TPR or Kaplan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

priyanka

Neuro-tic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I'm taking the MCAT next august, but I have to get the scholarships for the course prep early on. So, I need to decide which out of the two companies is the better option. I know this has been discussed before, but I'd still like more opinions.

I am not a person that learns in lectures. I learn more from the material and by myself. Therefore, I really don't care about how good the instructors are.
Basically, I want you guys to grade based on two criteria:
1) How much the Prep course material emphasizes on important topics on the MCAT
2) Which company has practice full length tests that are more representative of the real deal.

I really appreciate your feedback, and GOOD LUCK to everyone taking the test coming august! Just beat the **** out of that sucker!

Members don't see this ad.

im taking TPR and my best friend is taking Kaplan and we have been comparing this whole summer...this is what i came up with

1. kaplan has great practice stuff, tons of it!! some of it even unnecessary. you get FL and access to AAMC test in the centers. you can take as many FL as you want and they will send someone to proctor you...they have subjects tests that are just a whole bunch of discretes put together..they have decent PS and VR books...i thought their BS book was great..if thats what you want from a course - tons of practice stuff to do on your own and you are dedicated and motivated enough then take kaplan

2. TPR has great classroom instructors, i am a classroom learner and everything i know is from class..they have more classes that go into detail about all the subjects even the writing sections. they have 5 practice tests and they give you a book of 4 ridiculously hard practice tests...they give you a workbook and an in class compendium which is ridiculous amounts of practice...the teaching style is what i love about TPR, they dedicate something like 8-10 hours for office hours and some teachers even give you more if you want to go over anything..i find the PS and BS to be very detailed sometimes annoying to read and VR i think TPR is weak in, their questions are very detailed and annoying...so i use EK books for VR...if what you want from a course -is a lot of classroom attention, teachers and more than enough practice materials then take TPR

...what did it for me was, i took their SAT class and i went up 300 pts and my brother took the MCAT class 2 years ago and he went up 13 pts...so my decision was based on experiences and im a classroom learner, i like that there was someone to tell me about whats high yield, whats not that important, how to approach questions, etc...

i hope that helped!

i guess it really does not matter which one you choose.

whichever you choose, you will get basically same materials with minute differences. Just worry about how much time you are willing to put into this thing.