TPR Versus EK Verbal Strategy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ap594

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Sorry if this was posted earlier (because I'm sure other people have the same question), but I haven't been able to find the information I'm looking for and I've been looking for a good half hour. Anyways, my verbal score is pretty low (I've been getting 6-7 consistently) and I am stuck on what the best strategy is to improve my score. I've never been a huge reader and I think my biggest problem is not focusing on what I'm reading, but I can't decide if I should go with the TPR or EK strat. After looking at both of them briefly, they seem extremely different and I am stuck on making the decision one way or the other. I am taking the late May exam, so I have some time, but shouldn't I just pick one and go with it? (as opposed to jumping back and forth because I'm finding issues with both) And how should I make this decision?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Grab an EK 101 book and try each strategy out with 2 passages. After you get done see which felt better for you to actually use (in other words more natural/comfortable) and then practice the heck out of it until you've perfected it/fine-tuned it for YOU to get the optimal score.

Personally though, I know TPR advises you to rank the passages which is impossible to do because some passages are long and complicated but have really easy questions while others are easy to read but have some hard questions. It just depends on the questions. To me, it feels like a waste of time clicking back and forth through the passages and you should just pick an order and go through it. So for example, sometimes if I come across a really long first passage and I may feel a bit overwhelmed by the length or the fact it has 7 or more questions associated with it then I will just go to the second passage if it is shorter just so I can warm up and then come back to it after that passage or just go in order and come back to it last. Or I might just start at the end and work my way back. That's personal for me though because I've found it helps me save time and gets me warmed up by doing a short passage first and not do a long one and spend 8 mins or longer on it and fall a bit behind from the get go.

Hope this helps,

-LIS

Last edited:
Personally I don't think there needs to be any strategy in verbal. You need to read the passages and answer the questions as fast as possible. Practice reading and answering until you develop the appropriate speed. Don't obsess over questions you aren't 100% sure of...pick a choice and move on.