Traditional Curriculum M1 Resources

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JeremiahJohnson

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I also go to a traditional curriculum school. In my opinion, the class lecture material is going to be highest yield for your SCHOOL EXAMS. If you want to get a high rank, I'd suggest saving the BnB and Anking stuff until step studying. Just build a good foundation this year and be careful not to rely on outside resources more than you should. There's absolutely a place for them, but they are no guarantee of success. Different strokes for different folks - there's no "right" way to do medical school.

Reactions: 2 users
Depends on how your school does exams. professor written or NBME?

Going through class lectures and anking (if you are doing both 100%) is going to take too much time. most students I know use anking and outside resources and then try and memorize stupid professor-specific stuff right before an exam by looking through the lectures quickly. If professor written and you are trying to ace them you may want to just do the lectures. If your exams are NBME outside resources will be more than sufficient

Sketchy is a must for me for pharm and micro. and pathoma for pathology.

most students use pretty much the same resources (BnB, pathoma, sketchy, Anking, etc.), it all depends on putting the work in basically. Use enough resources to do well but not too many that you get overloaded

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I also go to a traditional curriculum school. In my opinion, the class lecture material is going to be highest yield for your SCHOOL EXAMS. If you want to get a high rank, I'd suggest saving the BnB and Anking stuff until step studying. Just build a good foundation this year and be careful not to rely on outside resources more than you should. There's absolutely a place for them, but they are no guarantee of success. Different strokes for different folks - there's no "right" way to do medical school.
Are there any not-so-apparent reasons to get great scores on school exams (opposed to simply passing) if a school is true unranked P/F with no junior AOA?

Are there any not-so-apparent reasons to get great scores on school exams (opposed to simply passing) if a school is true unranked P/F with no junior AOA?
Nope. But it sounds like OP's school has preclinical class rank

Reactions: 1 user
Depends on how your school does exams. professor written or NBME?

Going through class lectures and anking (if you are doing both 100%) is going to take too much time. most students I know use anking and outside resources and then try and memorize stupid professor-specific stuff right before an exam by looking through the lectures quickly. If professor written and you are trying to ace them you may want to just do the lectures. If your exams are NBME outside resources will be more than sufficient

Sketchy is a must for me for pharm and micro. and pathoma for pathology.

most students use pretty much the same resources (BnB, pathoma, sketchy, Anking, etc.), it all depends on putting the work in basically. Use enough resources to do well but not too many that you get overloaded

Thanks for the responses guys! Yeah the exams are professor-written, so I'll definitely stick to focusing on the class lectures. I imagine I'll keep Anki in as-needed, though.

Would the USMLERx Q-bank still be useful? In-house exams or not, I imagine they'll help reinforce concepts. Let me know what you think!

And my school is "P/F" but there is an internal ranking, so the P/F at the end of the day doesn't mean much. There's also Junior AOA, and while they don't really say how someone earns AOA, I imagine class ranking is a facet.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses guys! Yeah the exams are professor-written, so I'll definitely stick to focusing on the class lectures. I imagine I'll keep Anki in as-needed, though.

Would the USMLERx Q-bank still be useful? In-house exams or not, I imagine they'll help reinforce concepts. Let me know what you think!

And my school is "P/F" but there is an internal ranking, so the P/F at the end of the day doesn't mean much. There's also Junior AOA, and while they don't really say how someone earns AOA, I imagine class ranking is a facet.

Rx is not great to use first year unless you're learning the path alongside (which you're not in a traditional curriculum) or you're being tested with NBMEs (which you're also not). The reason is that most of the qs are asked in the context of disease, which you'll have a tough time with unless you've seen the path. I would recommend using first year review books like BRS, Guyton, Pretest, Thieme's, the BnB q's, Gray's anatomy, etc. This'll give you more than enough qs for each block.

The only reason why ranking would matter is if it's considered for AOA nomination. As I'm sure you know, AOA can be huge for a residency app. You should check your school handbook to see how they determine AOA. If it's not there, I would talk to an upperclassman or email an admin to find out.

I think you should absolutely use Anki, but start by making your own cards. It will help you better understand how you learn in the context of your school's lectures.