Summer Sweet

Le chéri, c'est la vie
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Okay based on TPR diagnostic tests, I went from 6 PS, 6 BS, 5 VR, to 5 PS, 7 BS, 5 VR. So...that's not really any improvement at all. I got distracted during PS and VR and my mind started wandering, but after the writing section, I was more attentive and a bit relaxed (as much as the essays suck, writing is less stressful than being bombarded with hard questions).

Anyhow, the time difference is like 2 weeks. The improvement is...well, yeah. I haven't exactly been devoting a lot of time to studying, because I have other stuff going on like classes and stuff this summer. I feel like if I could study and do nothing but study, I could get the material. For most science questions, I look at the topic and I'm like, "oh yeah, I saw this in such and such undergrad class" except I don't remember what exactly I learned in those classes. So yeah, it's probably a matter of putting in a few hours a day, and doing practice exams. But I don't have that much time :(

So of course, it's still the paper test vs computer test, and everyone wants to take it in August because of that, blah blah. Ok, but I'm scared out of my mind because I haven't shown any improvement. On the other hand, I have to take a lot more upper division sciences classes next year, so it might be hard to study for the MCAT then, too. And I don't know if I want to take it any later than next year because I need to graduate and not be ******ed and stay in undergrad for 10 years or something.

Hmm...

Schaden Freud

MiSanthrope II
10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Don't take it- you're not ready and will regret marring your record with a low score. Work really hard on Princeton Review, repeating the course if necessary, and study your textbooks from college.
I don't know exactly why people are gunning to take the paper version- it's a longer test and you have to wait two months for scores! Take CBT when you feel confident and when your practice tests are hovering around a well-balanced 30.

Summer Sweet said:
Okay based on TPR diagnostic tests, I went from 6 PS, 6 BS, 5 VR, to 5 PS, 7 BS, 5 VR. So...that's not really any improvement at all. I got distracted during PS and VR and my mind started wandering, but after the writing section, I was more attentive and a bit relaxed (as much as the essays suck, writing is less stressful than being bombarded with hard questions).

Anyhow, the time difference is like 2 weeks. The improvement is...well, yeah. I haven't exactly been devoting a lot of time to studying, because I have other stuff going on like classes and stuff this summer. I feel like if I could study and do nothing but study, I could get the material. For most science questions, I look at the topic and I'm like, "oh yeah, I saw this in such and such undergrad class" except I don't remember what exactly I learned in those classes. So yeah, it's probably a matter of putting in a few hours a day, and doing practice exams. But I don't have that much time :(

So of course, it's still the paper test vs computer test, and everyone wants to take it in August because of that, blah blah. Ok, but I'm scared out of my mind because I haven't shown any improvement. On the other hand, I have to take a lot more upper division sciences classes next year, so it might be hard to study for the MCAT then, too. And I don't know if I want to take it any later than next year because I need to graduate and not be ******ed and stay in undergrad for 10 years or something.

Hmm...

Chiza

10+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
The reason people are rushing to take the August MCAT this year is because it's the last of the paper format. This is the format that all the companies (Kaplan, Princeton, etc.) have perfected a strategy to pass along to the MCAT takers. The computer based test will be new territory, and despite the fact that the test will be shorter, it may be just as stressful trying to adapt to the new format. All the MCAT companies will now have to change their teaching style after this year.

suicidal cell

Following the TRAIL
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 29, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Is it just your second diag? Why don't you wait until after the 5th one?