TPR Biology Passage 64 questions: Inheritance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tshank

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone help explain this passage and the following questions? I am particularly confused on #'s 4 and 5. Thank you.

Answers are below, highlight to view:

1-C
2-B
3-C
4-A
5-B
6-C

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• TPR 64.pdf
    69.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 1-3.pdf
    48.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 4-6.pdf
    38 KB · Views: 64
Do you know how to solve a pedigree tree? You need to know punnet squares before attempting this question, then it's a matter of pattern recognition(not necessary, but makes things faster) and trial/error.

Do you know how to solve a pedigree tree? You need to know punnet squares before attempting this question, then it's a matter of pattern recognition(not necessary, but makes things faster) and trial/error.

I didn't know how to solve a pedigree tree when I checked out the passage, but I do now.

Question: Any tricks you have for figuring out right away between autosomal or x-linked? And are we expected to know mitochondrial or not for MCAT?

I had tons of practice on this when I had genetics, but it's rusty right now. I didn't have a problem with the passage you posted though, and haven't encountered anything harder than this.

http://www.bogari.net/Bogari/Medical_Genetics_files/3-1 Patterens of Inheritance.pdf

^This is a really good summary of some of the shortcuts. No idea on mitochondrial, but I'm sure it'll be mentioned in the passage I guess. I doubt you'll see it.

Reactions: 1 user
I had tons of practice on this when I had genetics, but it's rusty right now. I didn't have a problem with the passage you posted though, and haven't encountered anything harder than this.

http://www.bogari.net/Bogari/Medical_Genetics_files/3-1 Patterens of Inheritance.pdf

^This is a really good summary of some of the shortcuts. No idea on mitochondrial, but I'm sure it'll be mentioned in the passage I guess. I doubt you'll see it.
Thats the exact slideshow I just went through to learn how to read pedigree's. Thanks!