop

popopopop 5+ Year Member

Dec 18, 2011
    DFW/Houston
    Do you know how to solve a pedigree tree? You need to know punnet squares before attempting this question, then it's a matter of pattern recognition(not necessary, but makes things faster) and trial/error.

4. tshank

tshank 2+ Year Member

Jun 3, 2014
    I didn't know how to solve a pedigree tree when I checked out the passage, but I do now.

Question: Any tricks you have for figuring out right away between autosomal or x-linked? And are we expected to know mitochondrial or not for MCAT?

5. popopopop

popopopop 5+ Year Member

Dec 18, 2011
    DFW/Houston
    I had tons of practice on this when I had genetics, but it's rusty right now. I didn't have a problem with the passage you posted though, and haven't encountered anything harder than this.

http://www.bogari.net/Bogari/Medical_Genetics_files/3-1 Patterens of Inheritance.pdf

^This is a really good summary of some of the shortcuts. No idea on mitochondrial, but I'm sure it'll be mentioned in the passage I guess. I doubt you'll see it.

wuhsabee likes this.
  6. tshank

tshank 2+ Year Member

Jun 3, 2014
    Thats the exact slideshow I just went through to learn how to read pedigree's. Thanks!