TPR Verbal Workbook vs. EK 101

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ACSheldor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm doing both of them right now and it seems to me that EK 101 seems easier than TPR. Is this the general consensus? I know I shouldn't concern myself with scores right now since I just began but how does each compare in reflecting the real MCAT as far as difficult of passages and difficulty of questions goes? It seems to me that TPR, in the beginning at least, has pretty long passages like more than 70 lines, is that the norm on the AAMCs and the real MCAT because EK seems to have between 55-60 per passage.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm doing both of them right now and it seems to me that EK 101 seems easier than TPR. Is this the general consensus? I know I shouldn't concern myself with scores right now since I just began but how does each compare in reflecting the real MCAT as far as difficult of passages and difficulty of questions goes? It seems to me that TPR, in the beginning at least, has pretty long passages like more than 70 lines, is that the norm on the AAMCs and the real MCAT because EK seems to have between 55-60 per passage.

I have done a few PR passages and EK 101 seems much harder to me...I guess it varies from person to person, but from what I found on this forum, EK 101 is the cream of the crop

EK101 starts off relatively easy and ends up being really tough (the last 3 tests are insane, I guess). TPRH Verbal WB is the same way. The last practice test they have in that book is really tough, but the stand-alone passages are pretty easy. I would say they are probably equally close to the MCAT, but neither is THAT close. When you feel comfortable with the verbal format, stick with practicing via AAMC FLs; those are the closest you'll get.

I thought EK 101 Passages was extremely difficult. I can't seem to grasp the reasoning behind their answers sometimes. I have to agree with other posts and say that the actual AAMC practice ones are the best. I got a 12 on the AAMC one and constant 9's on the EK 101. The only reason I am using EK now is for extra reading passages.

Just my opinion...

Members don't see this ad :)
overall i find ek to be a lot harder. the 40 or so passages in tpr before you enter into the 4 tests are quite challenging, however.

right now i'm doing and finding test 3 to be jokingly easy.. anyone else agree?

Lol, i'd hope test 3 was not 'jokingly easy'. makes me feel a bit bad because I felt good about scoring decent on it. but meh, these overall feel just like the AAMC so its all good. Didn't to EK yet though.

and the practice passages before felt about the same level, IMO. I do like this book overall quite a bit.

Lol, i'd hope test 3 was not 'jokingly easy'. makes me feel a bit bad because I felt good about scoring decent on it. but meh, these overall feel just like the AAMC so its all good. Didn't to EK yet though.

and the practice passages before felt about the same level, IMO. I do like this book overall quite a bit.

lol...same here. I scored somewhere around 37/40 on test 3..however I only averaged about 30/40 on the rest.