TPR Science workbook bio passages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Addallat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm using the Princeton review hyper learning science workbook for bio passages.

I've been giving myself 7 to 9 minutes total per passage to read and answer the questions. The advance bio passages really beat me up though, I wind up feeling way too rushed with some of them (e.g I wind up scoring 4/7 and generally feel like I could have gotten one or two more right if I had some more time figuring out what the question is asking).

My questions:

How much time should I be giving myself per passage (to read+answer questions)?

* I generally give myself 7 minutes for 5 question passages and 9 minutes for passages with 7 or 8 questions. I spend 2.5-3minutes reading each passage and the rest answering the 5-8 questions per passage. Usually I'll read the question fast, determine if it's answerable right away, and move on to answer the easiest questions first.

Any suggestions on how to tackle the advanced passages? I know to use POE (process of elimination) with my answers, but what else am I missing? Is it wise to spend less time than 2.5-3 minutes reading the passage, skim the passage instead, and then go back to find the answer from the passage after reading the questions?

I'd really like to know which techniques you guys use on tougher passages where you feel short on time.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I would also know if anyone has any good strategies for the TPR bio passages, and bio passages in general. OP, the advanced passages are killing me as well. I am using the TPR 2010 workbook, and passage 12 (an advanced psg, not sure if you've already done it or not) was brutal. I did so bad the first time, that I decided to re-do it after 3 days thinking I may be fresh and then be able to look at it differently. I did even worse the 2nd time! Very unnerving, especially since a lot of people seem to think that the TPR Bio passages are the most similar to the real ones.

Last edited:
I would also know if anyone has any good strategies for the TPR bio passages, and bio passages in general. OP, the advanced passages are killing me as well. I am using the TPR 2010 workbook, and passage 12 (an advanced psg, not sure if you've already done it or not) was brutal. I did so bad the first time, that I decided to re-do it after 3 days thinking I may be fresh and then be able to look at it differently. I did even worse the 2nd time! Very unnerving, especially since a lot of people seem to think that the TPR Bio passages are the most similar to the real ones.

i've heard on SDN that the regular TPRH workbook passages are quite indicative of the real deal, but that the advanced passages are way harder than anything the real test throws at you. so don't use the advanced passages as an accurate indicator.