Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

TPR Biology

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by midn, May 10, 2007.

1. midn

midn 10+ Year Member

Sep 30, 2005
    So I finally decided to start reading my TPR biology book since I have a very tenuous grasp of physiology, but the book is so badly written that I am learning nothing. There is a paucity of diagrams and the diagrams that are available are poorly labeled and do not help make any of the material clear.

So, now that I have 2 weeks till my MCAT exam, I have two options: I can either keep reading the TPR book or I can switch over to my EK book. The EK book is far more easier to read, but I feel that it's lacking a lot of detail. Is EK biology sufficient?

I'm scoring 12-13 on the BS right now, but I feel that I can solidify it to a 13 if I just get a better grasp of the material (and finally review organic chemistry rather than making educated guesses).

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. scotties123

scotties123 GrandMacDaddy 10+ Year Member

Apr 29, 2007
    if ur so close to ur mcat and ur already scoring 12+, all u need to do is look at ur weaknesses in BS based off of AAMCs. do a few AAMCs, and see where ur weak. touch up those points. for areas im weak in i usually go2 my old textbooks for a deeper analysis and better understanding.

4. midn

midn 10+ Year Member

Sep 30, 2005
    My weakness is physiology. All of it.

I've taken AAMC 6-8 and I've been fortunate with very few physiology questions. The few that I do get I make educated guesses on, but I really don't know the answers.

Any other suggestions?

5. Green Pirate

Green Pirate Neurotic Neuro Enthusiast 5+ Year Member

Nov 13, 2006
    why don't you just continue to use the TPR biology and supplement the text with EK's diagrams (or maybe even diagrams you find on the web). TPR's bio is supposed to be very comprehensive compared to EK, which, like you said, is a little thin on content.

6. midn

midn 10+ Year Member

Sep 30, 2005
    TPR's bio book is really badly written though and unless you've had a physiology class before, it makes little sense. They just throw a bunch of details at you with little explanation. Whenever a diagram is needed to supplement a physical description, it's not there and EK doesn't necessarily have it because they don't cover that much detail.

I'll try though.

7. Green Pirate

Green Pirate Neurotic Neuro Enthusiast 5+ Year Member

Nov 13, 2006
    In that case it might be worth reading through EK's physiology first since you seem to like their writing style better. Then in order to gain more depth of information come back to PR. That way you'll have the general idea of what's going on and then the detail. If that doesn't work out, perhaps consider picking up a physiology textbook (I assume you'll be taking the class in the future anyway so it wouldn't neccessarily be an additional purchase)

8. Foghorn

Foghorn Guest

Feb 13, 2007
    @midn,

PM me if you're interested in a Physiology study guide.