1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. We will be performing maintenance on the SDN forums on Sunday, December 11 at 5:00 AM Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

TPR or EK for someone who isn't great at orgo&physics/graduated last year?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by premedgrl1, 05.13.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. premedgrl1

premedgrl1 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey there. Any recommendations for either the TPR or EK prep course? I have good foundation of all the sciences but I've always struggled more with chem/physics. Would you suggest TPR or EK in this case? I've heard wonderful things about EK, but that was coming from 2 people who were pretty good at chem/physics and taking it at the time. I haven't taken those courses in about a year. I've also heard EK is best for a refresher. I'm need something in between a refresher and a solid review of material. Thanks!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. clairephillips

clairephillips 2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    I took some of my prereqs 15 years ago, so I bought nearly all the major books, but don't have money for a prep course. I found that the EK books were a little sketchy for me and I couldn't understand them in their bare bones structure. I got the 2010 version of TPRH and it clicks with me amazingly well. I read the chapter and work the example problems, then watch the videos from coursesaver and use their quiz. Finally, I work through 1/3 of the problems in the TPRH science workbook on the chapter. I'm making progress and learning what I need to. I tried the BR books but they were so detailed I was overwhelmed. I'll tackle them as I need to when I start doing full lengths. Something similar may work for you.

Last edited: 05.14.14
    bambam92 likes this.
  4. ciestar

ciestar 2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    If you need more of a foundation in the sciences don't use EK. The TPR bio book is very thorough so I'd use that based on what you said you're looking for. I'm pleased with the TPR books. (Other than bio but I need more of a refresher than anything).

5. pepocho

pepocho 2+ Year Member

Last edited: 04.11.16
  6. csx

csx 2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    What was wrong with TPR bio?? I was considering purchasing it

7. doctorgirldaisy

doctorgirldaisy

Pre-Medical
    I don't see anything wrong with TPR bio. I'm using it and have been liking it thus far.

8. ciestar

ciestar 2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Nothing is wrong with it at all!
    I just don't need such a detailed approach so I'm using EK for content review for bio

9. TexasSurgeon

TexasSurgeon Harvey doesn't get cotton mouf 2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student (Accepted)
    THE. BERKELEY. REVIEW.

10. Qester

Qester 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm a big advocate of TPR + Chad's Videos..It worked for me and I was almost a decade removed from my first year sciences

clairephillips likes this.

About the ads