TPR hyperlearning verbal difficulty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

h9i9j9

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone with experience (ie. taken lots of aamc or the real thing) can comment on the difficulty of TPR workbook. I used examcraker this summer and scored 8-10 on their passages and scored a little higher on the aamc tests. However, when I do TPR, I do horriblely.
It seems to me that they have really easy passages (which you do really well) and 2 or 3 brutal passages which I can't understand. Could it be possible that they are promoting their strategy of skipping a passage and their tests reflect that bias?
Thanks for any comments. I apologize if this has been posted before.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think they purposefully put in hard passages to improve your skipping ability.

I do agree with you that they do have more volatility in the difficulty of their passages. Compared to the EK passages, I think TPRH has a couple more really abstract passages. This is probably a good thing since the aamc tests sometimes has similar passages.

To be honest, EK, TPRH, AAMC are all pretty much in the same ball park, with EK being a little more difficult and strict on the curve.

I don't think they purposely put in brutal passages so you follow their method, at least I didn't come to that conclusion doing their diagnostics, I maintained the same (non-TPR) strategy and got similar scores b/w aamc and tpr.

A lot of it is psychological, if you go into the TPR workbook tests thinking that brutal passages will be there and will do all that they can to screw you then precisely that will happen. Its a lot of mind games; treat them like you're doing an EK test or AAMC and you might improve.

I use EK 101 and TPRH.

So far, I've made (ek 101): 3, 6, 5, 7, 8, 7, 9.... still have 8 more left to take.

*I think that EK 101 has relatively ambiguous questions and answers, which is probably why I was missing so much at first. But, with practice, I am getting used to it.

So far, I've made (TPRH): 10, 10, 12... I still have one more test left.

*After doing EK 101, most of the TPRH questions are really straight forward. You also refer to the passages more in TPRH.

I personally like the passages in EK 101 because they are more interesting. But, questions are harder (ambiguous).

i use ek 101 and tprh.

So far, i've made (ek 101): 3, 6, 5, 7, 8, 7, 9.... Still have 8 more left to take.

*i think that ek 101 has relatively ambiguous questions and answers, which is probably why i was missing so much at first. But, with practice, i am getting used to it.

So far, i've made (tprh): 10, 10, 12... I still have one more test left.

*after doing ek 101, most of the tprh questions are really straight forward. You also refer to the passages more in tprh.

i personally like the passages in ek 101 because they are more interesting. But, questions are harder (ambiguous).

+1