TPR or KAPLAN prep?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tobtolip

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know everyone tells me its relative to the region I'm in. But I was wondering what everyone thought about these programs? I am leaning towards TPR because I have researched Kaplan a little and it seems that most of their teachers are just people who scored well on the MCATS. Whereas the TPR program here uses very small groups.. of course I dont know what the price is...

In other words, which do you think is better at preping you for MCATS?

Members don't see this ad.

I am taking Kaplan course right now. All the insructors are medical students. There is a different intructor for each subject. Some of them do know stuff they are talking about and some do not. It dpends on luck. The good thing about Kaplan is that they have a huge practice library where you can spend all your time and still not finish all the tests that they have.

The number of people per session varies by region also. If you want the real deal, then here it is...

Kaplan and TPR will not motivate you to study. They will at best give you two things: 1.) materials 2.) structure. You can buy materials off ebay, or you can buy examkrackers materials which people seem to like. As far as structure, it will help, but only if you stay motivated and keep up with their schedule. They will NOT motivate you. So if an extra $700 is worth it for you to get a good grasp of the pace and structure, then go for it. Otherwise, buy the materials elsewhere, especially AAMC practice exams.

You probably won't believe what I say and will sign up for a class anyway, but don't say I didn't tell you straight the first time. Good luck! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by Tobtolip:
[QB]I am leaning towards TPR because I have researched Kaplan a little and it seems that most of their teachers are just people who scored well on the MCATS. Whereas the TPR program here uses very small groups..QB]••••Be really careful here! When TPR promotes the fact that they have very small groups, it's because that's all they can get! They'd have large groups too if they could get enough students. The fact is that most people choose Kaplan over TPR. 2 out of 3 med students take Kaplan.

It's fine if you take TPR, but just be sure of the reasons why. Personally, I think Kaplan is better, but I'm really biased.

Don't listen to GoBears' propaganda bullsh*t. He's really biased...translation he is most likely employed by kaplan.

False promises and underhanded marketing techniques are exactly what steered me away from Kaplan in the first place.

I'm sure you've seen the quote about how 4/5 students who take kaplan get into their first choice med school. Yeah well make sure to read the fine print at the bottom...they only did the poll at the top 5 med schools in the US.

In my honest and unbiased opinion TPR kicks Kaplan's butt all over the place. In my area they offered a hell of alot more class hours, and gave us alot more resources.

2/3 students take kaplan because they have more national coverage, not because they are better

since i have not experienced kaplan first hand, i will not say they are worse and bash them...

however for tpr i can say that i know two things: 1. it is _very very_ good in orange county, CA (both irvine and fullerton sites), the instructors are all topnotch and many are authors of the actual review books. out of our 6 or 7 teachers, only 1 was a med student (she was awesome, tho), they improved my score 15 points or so, incredible; 2. people that i've talked to in berkeley, CA aren't too happy with the tpr here

my tpr classroom size was about 15 people, to answer your question

so you are right, it depends on the region

•••quote:•••Originally posted by gobears:
• •••quote:•••Originally posted by Tobtolip:
[QB]I am leaning towards TPR because I have researched Kaplan a little and it seems that most of their teachers are just people who scored well on the MCATS. Whereas the TPR program here uses very small groups..QB]••••Be really careful here! When TPR promotes the fact that they have very small groups, it's because that's all they can get! They'd have large groups too if they could get enough students. The fact is that most people choose Kaplan over TPR. 2 out of 3 med students take Kaplan.

It's fine if you take TPR, but just be sure of the reasons why. Personally, I think Kaplan is better, but I'm really biased.•••••

I'll add that one great thing about TPR was that they showed me how to structure my essays and what kinds of stuff to put in. That was my highest section... too bad it doesn't really count.

Having been both exposed to TPR's and Kaplan's MCAT materials, I can say TPR has by far the better materials. If you work through their Science Review books, I feel it'd be difficult to not score in the double-digits at the very least in Bio and Physics.

I'm currently enrolled in TPR and I really think the classes are a huge waste of time. All of my "teachers" are college students who just happened to score well on the MCAT. They just repeat all the stuff in the Science Workbook. If I had to do it all again, I would just buy their stuff, the Examkrackers stuff, and take TPR's 5 full length practice tests. I'm really not motivated to go to class anymore, because I feel like I can do more on my own. Just my opinion.

Although Chris Farley is not involved, I find the TPR class that I take motivating, especially after taking the simulated diagnostic tests. I have forgotten much of the material needed for the MCAT and the course offers structure. I am also please with most of the instructors.

Having said that, I would first take an old MCAT test or two to see how well I do on my own. I think that the course might be a waste of time if you have just completed your premed prereqs. At that point it should be fresh in your mind.

I have worked for TPR for a year now as an Phy.Sci. instructor -- and i took Kaplan to prepare for the MCAT. So i have a decent feel for both companies. Kaplan is 10 times better at marketing (so they appear to be more popular) but with regard to actual teaching it's a matter of who your teachers happen to be. i'd say TPR materials are more extensive than Kaplans. each course offers 5 practice exams, so that's a tie. i'm not biased toward TPR, just b/c i work for them, so don't worry.
honestly, i think the most important aspect of a prep course is the practice tests/passages. i could've done without going to class, but certainly there are some people who DEPEND on class. regardless of which course you take, make sure you do AS MANY TESTS/PASSAGES as possible (more important than going to class, in my opinion, even though i'm an instructor ;-)

I'm taking TPR right now and HIGHLY recommend it! If you aren't motivated to go to classes, then neither TPR nor Kaplan will help you,... but if you:
1. go to all the classes
2. do the assigned homework problems
3. read all the chapters
4. do all 5 diagnostic tests
You will be very well prepared to take the MCAT. And besides that, the instructors as well as the other students have a ton of first-hand advise about applying to med school, etc.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by ashman399:
•I have worked for TPR for a year now as an Phy.Sci. instructor -- and i took Kaplan to prepare for the MCAT. So i have a decent feel for both companies. Kaplan is 10 times better at marketing (so they appear to be more popular) but with regard to actual teaching it's a matter of who your teachers happen to be. i'd say TPR materials are more extensive than Kaplans. each course offers 5 practice exams, so that's a tie. i'm not biased toward TPR, just b/c i work for them, so don't worry.
honestly, i think the most important aspect of a prep course is the practice tests/passages. i could've done without going to class, but certainly there are some people who DEPEND on class. regardless of which course you take, make sure you do AS MANY TESTS/PASSAGES as possible (more important than going to class, in my opinion, even though i'm an instructor ;-)•••••I don't know why you dug this post up from the grave, but let's get the record straight on at least numbers: Kaplan's got 9 full-length practice tests, not 5 as it was years ago. Think about it, with the amount of money that Kaplan's raking in, they can easily outcompete any company in the amount (and quality) of the practice materials they make every year, and as you said, it's the practice that'll count the most on the exam day.

KAPLAN WORKED FOR ME!

Kaplan teaches "strategies" not material. Their practice test questions ALL focus on forcing you to use these "strategies."

Unfortunatly the real MCAT isn't made so Kaplan bull**** strategies work. If I hadn't done other practice tests outside of Kaplan, I would have been screwed when the MCAT came along. So, unless you need a refresher course on the material on the MCAT, I'd say avoid Kaplan. For MUCH MUCH less you can buy good practice tests and I beleive you are able to check the clock for yourself.

Can't speak to TPR, didn't take it... might be the same, dunno.

(and for all those who are going to say I am angry because I did poorly, I did not do poorly. I was deffinatly irratated afterwards knowing I spent so much money and that it did not really help me at all...)