TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook VS MCAT 2015 CARS Workbook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sn95

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! (First post on here)

I've been reading only amazing things (Especially for the old MCAT) about the wonders of the TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook.

I've been trying to get a hold of the book, but I'm not sure about whether to buy it cause
  1. it's selling for ~ 300$ (without shipping)
  2. It's an old edition and I'm not so sure about how much it's still applicable to the New MCAT seeing as the Verbal Reasoning section has had some sections and is now called Critical Analysis and Reasoning Skills (CARS)
I'm willing to pay for it if it is still that useful! However from lurking around SDN and TPR, They have the MCAT 2015 CARS Workbook, which I can get a hold of via amazon. Does anyone have any insight/ feedback on how similar the two are? Or is it closer to the TPR Review Workbook (which I gather isn't as amazing).

Any insight/guidance on this would be realllyyy useful!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, so I have both. The new CARS workbook is mostly the old TPRH verbal book with some passages taken out (mostly science-related topics) and a few new passages added (maybe like less than 5).

TPRH Verbal Book = 43 practice passages + 4 practice tests (7 passages each) = 71 total passages
TPR CARS Workbook = 22 practice passages + 4 practice tests (9 passages each) = 58 total passages

Hey, so I have both. The new CARS workbook is mostly the old TPRH verbal book with some passages taken out (mostly science-related topics) and a few new passages added (maybe like less than 5).

TPRH Verbal Book = 43 practice passages + 4 practice tests (7 passages each) = 71 total passages
TPR CARS Workbook = 22 practice passages + 4 practice tests (9 passages each) = 58 total passages

So you would recommend the new CARS if it's available? Because personally, I'm looking for a the TPRH verbal wb for number of passages and the accuracy to the actual MCAT. Are you selling your TPRH WB possibly?

I was wondering why my new CARS workbook seemed to have way less passages than the TPRH.

I was that student that never knew why I was failing the CARS section when I would always walk out of the test feeling like I aced that section. I was that student that always thought CARS is something you cannot study for. I was also that student that took the test twice and got a 123 both times. The only thing I did differently when taking the test the third time around was that I practiced with more stringent time conditions and with many passages. I also took the passages and pasted them onto a microsoft doc and zoomed out to 120% and practice with this zoomed setting so that I can stimulate the real mcat testing situation. I did it!!! I finally broke the 123 barrier and got a 127. The reason why I am saying this is I was extremely depressed that my score was 123 for the longest time and taking the test a third time was a lot of pressure, but I still managed to improve so don't lose hope! A bit about me…I took the mcat at the end of sophomore year summer after 3 months of studying and got a 26. I took the new version of the mcat having studied for an additional 3 more months and got a 502 (26 again). The third time I took the test I got a 506 (29) and now I'm getting ready to apply! So don't lose hope or get overwhelmed by the # of posts with 510+ because statistics show that there is only 33% of the population getting that score and much lower percentages for scores that are 520+. Only people who do well post so don't let that bother you. Just keep practicing! Good luck!!!

Now to specifically, answer your question……
TPR hyper learning is my favorite resource! I think it is the most representative of AAMC style though TPR in general focuses too much on finding specific sentences that will help paraphrase the answer choice like the SAT but this is not the right approach. When looking back, you should be reminding yourself what the main idea of that topic was, rather than finding a specific sentence….you should be skimming that section and should know where to look in the passage rather than try to skim the whole passage to find that section. EK is also good but it only helps with new information questions….but even then they overdo it sometimes causing you to make multiple leaps of inference and this type of critical thinking is not found in the AAMC tests. The AAMC answer choices have some support in passage even if it is an extrapolated new information question.

Reactions: 2 users