TPR workbook Chemistry Passage 34

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tshank

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
3. Dilute hydriodic acid (HI) is studied under equilibrium conditions in an aqueous solution. Which of the following ionic forms of HI will predominate in this solution?

A. The conjugate base, I-

B. The conjugate acid, H I+ 2

C. The conjugate base, I-, and its conjugate acid in equal proportions

D. The conjugate acid, H I+, and its conjugate base in

equal proportions

ANSWER (highlight): A

Can someone explain why the answer is not C if the solution is in equilibrium? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

HI is a strong acid, so it will completely dissociate in aq solution. It would all go to I- (and H+) so A is the only option.
In C, the conjugate base (I-) and its conjugate acid (which is HI, not H+) are given as = concentrations, which doesn't happen.

Reactions: 1 users
First thought: I thought if the solution was in equilibrium that means I-/HI = 1 Meaning that both I- and HI concentrations are the same.

Second thought:
Or, does I-/HI = K and K is the rate constant also representing keq, capable of being anything, and is representative of equilibrium concentrations?

When does I-/HI = 1? My guess is in more acidic solutions than HI's pka. Correct?

Thanks!

First thought: I thought if the solution was in equilibrium that means I-/HI = 1 Meaning that both I- and HI concentrations are the same.
No, equilibrium is when the ratio of products:reactants stops changing.

Second thought:
Or, does I-/HI = K and K is the rate constant also representing keq, capable of being anything, and is representative of equilibrium concentrations?
Yes.
When does I-/HI = 1? My guess is in more acidic solutions than HI's pka. Correct?
The pKa of HI is ~ -11pH. If you can get a solution to -11 then you can have a 1:1 ratio of I-:HI.
Otherwise, it'll always be [I-]>>>[HI]

NB: this is for strong acids, of which there are only 6, and you should memorize them.
Weak acids (all others) have much higher pKa's (between the 1-14 scale of normal) and you can easily have situations where pH=pKa so Products:Reactants::1:1