tpr diag

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kevin86

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

how close is the tpr diag to the real thing. I actually care about the verbal more. Also, how are those in class compendiums, are they normal?

Members don't see this ad.

kevin86 said:
Hey guys

how close is the tpr diag to the real thing. I actually care about the verbal more. Also, how are those in class compendiums, are they normal?

from what i hear, the TPR diags are ridiculously harder compared to the real deal.. the ICC's are the same way.. in fact, i dont really get much out of them when we do them in class.. it seems like TPR diags are comprised of ICC passages.. I HATE IN CLASS COMPENDIUMS WITH A PASSION-- nothing demoralizes you more than studying you butt off all weekend, doing their assignments, only to come to class and do an ICC and then feel like an idiot :(

cee said:
from what i hear, the TPR diags are ridiculously harder compared to the real deal.. the ICC's are the same way.. in fact, i dont really get much out of them when we do them in class.. it seems like TPR diags are comprised of ICC passages.. I HATE IN CLASS COMPENDIUMS WITH A PASSION-- nothing demoralizes you more than studying you butt off all weekend, doing their assignments, only to come to class and do an ICC and then feel like an idiot :(

ICC get's better overtime because you'll get better...trust me. I used to only get a few right, but the other day I had my first perfect passage.

Y_Marker said:
ICC get's better overtime because you'll get better...trust me. I used to only get a few right, but the other day I had my first perfect passage.

the diags and ICC are harder than the actual mcat. I took tpr and now teach for them, so i am very familiar with the material. Almost all of my students score below 20 on the first diag and no one gets near a 30. some students score much lower than 20, but still end up getting a 30 on the last diag.

don't worry! just study hard! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Y_Marker said:

i dont understand why people say that "you'll get better" because every week we're just rolling out new material and its just a new way of getting your face kicked in.. i can understand getting better if we keep on doing the same problems for the same material, but every week is a new week. is there some kind of magic elixir that i'm just not sipping on? :oops:

cee said:
i dont understand why people say that "you'll get better" because every week we're just rolling out new material and its just a new way of getting your face kicked in.. i can understand getting better if we keep on doing the same problems for the same material, but every week is a new week. is there some kind of magic elixir that i'm just not sipping on? :oops:

Practice - Rinse lather and repeat. No magic elixir - just tenacity.

Think of it as learning to tame a wild horse (okay that's a cheesy analogy but it's late and I'm trying to get pumped for diag #3 tomorrow - I'm wearing guards should I get kicked in the nuts :scared: )

And now for some stress relief - counter strike!

so if you can help, what is the best way to benefit from tpr. There are a lot of homework passages for everything, should i do all of them?
Are they good enough?

kevin86 said:
so if you can help, what is the best way to benefit from tpr. There are a lot of homework passages for everything, should i do all of them?
Are they good enough?
i've been doing all the homeworks and prereadings for the class.. i dont know if its been that beneficial.. it fills up my time so much, i dont even have time to go back and redo some problems/concepts that i didnt grasp 100%. last night, i made flashcard of the physics problems i've done up until this date, for memorization purposes. i think i'm gonna devote 1 day every other week or so just to rehash everything i've done up until this point (although its pretty hard when you've got so much other things going on, and on top of it, you got all this damn homework to deal with

i took this diagnostic. when will they mail the results to me, i'm interested? i took it mostly for the verbal, because i'm a complete 0 in the sciences right now(i plan to start studying 8hrs/day as soon as the semester is over). Also to those of you that are taking the TPR course, are you getting lectures on physics/genchem in the 1st several weeks, and then Bio/Ochem, or do you learn all the subjects at once?
i noticed that the physics section was definitely not hard. i would probably get a 1 if i were to take AP PhysicsB or AP GenChem, yet i think i answered vast majority of the questions there, because the answers were all in the passages.. In EK i did only first chapters on physics and genchem in-class lectures and i was running out of time on those, even though i learned those topics pretty well, while on TPR Diag they had many questions which were too easy..
the verbal was definitely different from the EK Verbal(thats the only thing i have to compare). TPR had longer passages. Some of the questions were very different. Not only the question types, but also i noticed that the 2 answer choices are usually completely ******ed, while the other 2 are often very hard to choose from. On EK there is usually no such clear disparity. At the same time i did not run out of time(i actually finished 5mins early). But i'll have to see how many questions i got wrong.
On Bio section, i did terribly. Again, there were many questions which gave away the answers. But it made me realize how most of the courses that i took in college bio, i didn't retain anything... I feel if you could get a 5 on AP high school classes, you should've killed those science passages. If you get a 1 or 2, you may get perhaps 80% on that test, but thats no good.