TPRH - Verbal Reasoning - 3 Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SKaminski

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an issue with three of the questions/answers in the problems I have done so far.

Practice Passages; Passage 7; Question 6:

Passage Context:
In classical times the need of a creed higher than the Olympian was felt, and Aeschylus, Sophocles and Plato finally evolved from the pleasant but crude polytheism the idea of a single, supreme and righteous Zeus. But the decay of Olympus led to a revival of old and the invasion of new magic cults among the people, while some philosophers were looking to a vision of the uniformity of nature under divine and universal law.

6) Which of the following, if true, would most WEAKEN the author's claim that the ancient Greek idea of Zeus was an evolution away from polytheism.

A. The vast majority of Ionian philosophers never believed in Zeus.
B. The magic cults which were revived were monotheistic.
C. The idea of Zeus also caused the common people to obey the laws of ancient Greece.
D. Sophocles envisioned the persona of Zeus as a single body which enclosed a variety of personalities similar in their behaviors to the former Olympian gods.

My answer: B. If the religions that were replaced by Zeus were Monotheistic, not polytheistic, then it would weaken the argument that Zeus was a move away from polytheism.

TPRH's answer: D. This statement, if true, indicates that the idea of Zeus as "single, supreme, righteous" (line 24) could coexist with a belief in multiple gods. Now the gods express themselves through Zeus, but they may still exist as distinct and identifiable personalities.

My rebuttal: That concept, firstly, sounds more like Pantheism, not polytheism. Besides that small quibble, answer D says nothing about what the religious environment was prior to Zeus. "moving away" from a belief is a comparison between then and now. For these two reasons, answer B is a better answer.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

The way I read it (too the same passage a few days ago), the polytheism was a given at some point and the argument is weather they moved away from it or not.

Then again, it's verbal, you cannot be 100% sure.

Practice Passagse; Passage 9; Question 1:

Question:
1. The author's tone can best be described as:
A. irrelevant
B. irrelevant
C. that of an informed businessman looking for a profitable niche in the medical field.
D. that of a scientist recommending an exciting new treatment.

My answer: D.
TPRH's answer: C.

TPRH's justification:
For C: Yes. the author provides a lucid description regarding palcebos unencumbered by scientific jargon, and makes a case for their use only as high-priced items. While it is a bit of a stretch, this is the best supported of the four choices.
Against D: No. A passage written by a scientist woudl not focus so heavily on promotion and fees (paragraphs 6 and 7). Also, this is not a new treatment; the effect of placebos is "well-known" (lines1-2).

My justification against C. A few quotes: "Unfortunately, placebo treatment centers cannot operate as nonprofit businesses." An informed business man wanting to make a profit would not say it is "unfortunate" that you have to charge a higher amount. "Public health services know that medicine not paid for by patients is often not taken or not effective because the recipient feels the medicine is worth just what it costs him... Therefore, thought it is against higher principles, treatment centers must charge exorbitant fees for placebo treatments." Again, an informed business person LOOKING TO MAKE A PROFIT would not say charing people is "against higher principles", nor would he say that such fees are "exorbitant".

My justification for D.
"Modern distribution techniques can bring this most potent of medicines to the aid of everyone, not just thiose lucky enough to receive placebos in a medical testing program." So, the delivery method (and cost associated with it) makes a treatment (previously unavailable) now viable. That's what i would refer to as a "new treatment". He's excited about it: "Analysis shows that patients getting the placebo are the lucky ones because they are going to be cured without risking any adverse effects the new drug may have... No harmful side effects result from placebos."

There are so many reasons why C is wrong and D is right. Why is C the right answer?!

The way I read it (too the same passage a few days ago), the polytheism was a given at some point and the argument is weather they moved away from it or not.

Then again, it's verbal, you cannot be 100% sure.

Sure, but wouldn't the argument that polytheism actually WASN'T a given (and thus they never moved away from it) a strong way to weaken the authors argument?

Yeah, it's verbal. Love it or hate it you gotta learn it. :\

Members don't see this ad :)
Sure, but wouldn't the argument that polytheism actually WASN'T a given (and thus they never moved away from it) a strong way to weaken the authors argument?

Yeah, it's verbal. Love it or hate it you gotta learn it. :\

In general, yes. But the argument that the author is making is what happened after polytheism, not whether or not it was there in the first place.

In general, yes. But the argument that the author is making is what happened after polytheism, not whether or not it was there in the first place.

Huh. Okay. Because i've gotten this type of question wrong before because of assumptions like mine (undermining the assumption the argument is based on being stronger than undermining the argument itself.) seems i should adjust my thought process... right?

Huh. Okay. Because i've gotten this type of question wrong before because of assumptions like mine (undermining the assumption the argument is based on being stronger than undermining the argument itself.) seems i should adjust my thought process... right?

I am far from authority on verbal, to be honest. I just skimmed over the passage again trying to find some support of what I'm claiming here. I would say that part of it is phrasing the question. The central part of what they quote as a claim seems to be that the idea of Zeus was an evolution away. If the claim was about polytheism or not, they'd phrase it differently, with a bit more accent on polytheism.

There was a good picture in the MCAT meme thread with scumbag teacher: "Both answers B and C are correct but B is more correct." Pretty much sums up VR for me.