TPR Hyperlearning Science Workbook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FollowTheMoney

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How helpful are these books? Anyone highly recommend doing them? Anyone credit a substantial amount of their success to these books? Any input is always greatly appreciated. I would like to hear SN2ed's official opinion about these...:D

Members don't see this ad.

How helpful are these books? Anyone highly recommend doing them? Anyone credit a substantial amount of their success to these books? Any input is always greatly appreciated. I would like to hear SN2ed's official opinion about these...:D

DUDE ...Physics in BR is so confusing to me. Their examples and passages. I'm just gonna focus on TPR for content, then attempt to go back and do the BR stuff lol..

And TPRH science workbook is really useful for extra practice (I have it). You should buy one if you can.

DUDE ...Physics in BR is so confusing to me. Their examples and passages. I'm just gonna focus on TPR for content, then attempt to go back and do the BR stuff lol..

And TPRH science workbook is really useful for extra practice (I have it). You should buy one if you can.

Yeah, I have it but I haven't done anything in the workbook yet...Yeah, I would say BR Physics is challenging, but helpful in many ways. You need to stop focusing so much on performance, and more on understanding why you got questions correct/incorrect. I was taken back by a few of the passages, but you can not let it destroy your confidence. Just keep plowing through SN2ed's schedule and cover these passages. It will pay off in the end, trust me. I have not seen one single person who has used BR on this website and not gotten AT LEAST a 12 on P.S. I'm fairly certain not every one of those kids was the sharpest tool in the shed either. Relax, you have 2 more months, hang in there and put the time in. You'll be fine dude. :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
My opinion isn't as official has SN2ed's but I'll give it anyway. I used the TPR Science Workbook and the whole TPRH set really heavily in my prep and I thought they were TREMENDOUSLY helpful. The science workbook has some of the best passages I've seen. Do it. Just dive into it, because it's long and takes a while to go through but so worth it.

-LIS

My opinion isn't as official has SN2ed's but I'll give it anyway. I used the TPR Science Workbook and the whole TPRH set really heavily in my prep and I thought they were TREMENDOUSLY helpful. The science workbook has some of the best passages I've seen. Do it. Just dive into it, because it's long and takes a while to go through but so worth it.

-LIS

LIS,

Thanks for the insight! I know you got a 15 in B.S. which is tremendously impressive, but I was wondering which was better for you personally in terms of practice for both bio and orgo, TPRH Science Workbook or BR passages. I plan on trying to complete both of those, but if you had to triage, which would say was better in hindsight. Thanks again.

Btw, I took your recommendation and I'm going to rely heavily on TPRH Bio for content review :D

Both TPRH workbooks are great resources. Actually, the entire TPRH series is really good.

SN2ed,

Thanks again for all of your help and support. If I do well on this test, I will attribute most of my success to you. I'm going to try and re-sell all of my Kaplan materials and send the profit priority mail to your house haha. I know you highly recommend TPRH Science Workbook, but I was just wondering why you did not incorporate into your 3 month study schedule. If it was because you felt BR was that much better I completely understand, because they are as good as advertised :).

LIS,

Thanks for the insight! I know you got a 15 in B.S. which is tremendously impressive, but I was wondering which was better for you personally in terms of practice for both bio and orgo, TPRH Science Workbook or BR passages. I plan on trying to complete both of those, but if you had to triage, which would say was better in hindsight. Thanks again.

Btw, I took your recommendation and I'm going to rely heavily on TPRH Bio for content review :D

It's funny, I follow up on LostInStudy's posts too. No idea how he managed a perfect science score, but he and I had similar testing material so hopefully it pays off for me as much as it did for him.

Anyways, I read TPRH Biology and even though it's so detail oriented, it helps you get the big picture. Understanding becomes much clearer. After you read TPRH once, read EK a few times (it's a quick read once you understand it well), and you should be solid with the Biology portion of the MCAT. Just make sure you get practice in :D

By the way, how much are you studing a day? And are you rotating subjects? Just wondering.

It's funny, I follow up on LostInStudy's posts too. No idea how he managed a perfect science score, but he and I had similar testing material so hopefully it pays off for me as much as it did for him.

Anyways, I read TPRH Biology and even though it's so detail oriented, it helps you get the big picture. Understanding becomes much clearer. After you read TPRH once, read EK a few times (it's a quick read once you understand it well), and you should be solid with the Biology portion of the MCAT. Just make sure you get practice in :D

By the way, how much are you studing a day? And are you rotating subjects? Just wondering.

I'm trying to study 12 hours a day, realistically. I'm doing a variation of SN2ed's schedule: like Mon BR Physics 1, Tues BR Gen Chem 1, Wed BR Orgo, Thurs EK Bio 1/TPRH Bio, Fri Review, Sat Review, ....Restart. I incorporate the 1/3 Passages on the specific days and the 2nd 1/3 on either review day. That's my approach so far but I am going to have to pick up the pace if I want to sufficiently cover content, THPH Science Workbook, all BR passages, and the BR 1-5 CBT FLs as well as AAMC #3-10. I want to use Kaplan #1-6 but I don't know if I'll have time.

I'm trying to study 12 hours a day, realistically. I'm doing a variation of SN2ed's schedule: like Mon BR Physics 1, Tues BR Gen Chem 1, Wed BR Orgo, Thurs EK Bio 1/TPRH Bio, Fri Review, Sat Review, ....Restart. I incorporate the 1/3 Passages on the specific days and the 2nd 1/3 on either review day. That's my approach so far but I am going to have to pick up the pace if I want to sufficiently cover content, THPH Science Workbook, all BR passages, and the BR 1-5 CBT FLs as well as AAMC #3-10. I want to use Kaplan #1-6 but I don't know if I'll have time.

Yeah I already fell off schedule. I was suppose to finish Physics today, but that didn't work out to well.

I'm not really sure which is better because they served different purposes for me. TBR bio passages are hard but if you're good at analyzing passages then you can score fairly well on them and they help develop that skill. On the other hand, TPR were a mixture of testing content and analyzing passages and they have passages varying from really easy to pretty hard which is more like what you'll see on the AAMCs. I think what you should do is do the TPRH science workbook bio and do the TBR in phases. So do the first third and all bio from TPR and keep moving. If you have time you can come back and finish the rest of TBR. You could even do half of TBR and then all of TPR bio passages and come back later to TBR if you have time.

I've been telling people for months to get on TPRH bio. That thing is amazing. Yes it is a little detail oriented but it explains things from the ground up and it asks you questions in the text. It doesn't take THAT long to read, like I did about 12-15 pages an hour (I think most chapters averaged out into the 30-35 range). Plus it's engaging, not like TBR (so dull for me) or EK (which if you don't know everything already then it's just a list of facts).

I have to admit my science score is a bit of luck. On practices I was getting in the 13-14 range for both sections and on test day I got passages that suited topics that I was very familiar with. I was familiar with everything but some topics in organic I was a wiz at and those showed up. To me anything in the 38+ range is about the same. In the sciences once you get to the 13 range, you have a good shot at hitting the 15 if things can go your way.

Hope this helps,

-LIS

As long as we're talking about hours, I regularly hit 15 hours a day in the middle of my studying. Basically I did three 5 hour shifts to get used to concentrating for 5 hours straight. Of course I did break for 5-10 mins every 60-80 mins in those 5 hours.

Another piece of advice guys, if you're going to take short days then don't take them in the beginning or middle. Take them when you do FLs. FLs you can afford to get behind on because as legitboss said you can cut some extra ones out but if you get behind on content then you can get into a pickle really fast. So go through a subject hard (so if you don't rotate like I didn't then do a full subject) and then take a day to rest and re-energize your ambition, motivation, hatred, and will to beat this test. I personally used my days to catch up on chores and watch war/sci-fi movies. It's easy to tell yourself that "I deserve to take one day off" or "I'll catch up tomorrow" but don't get into the habit of it. Work hard and take a good rest after the war is over.

Oh MCAT, you were such an interesting romance. You left my life as suddenly as you came. I miss you sometimes...but then I remember how much work I put into us and am glad that such a selfish, time consuming, soul-eating, heartless woman is out of my life.

Good riddance you passive aggressive street walker,

-LIS

Last edited:
SN2ed,

Thanks again for all of your help and support. If I do well on this test, I will attribute most of my success to you. I'm going to try and re-sell all of my Kaplan materials and send the profit priority mail to your house haha. I know you highly recommend TPRH Science Workbook, but I was just wondering why you did not incorporate into your 3 month study schedule. If it was because you felt BR was that much better I completely understand, because they are as good as advertised :).

Thanks for the compliments.

One of the main reasons I chose BR over TPRH is accessibility (though BR does have a horrendous, unprofessional website). It would be a real pain for people to hunt down the TPRH set or bits and pieces of it. Heck, it's tough enough to get the Verbal Workbook. I only incorporated the VW because of the lack of good verbal practice passages. The schedule needed more verbal practice passages and choices where TPRH VW or BR Verbal. As you can see, I decided that it'd be worth the time to hunt down the TPRH VW.

The other reason is because BR has a better distribution of practice passages. The TPRH SW contains too many discretes and not enough passages for some subjects. For BR, every chapter has 10-15 passages; however, TPRH SW may have only a handful of passages for some chapters. Heck, BR's books contain even more practice passages then Kaplan's course.

In the end, BR is tops in terms of content review in most of the sciences, the best source of practice passages, and somewhat easy to obtain. It is for these reasons that I chose the series.

To more directly answer your question about TPRH SW in particular, BR offers plenty of passages (though it wouldn't hurt to have more), the workbook is tough to find, and I do want to keep the cost of my schedule down.

Last edited: