Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

TPR Diagnostic 481

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by VC15, Jun 16, 2001.

1. VC15

VC15 MS4
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I've heard that people tend to do badly on the first Princeton Review diagnostic but then improve on subsequent tests as they prepare more. What would a decent score on this diagnostic (481) be?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. tbachi

tbachi Member
    10+ Year Member

I found that exam to be extremely difficult. I think they give you the hardest one first to let you know what you are in for and to keep you studying. I know everyone in my class was upset with their scores on that test as well. Hopefully we will all do better on the upcoming practice exams!!

4. yigit

yigit Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I scored a 20 on my first test and a 34 on the real thing. Study hard and your scores should improve a few points each time. If you put in the time you'll do fine.

5. pre-hawkdoc

pre-hawkdoc Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i'll spare you the exact numbers, but my intervals from TPR diag 1 to the real mccoy were the same. keep in mind, you have lots of time, learning, and practice before you have to sit for the real deal, so just do what the TPR folks say and you'll be fine. good luck.

6. kmy

kmy Member
    7+ Year Member

Hello, I teach for TPR and I have seen the results of the initial MCAT practice tests from both the student and teacher perspectives. I can't say for sure, but if I were Princeton Review I would certainly start hard so that students could see improvement and be motivated to study hard and listen to the teachers. I have also found that their SAT tests start more difficult so I wouldn't worry. I started with a 17 and ended with a 35 when I did it, I think the class averages for the first test are generally around 15 or 20. The scores always go up, and the last test you take will most likely be an actual MCAT that TPR has bought the rights to. That seemed like a piece of cake to me by the time I had done all the TPR tests. Good Luck.

7. tbachi

tbachi Member
    10+ Year Member

just think... if everyone scored a 30 on the first practice exam... they would quit the course because they would think they didn't need it... TPR would lose a lot of money if the first test wasn't so hard.... its all a strategy for the company's success!!

8. TPRPhoenix

TPRPhoenix Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I work for TPR in a position where I would know if rigging was going on--I'm the director of the Phoenix office. To hear someone state that we "fix" diag 481 to scare students and make more money, well, that is such a colossal load. I hear this thrown out all the time as some sort of cynical support for the main argument, which is "those test prep companies just want to take our money and don't do anything--we do all the work."

If you TRULY believe this, MCAT's released Practice Tests IV and V, so you can check for yourself if you want to compare ours vs. the "real" MCAT without paying a dime for our course. Buy those, and you can take a free practice MCAT in any TPR office. Typically the free test is diag 480, which has had the same accusations of "too hard" leveled at it, but you can ask our office for 481 instead if you want, and you'll see for yourself (at least here in Phoenix--dunno if other offices will do the same but I'd be surprised if they didn't).

TPR starts with the TPR diags because AMCAS hasn't released enough useful "real" MCAT's for us to use. We use IV and V in our courses! In our SAT courses, we use 10 REAL SAT's, which is actually produced by ETS. And we'd do the same for MCATs if we could. Frankly, they're releasing more material in part because of complaints from us that there aren't enough released preparation tests.

I have to say that I have read that "they rig the first test's scores" comment on here before, and it always seems like sour grapes to me. I don't mind being told our course didn't work for you, because it isn't what everyone wants or needs. But to say that we rig the first test because we couldn't keep our business afloat otherwise is just like saying we steal students' money. And I know the folks in our R&D department--they are good people and wouldn't rig tests. They, and the folks in our offices, our teachers and staff members, all do the best we can to provide the best damn MCAT preparation program we can. And we DO provide a good product, not one we have to rig to show results. While I haven't worked for other test prep companies and can't speak for them, I've met their local folks, and I'd bet that the people working in their local offices feel the same way.

There is no conspiracy to fraudulently scare you into our courses. Pre-meds scare themselves enough about the process. We don't have any intention or need to add to the scare tactics that you produce for yourselves. And I think that it's way past time for studentdoctor.net to moderate downright slanderous comments like this from people who either don't know or don't care about what they're talking about.

9. VC15

VC15 MS4
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey Rob, I have no problems with the TPR course at all... I've found the practice materials to be extremely detailed and useful thus far. All I wanted to know was what a decent 481 diag score would be if I wanted to be "on pace" for say a 33-35 with a >10 VR on the real MCAT assuming I keep up with all the work... thanks

10. TPRPhoenix

TPRPhoenix Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Sorry--I wasn't bagging on you, just that b.s. about us rigging tests.

Anyway, to answer your question, I think that you should judge where you start based on our score improvement study, which is 8 points overall. I think students see the most improvement in Verbal, but I can't tell you where you'll go up the most because each student has individual strengths and weaknesses and that is our AVERAGE score improvement. So if you're starting with a 25 and want a 33, I would think you're safely going to get that. If you're starting with a 10, you need a lot of study to get to a 35. But bear in mind 8 points is the average--we've seen 19 points or more in offices that have run "highest improvement" contests, so it's not impossible to go up more, just not the results of our average student. "Actual results may vary." :)

As an overall strategy, I'd just go with the assumption that your improvement will be the average, based upon doing the homework and making sure you've followed the technique on each section, and track your scores closely with the diags to see that you're making the progress you want. If you want specific improvement in the Verbal, talk with your teacher and they will give you specific pointers that will help raise your score in that area!

11. monster2

monster2 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

If you want a good score in Verbal, then be an English major.

Jeez, you people don't realize that Verbal Reasoning is the closest to an aptitude exam you can get... it takes quick thinking, memory, comprehension skills and recognition that is almost beyond coachable. People who fail often shows laziness to read a variety of materials. Anyone can improve WITHOUT the help of some crap TPR.

12. MsPurtell

MsPurtell Guest

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I went from a 21 on Diag 481 to a 31 on the real thing. My verbal score jumped 5 points. :D

13. TPRPhoenix

TPRPhoenix Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

To reply to Monster2,

"If you want a good score in Verbal, then be an English major."

Actually, the people who've performed best on the MCAT in the past are Humanities majors...not far from the truth. History and BMES majors have been most likely to be admitted, however.

"Jeez, you people don't realize that Verbal Reasoning is the closest to an aptitude exam you can get... it takes quick thinking, memory, comprehension skills and recognition that is almost beyond coachable. People who fail often shows laziness to read a variety of materials."

However, THERE is some crap. If the MCAT is an aptitude exam, why bother with med school? We should proceed straight to the residency and apprentice doctors--obviously, the students who score best on the MCAT would be the best doctors! For that matter, let's skip college, as the people who score best on the SAT must be the best students! Oh, heck, let's just skip school altogether and give IQ tests and then let the "smart" folks do what they want and all the "dumb" people can empty garbage cans or pound rocks together.

Seriously, while the MCAT is a better test than many, it's still coachable and you can prepare for it. Your post definitely exhibits a great belief in immutable intelligence, standardized testing and the productive nature thereof, Mr. Bush. By the way, that your dad was an alumni couldn't have helped you get into Yale, with your SAT scores, huh?

"Anyone can improve WITHOUT the help of some crap TPR."

TPR has never denied that students improve without prepping with us, and I sure won't, either. Lots of people can score well if they study as much as our students do and use prep materials that cover what's on the exam as our students do. If you're gonna prep without our course, I'd recommend buying all the released MCATs, and our Flowers & Silvers MCAT review book as well as our MCAT Practice Tests book. There are others that may work for you, too, so look at all of those on the shelf and decide for yourself with which you'd feel most at ease.

We are suspiciously solvent for such a "crap" company, though, and I'd recommend you take our course if you can, however. :)

14. pre-hawkdoc

pre-hawkdoc Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

What the heck, I'll throw my little testamonial into the mix.
    My TPR Diag 1 (481 i think???) was a 19 (4 in VR). April MCAT was a 33 (11 in VR). For you non-math majors, that's a 14 point jump overall and a 7 point jump in verbal. i definitely thought that some of the verbal strategies were very useful. Don't get me wrong, I worked my ass off for 2 1/2 months leading up to D-Day, but if I had to do it over again, I wouldn't hesitate to write another check.
    Just my thoughts...