TPR: When do you start seeing a change in scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drunkpunk

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have only taken about 2 weeks worth of classes at TPR and have only taken one diag test, but I am freaking out since there are only 6 weeks till the test. From those who have already taken a prep course from TPR, when did you guys start seeing some changes in your scores? About how many weeks into the course did you guys start noticing some improvements? Any advice about how to approach the homework and classes? I am aiming for a 35+, and I am a bit uneasy seeing how I only having 6 weeks to jump from a 24 to a score of 35+. Any replies and advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I took the TPR course for the April 2004 MCAt and I didn't see a major increase until Diag #3. Then a huge increase on Diag 4(5R) and Diag 5 (6R). But if you made a 24 on your Diag 1 from TPR, then you are in good shape. I was told that the averages for the first diag are around a 15...so you are well above that. One advice to score well is PRACTICE, PRACTICE, and PRACTICE...you want to be able to tackle any problem on the Sciences without having to spend too much time figuring out how to approach the problem. Practicing can help you increase your ability to attack different types of problems so you can get more right and score high!

What % of people take prep courses? I didn't sign up for one and am debating whether i should even take the MCAT in August, but i'd have to take a year off and then apply. I only took one EK practice and got a 24 and i'm freaking ut. I too was aiming for a 35+. Is this a pipe dream?

Biggest change is typically between diag 3 and 4 (the first AAMC test). Improvement of 10 is definitely possible from 1st diag to real.

Members don't see this ad :)
All my diags were within a few points - until the 5R/6R. Then I bumped 9 points! and even higher on actual MCAT. Don't get freaked out on the Princeton diags. You will see some serious bump action near the end - both because of the tests and because 'everything is coming together'. Good Luck

I made a 22 on first TPR diag (which I was told was good)

18 on the second (#$@%in 3 in verbal). My verbal instructor actually asked me, "what's wrong? were you having a bad day?" "uh...no I'm jus stupid."

22 on the third TPR diag (wtf same as my diag?)

5R - boom, 9 point increase 31 :thumbup:

you will see a sizable boost from TPR 4921 to 4931, and then again from 4931 to AAMC 5R. for me, i got a 22 on 4921---then a 31 on 4931 (9 point increase); and then i got a 35 on 5R (another 4 point jump).

worry not, this headache is by design. ;)

thanks for the replies. I feel a lot better now knowing that a 10+ point increase is possible. :D

drunkpunk said:
So I have only taken about 2 weeks worth of classes at TPR and have only taken one diag test, but I am freaking out since there are only 6 weeks till the test. From those who have already taken a prep course from TPR, when did you guys start seeing some changes in your scores? About how many weeks into the course did you guys start noticing some improvements? Any advice about how to approach the homework and classes? I am aiming for a 35+, and I am a bit uneasy seeing how I only having 6 weeks to jump from a 24 to a score of 35+. Any replies and advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Don't worry, I'm here to put the concerns of TPR students to rest. I did TPR last fall and now I'm teaching for them. I started with a 24 myself on the first diag and ended up with a 39 on the real deal, so yes you can improve a lot from the first diag even if you do start fairly high (and trust me, for most of the students in that class 24 is a high starting point). As far as time till improvment, for me it was a perfectly linear increase, 3 point bump ever time I took a test. But most people start to see a bigger improvement on the last two diags (5R and 6R). These two are real MCATs and I think tend to be easier than the TPR constructed diags. However, don't expect 5R/6R to seem easier...at least for me the test always seemed about equally difficult, its just my score kept going up. good luck

superdevil said:
you will see a sizable boost from TPR 4921 to 4931, and then again from 4931 to AAMC 5R. for me, i got a 22 on 4921---then a 31 on 4931 (9 point increase); and then i got a 35 on 5R (another 4 point jump).

worry not, this headache is by design. ;)

I saw my score improve in the same way. Overall I improved 12 points from my first diag to the real thing. I think that generally Physical Sciences is where the biggest jump occurs.