TPRH Science Workbook Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leric90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, retaker here studying for the 26th of april mcat

only had a few weeks to prepare for the first one and now have a couple months until the next one

researched the forum and have only heard great things about tprh science workbook however unlike the tbr material or aamc material, there aren't any threads about how people scored on the tprh science workbook ESPECIALLY how it correlates with aamc/actual mcat scores on the science section

It seems all the people who used the tprh science workbook and did all of it scored in the high 30's

currently i'm using a 2012 version and using the format from this:
q = questions, p = passages

Physics
Kinematics: q 1-62, p 1-2
Mechanics I: q 63-113, p 3
Mechanics II: q 114-140, p 4
Mechanics III: q 141-200, p 5-13
Fluids and elasticity of solis: q 201-247, p 14-23
Electrostatics: q 248-269, p 24-25
Electricity and magnetism: q 270-294, p 26-38
Oscillations and waves: q 295-327, p 39-51
Sound, light, and optics: q 328-425, p 52-62

Gen Chem
Stoichiometry and atomic structure: q 1-17, p 1-17
Periodic trends and bonding: q 18-26, p 18-32
Phases and gases: q 33-45, p 35-39, 41-43, & 46
Solutions, colligative properties, and kinetics: q 27-32, 46-55, p 33-34, 40, 44-45, 47-52
Equilibrium, acids and bases I: q 56-66, p 51-61
Acids and bases II: q 67-71, p 62-70
Thermodynamics: q 72-81, p 71-78
Redox/electrochemistry: q 82-92, p 79-93

O Chem
Structure, bonding, and stability: q 1-37, p 1-4
Substitution and elimination reactions: q 38-64, p 5-10
Electrophilic addition, reactions and aromaticity: q 65-88, p 11-18
Nucleophilic addition and carboxylic acid derivatives: q 89-110, p 19-30
Separation techniques and spectroscopy: q 111-129, 31-35
Biologically important organic chemistry: q 130-138, p 36-45

Biology
Biochemistry: q 1-8, p 1-6
Biological macromolecules, molecular biology: q 9-20, p 7-12
Microbiology: q 21-30, p 13-22
Cell biology: q 31-39, p 23-29
Genetics: q 40-55, p 30-36
The nervous system: q 56-64, p 37-46
The endocrine, circulatory, lymphatic, and immune systems: q 65-88, p 47-64
The excretory and digestive systems: q 89-102, p 65-69
The muscular, skeletal, and respiratory systems: q 103-131, p 70-80
The reproductive systems and development: q 132-146, p 81-87
credit: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=966720

currently doing bio section by section and using khan academy/mcat-review and ek books to supplement

If anyone else has done this or is doing it right now, please chime in!!!!!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'll join. I have been doing the questions/passages in thirds like SN2ed's schedule. As you'll see, I haven't made it that far in the book yet due to being busy with classes, so I'm trying to get back on the ball. As OP said, q-discrete questions, p-passage. (1/3)=first third, (2/3)=second third, ect. So far my scores have been as follows:

Physics

Chap 2
(1/3) q-76% (no passages)
(2/3) q-86%, p-100%

Chap 3
(1/3) q-94% (no passages, saving for 3/3)
(2/3) q-65% (no passages)

Chap 4
(1/3) q-89% (no passages)
(2/3) q-67% (no passages)

G-Chem

Chap 3
(1/3) q-83% p-74%
(2/3) q-100% p-58%

Chap 4
(1/3) q-100% p-68%
(2/3) q-100% p-58%

Chap 5/6
(1/3) q-60% p-67%

Biology

Chap 2
(1/3) q-67% p-80%
(2/3) q-67% p-77%

Chap 3
(1/3) q-100% p-53% :(
(2/3) q-50% p-44% :(

Chap 4
(1/3) q-75% p-67%
(2/3) q-67% p-67%

O-Chem

Chap 3
(1/3) q-100% p-73%
(2/3) q-75% p-100%

Chap 4 (1/3) q-100% p-75%
(2/3) q-78% p-64%

I'll join. I have been doing the questions/passages in thirds like SN2ed's schedule. As you'll see, I haven't made it that far in the book yet due to being busy with classes, so I'm trying to get back on the ball. As OP said, q-discrete questions, p-passage. (1/3)=first third, (2/3)=second third, ect. So far my scores have been as follows:

Physics

Chap 2
(1/3) q-76% (no passages)
(2/3) q-86%, p-100%

Chap 3
(1/3) q-94% (no passages, saving for 3/3)
(2/3) q-65% (no passages)

Chap 4
(1/3) q-89% (no passages)
(2/3) q-67% (no passages)

G-Chem

Chap 3
(1/3) q-83% p-74%
(2/3) q-100% p-58%

Chap 4
(1/3) q-100% p-68%
(2/3) q-100% p-58%

Chap 5/6
(1/3) q-60% p-67%

Biology

Chap 2
(1/3) q-67% p-80%
(2/3) q-67% p-77%

Chap 3
(1/3) q-100% p-53% :(
(2/3) q-50% p-44% :(

Chap 4
(1/3) q-75% p-67%
(2/3) q-67% p-67%

O-Chem

Chap 3
(1/3) q-100% p-73%
(2/3) q-75% p-100%

Chap 4 (1/3) q-100% p-75%
(2/3) q-78% p-64%

Wow thanks for posting! By chance have you taken any full length exams during this process as well and mind posting if you see any correlation or improvement?

Wow thanks for posting! By chance have you taken any full length exams during this process as well and mind posting if you see any correlation or improvement?

(Hopefully this is a judgement free thread) I took my first FL (aamc 3) a couple weeks ago, when I was about a third of the way through content review and at the above point in the science workbook. I got a 22, 7PS 7VR, 8BS. I know that score sucks, but I have a few reasons why I know I can do better. I stayed up too late the night before that test so I was doing it on about 5 hours of sleep. I haven't finished physics yet, my VR score was lower than what I've been averaging in practice because I got confused on how many passages I had left on the test, so I rushed through the last 3 passages only to realize I had 10 minutes left. I've been getting 9-10s on my VR practice passages, so I was pretty bummed.

Once I get back into the swing of things with studying I'll keep posting my workbook and FL scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I practice tprh sw, I don't do passages and questions in bulks. I don't do everything for any given chapter. Instead, I do few discretes and one passage from every chapter.

That said, I've been scoring 70-75% on everything, with ochem being closer to 70% while bio is closer to 75%. Also, I don't usually do well on discretes. I do much better on passages...until I get confronted with one verbal-ish bio or experimental-heavy physics passage, I start to miss the discretes.

(Hopefully this is a judgement free thread) I took my first FL (aamc 3) a couple weeks ago, when I was about a third of the way through content review and at the above point in the science workbook. I got a 22, 7PS 7VR, 8BS. I know that score sucks, but I have a few reasons why I know I can do better. I stayed up too late the night before that test so I was doing it on about 5 hours of sleep. I haven't finished physics yet, my VR score was lower than what I've been averaging in practice because I got confused on how many passages I had left on the test, so I rushed through the last 3 passages only to realize I had 10 minutes left. I've been getting 9-10s on my VR practice passages, so I was pretty bummed.

Once I get back into the swing of things with studying I'll keep posting my workbook and FL scores.

yeah i hope this thread is a judgement free thread as well, - i can attest the mods have been doing a good job keeping it that way

22 is not a bad score at all - your physics score will definitely go up as long as you get your material down pat

verbal is going to take some time - can i ask what your using to study it?

and biology is something i'm trying to raise as well so i'm not so sure as well

can i also ask how your determining the tprh science workbook by chapters? does the sn2ed thread actually split the workbook by chapters as well? - i dont remember if it did or didnt

it seems people who did the entire book scored above 12's on both ps and bs so thats what making me go through it

When I practice tprh sw, I don't do passages and questions in bulks. I don't do everything for any given chapter. Instead, I do few discretes and one passage from every chapter.

That said, I've been scoring 70-75% on everything, with ochem being closer to 70% while bio is closer to 75%. Also, I don't usually do well on discretes. I do much better on passages...until I get confronted with one verbal-ish bio or experimental-heavy physics passage, I start to miss the discretes.

can i ask how youve been doing on the aamc's/full lengths if you have any experience.

It'd be interesting to know if 70-75% mastery correlates to a certain score :)

I get about 1 wrong on a passage, so 85-88% for the passages and anywhere from 50-75% for the discretes. I do the discretes first, and than i review all the content material again, and than do the corresponding passages. Seems to be a huge improvement as well!

I scored a 27 on my first real mcat, so when i take a aamc 4 or something in a couple weeks, i'll definitely post up my full length scores.

can i ask how youve been doing on the aamc's/full lengths if you have any experience.

It'd be interesting to know if 70-75% mastery correlates to a certain score :)

I get about 1 wrong on a passage, so 85-88% for the passages and anywhere from 50-75% for the discretes. I do the discretes first, and than i review all the content material again, and than do the corresponding passages. Seems to be a huge improvement as well!

I scored a 27 on my first real mcat, so when i take a aamc 4 or something in a couple weeks, i'll definitely post up my full length scores.

I'm a retaker. I got 20 on my first take, thanks to 3 on verbal. Last year I utilized AAMC FL's 3-8 and scored an average 22 on them (no wonder I did bad on the real test).

This time I'm doing serious preparation. Last week I took (retook) AAMC 3 after finishing 2 months of content review and minimal practice. I scored 26, thanks to 5 on verbal. I will take AAMC 4 this Friday. I hope to see an upward trend.

Missing only 1 question on tprh sw passages is really good, because those passages, from experience, are very comparable to the ones on the real test. Some are even harder.

Good job!

I'm a retaker. I got 20 on my first take, thanks to 3 on verbal. Last year I utilized AAMC FL's 3-8 and scored an average 22 on them (no wonder I did bad on the real test).

This time I'm doing serious preparation. Last week I took (retook) AAMC 3 after finishing 2 months of content review and minimal practice. I scored 26, thanks to 5 on verbal. I will take AAMC 4 this Friday. I hope to see an upward trend.

Missing only 1 question on tprh sw passages is really good, because those passages, from experience, are very comparable to the ones on the real test. Some are even harder.

Good job!

thanks for your input! can't wait to hear what you did on the AAMC4, if you can update us that'd be great - I'm doing some cardiovascular passages on here and they are killing me - getting 2-3 wrong per a passage, but it's more about having to do with really awkwardly written answers more than anything

thanks for your input! can't wait to hear what you did on the AAMC4, if you can update us that'd be great - I'm doing some cardiovascular passages on here and they are killing me - getting 2-3 wrong per a passage, but it's more about having to do with really awkwardly written answers more than anything

did you do any aamc fl's during your first take preparation?

yup i took the aamc3 7 days before the test and scored a 24, i took a few more and got around 24-25's with ranging scores in the differnet sections but my actual test score was better because i reviewed all the things i got wrong pretty much

this time im making sure i know everything

also on the ek101's i was averaging 10-11's however i didnt practice that for the last 2 weeks of studying so that took a hit on my score, which was an 8

i know if i can master most of this tprh book and do a serious review over whatever content im getting wrong, i'll score above a 12 on each section

Good job!

Is it ok to redo these AAMC tests? I am having the same dilemma. I took AAMC 3-9 last year and dont know whether I should do them again? Did the questions seem familiar to you on AAMC3?

verbal is going to take some time - can i ask what your using to study it?

and biology is something i'm trying to raise as well so i'm not so sure as well

can i also ask how your determining the tprh science workbook by chapters? does the sn2ed thread actually split the workbook by chapters as well? - i dont remember if it did or didnt

it seems people who did the entire book scored above 12's on both ps and bs so thats what making me go through it

For verbal, I'm in a VR class that my schools offers, and I'm also doing a TPR online course although I don't really like their verbal strategy. The one gem I did take from the class is reading the question stems before reading the passage, and writing 1-2 key words down per question. I know a lot of people who disagree with that strategy but it took me from scoring 4-5s up to 9-10s. For material, I have the TPRH verbal workbook and EK 101.

As for the workbook chapters, I forget that it doesn't have them in the there. The topics in your original post correspond to the chapters in the PR content review books. They are as follows:

Physics
Kinematics: Chapter 2
Mechanics I: Chapter 3
Mechanics II: Chapter 4
Mechanics III: Chapter 5
Fluids and elasticity of solis: Chapter 6
Electrostatics: Chapter 7
Electricity and magnetism: Chapter 8
Oscillations and waves: Chapter 9
Sound, light, and optics: Chapter 10-11

Gen Chem
Stoichiometry and atomic structure: Chapter 2-3
Periodic trends and bonding: Chapter 4
Phases and gases: Chapter 5-6
Solutions, colligative properties, and kinetics: Chapter 7-8
Equilibrium, acids and bases I: Chapter 9-10
Acids and bases II: q 67-71, Chapter 10
Thermodynamics: Chapter 11
Redox/electrochemistry: Chapter 12

O Chem
Structure, bonding, and stability: Chapter 2-3
Substitution and elimination reactions: Chapter 4
Electrophilic addition, reactions and aromaticity: Chapter 5
Nucleophilic addition and carboxylic acid derivatives: Chapter 6
Separation techniques and spectroscopy: Chapter 7
Biologically important organic chemistry: Chapter 8

Biology
Biochemistry: Chapter 2
Biological macromolecules, molecular biology: Chapter 3
Microbiology: Chapter 4
Cell biology: Chapter 5
Genetics: Chapter 6
The nervous system: Chapter 7
The endocrine, circulatory, lymphatic, and immune systems: Chapter 8
The excretory and digestive systems: Chapter 9
The muscular, skeletal, and respiratory systems:Chapter 10-11
The reproductive systems and development: Chapter 12

I realize some of these questions in TPRH bio will never be covered in the MCAT and if they are, the MCAT wouldn't require that much background information to be known.

Members don't see this ad :)
I realize some of these questions in TPRH bio will never be covered in the MCAT and if they are, the MCAT wouldn't require that much background information to be known.

Yes, but TBR is much worse than tprh when it comes to difficult and detail-oriented questions.

Is it ok to redo these AAMC tests? I am having the same dilemma. I took AAMC 3-9 last year and dont know whether I should do them again? Did the questions seem familiar to you on AAMC3?

Obviously, I have a biased opinion. I think redoing FL's, especially AAMC can be actually beneficial since it helps you be very familiarized with their style. Your performance may be more-less skewed depending on how much you still remember, but they are the best practice material regardless. Therefore, I don't feel guilty squeezing every little drop of juice out of them.

On avg, I get 70~80% on every single chapter for physics and chem.
I dont really care about what I get on them atm tho as what I am trying right now is to master the content first.

Like what? Are you talking about discretes or passage questions?

There were some questions on the passages that required some extra detailed knowledge that you wouldn't even find in any undergrad passages

For the most part with discretes, I try to memorize them all

Obviously, I have a biased opinion. I think redoing FL's, especially AAMC can be actually beneficial since it helps you be very familiarized with their style. Your performance may be more-less skewed depending on how much you still remember, but they are the best practice material regardless. Therefore, I don't feel guilty squeezing every little drop of juice out of them.

Lol

I prefer the more random organization of the passages for each subject, as opposed to doing passages by topic or "chapter." That is why I intend to start the TPRH science workbook AFTER completing my content review for all the science sujects. That way I can do practice passages from TPRH where the topic tested from the passages can come from ANY chapter of the subject, which makes better simulation of the real MCAT.

Does anybody think that's a bad idea? Your input will be highly appreciated!

How are you guys timing your passages? 8 minutes a pop?

2 mins for reading the passage and 1 min for each question. For example, a 6-question passage should take me no longer than 8 mins to do, whereas a 5-question passage takes me 7 mins.

How are you guys timing your passages? 8 minutes a pop?

I haven't been timing it, but I don't think I've spent more than 6 minutes answering any biology passages.

I'll probably start to time it when doing the physics/genchem

I prefer the more random organization of the passages for each subject, as opposed to doing passages by topic or "chapter." That is why I intend to start the TPRH science workbook AFTER completing my content review for all the science sujects. That way I can do practice passages from TPRH where the topic tested from the passages can come from ANY chapter of the subject, which makes better simulation of the real MCAT.

Does anybody think that's a bad idea? Your input will be highly appreciated!

I don't think thats terrible, but I also think its good doing it by topic because you need to practice a specific topic over and over after you review that content. By doing the chapter's discretes followed by passages you get to be tested solely on that material, then applying that material through a variety of ways by doing the passages. Your practice FLs are the chance to be tested on random stuff, so IMO its better to hammer down your weaknesses first. Also splitting it into thirds gives you the chance to do discretes/passages that you didn't just barely read about, so you get to see how well you remember your content.

I found the PRHL Science Workbook super helpful!

Last edited:
So far this what I've done - since I got the book monday afternoon (Ignoring the advanced passages)
After doing the discrete questions, I would review the content briefly by outlining it - I'm not sure if my improvement in passages really reflect that or if I'm just better at passages than discretes

BIOLOGY

Questions 5/8 62.5%
Passages 27/34 79.4%

Questions 12/16 75%
Passages 26/33 78.7%

Questions 4/9 44.4%
Passages 41/55 74.5%

Questions 14/24 58.3%
Passages 71/102 69.6% There were 2 passages where I bombed, everything else was 1 error per passage

I did 10 ochem discretes (7/10 correct) and 5 passages (26/27:))

Earlier I did few bio passages with success rate of 75%.

Now, I'm reviewing my notes since I'm taking AAMC4 tomorrow.

Great! Keep it up and update us on AAMC4!

Also how much of the tprh science workbook have you done?

Got destroyed today by 9 Gchem passages. :(68%:(

Why do people keep saying this? 68% is a 10.2 out of 15. Obviously the MCAT isn't scored exactly like this, but the MCAT has a mix of hard and easy questions and the difficulty in TPRH-SW is more or less constant.

Terrific score! Have you already been through most of the tprh?

No. Not even close. I have done 26 physics passages, 43Gchem, 43 bio, and 19 ochem passages.

I would say that's about 40% of all passages. I did also approximately 40% of discrete questions. Soon, I think I will supplement my practice with some TBR passages. Although TBR passages are lengthier and more challenging that tprh passage, I think they are better at solidifying the concepts.

Why do people keep saying this? 68% is a 10.2 out of 15. Obviously the MCAT isn't scored exactly like this, but the MCAT has a mix of hard and easy questions and the difficulty in TPRH-SW is more or less constant.

That's true, but you need to have some cushion to compensate for the mental pressure you'll be under during the real test.

hey son of the nafis, how is your Verbal coming along?

On my aamc3 10 days ago, I scored 5. On my aamc4 yesterday, I scored 8. I felt the passages on aamc4 were less convoluted and less philosophical than those on aamc3. I will redo all these passages (aamc 3 and 4 verbal) again tomorrow to gain better understanding of how these passages are constructed. EK101 verbal is only good to improve your reading speed. EK passages bare no resemblance to those on the aamc. I have yet to begin my verbal practice with tprh, but for now, I maintain that no prep material is good enough to master the verbal section.

Thanks for asking

Personally, I have found many instances of 2 answers being correct in the TPRHL Verbal Workbook. I have even brought these to the attention to my instructor and he always gave me the answer of "Well, if you got either A or B, just consider it correct as I think they both are correct."

So, take that with a grain of salt.

I cannot remember where I read this, but the main gist was to do TPRHL Verbal just for practice, but don't fret over the answer explanations. Only focus on the aamc answer explanations because they were the ones who wrote the test. I can't recall if that was the spinach dude, or another poster from SDN where I got that idea.

So far this what I've done - since I got the book monday afternoon (Ignoring the advanced passages)
After doing the discrete questions, I would review the content briefly by outlining it - I'm not sure if my improvement in passages really reflect that or if I'm just better at passages than discretes

BIOLOGY

Questions 5/8 62.5%
Passages 27/34 79.4%

Questions 12/16 75%
Passages 26/33 78.7%

Questions 4/9 44.4%
Passages 41/55 74.5%

Questions 14/24 58.3%
Passages 71/102 69.6% There were 2 passages where I bombed, everything else was 1 error per passage

Alright i'm updating my scores - lol didn't get too much done this weekend, went to a bulls game on friday and took it mostly easy while working on schoolwork

BIOLOGY

Questions 5/8 62.5%
Passages 27/34 79.4%

Questions 12/16 75%
Passages 26/33 78.7%

Questions 4/9 44.4%
Passages 41/55 74.5%

Questions 14/24 58.3%

Microbiology: q 21-30, p 13-22
Questions 4/10 - 40%
Passages 36/48 - 75%

The excretory and digestive systems: q 89-102, p 65-69
Questions 8/14 - 57%
Passages 17/30 - 57% EEEEEK!

Excretory and digestive systems were tough but I learned a lot from doing the questions.
I definitely feel the TPRH is a bit more difficult than the actual MCAT - but thats just my opinion

any update on the bio passages???
this book is so dense!

I did 9 bio passages over the weekend and got 66% on those. I'm going to do more tonight and tomorrow in conjunction to some ochem passages.

I'm expecting to finish the entire book by the end of next week. I still have the TPRH ICC (has a reputation of being extremely hard) and TBR passages.

I did 9 bio passages over the weekend and got 66% on those. I'm going to do more tonight and tomorrow in conjunction to some ochem passages.

I'm expecting to finish the entire book by the end of next week. I still have the TPRH ICC (has a reputation of being extremely hard) and TBR passages.

wow finishing the book by the end of next week? - im trying to finish it by the 26th

also do you think the orgo is worth doing?

Am starting to mix up TPRH within my SN2ed schedule...so,,,will be posting here soon hopefully.

nice UoCfin! we'd all appreciate that, i went through the entire 30+ sticky thread and made a correlation in my mind that >80% of the people who completed the TPRH science workbook scored 12's on PS and BS, while nobody scored less than a 10 on those sections using the science workbook

I could make a graph too, but for now, you guys can go check for youselves :) :thumbup: