1. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
  2. It’s Test Prep Week! Visit the Test Prep Forums to learn about test prep products and services, ask questions in test-related AMA threads, take advantage of exclusive SDN member discounts, and enter to win free stuff!
Hey, Guest, do you know how much will it cost you to apply to medical school? Check out SDN's Medical School Application Cost Calculator and plan your budget.
What can I do to get my MCAT, DAT, or OAT score up? Ask in the Test Prep Week AMA threads.

TPR SWB G-Chem Free Stand No.55

Discussion in 'MCAT Study Question Q&A' started by HealthHare, Aug 29, 2013.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. HealthHare

HealthHare 7+ Year Member

Jul 17, 2010
    USA
    The resulting solution made from the combination of 50ml of 1.0M LiOH with 50ml of 1.0M HBr will be identical in all respects to 100ml of:

A)0.5M LiBr
    B)1.0M LiBr
    C)2.0M LiBr
    D) a saturated solution of LiBr (s)

Picked B but the answer was A. I reasoned that

(MV)LiOH +(MV)HBr = (MV)LiBr so 1(50) + 1(50) = (100)M Libr so M = 1M LiBr

I don't understand why the answer is .5M LiBr, can someone please explain?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. csdanim

csdanim 2+ Year Member

Feb 11, 2013
    To make LiBR, you need the same moles of LiOH and HBr. First find how many moles of each are in the solution. V*M gives 50mmol of LiOH and HBR. that also means there are 50mmols of Li+,OH-,H+,Br-. Li+ and Br combines to give 50mmol of LiBr in total volume of 100ml. Molarity of LiBr is thus 50mmol/100ml = 0.5M

Edit:Your reasoning is incorrect because you're thinking 50mmol of Li+ and 50mmol of Br- will give 100mmol of LiBr.

4. HealthHare

HealthHare 7+ Year Member

Jul 17, 2010
    USA
    Thank you very much, this helps!