• Scariest Story Contest

Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Traditional Curriculum M1 Resources

JackieShields

7+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2014
    I'm sure questions like this have been asked a lot but things change year to year so was hoping to ask again. I did utter **** in undergrad and it took years to repair it but killed my SMP (and MCAT) which was taken along M1 classes at the associated med school. I don't want to repeat undergrad, and hit the ground running taking what I learned during my SMP. I'll be starting as an M1 at a school with a similar curriculum this Fall, and I want to keep this momentum going. Resource-wise, I think simpler is better and was wondering how this sounds:
    • Class Lectures (Exams aren't NBME)
    • BnB Videos
    • USMLERx Q-Bank
    • Anking Aki Deck
    • BRS Physio if needed, and at the very least as a source of PQs
    Any other recommendations? Anything I should add/drop/swap? Also is USMLERx Step 1 QMax the QBank people are referring to when they say USMLERx?

I know people go back and forth whether it's worth using QBanks during M1 due to them being best used for Step 1 prep, but with Step 1 going P/F I imagine that idea will change a little. Also with Step 1 going P/F I'm trying to maximize how well I do during preclinical to assure a good class rank.

D

deleted889094

I also go to a traditional curriculum school. In my opinion, the class lecture material is going to be highest yield for your SCHOOL EXAMS. If you want to get a high rank, I'd suggest saving the BnB and Anking stuff until step studying. Just build a good foundation this year and be careful not to rely on outside resources more than you should. There's absolutely a place for them, but they are no guarantee of success. Different strokes for different folks - there's no "right" way to do medical school.

Reactions: 2 users

Blazers_33

2+ Year Member
      Mar 24, 2018
      1. Pre-Medical
        Depends on how your school does exams. professor written or NBME?

Going through class lectures and anking (if you are doing both 100%) is going to take too much time. most students I know use anking and outside resources and then try and memorize stupid professor-specific stuff right before an exam by looking through the lectures quickly. If professor written and you are trying to ace them you may want to just do the lectures. If your exams are NBME outside resources will be more than sufficient

Sketchy is a must for me for pharm and micro. and pathoma for pathology.

most students use pretty much the same resources (BnB, pathoma, sketchy, Anking, etc.), it all depends on putting the work in basically. Use enough resources to do well but not too many that you get overloaded

Reactions: 1 user
        About the Ads
        D

deleted688779

I also go to a traditional curriculum school. In my opinion, the class lecture material is going to be highest yield for your SCHOOL EXAMS. If you want to get a high rank, I'd suggest saving the BnB and Anking stuff until step studying. Just build a good foundation this year and be careful not to rely on outside resources more than you should. There's absolutely a place for them, but they are no guarantee of success. Different strokes for different folks - there's no "right" way to do medical school.
          Are there any not-so-apparent reasons to get great scores on school exams (opposed to simply passing) if a school is true unranked P/F with no junior AOA?

JackieShields

7+ Year Member
          Mar 12, 2014
            Depends on how your school does exams. professor written or NBME?

Going through class lectures and anking (if you are doing both 100%) is going to take too much time. most students I know use anking and outside resources and then try and memorize stupid professor-specific stuff right before an exam by looking through the lectures quickly. If professor written and you are trying to ace them you may want to just do the lectures. If your exams are NBME outside resources will be more than sufficient

Sketchy is a must for me for pharm and micro. and pathoma for pathology.

most students use pretty much the same resources (BnB, pathoma, sketchy, Anking, etc.), it all depends on putting the work in basically. Use enough resources to do well but not too many that you get overloaded

Thanks for the responses guys! Yeah the exams are professor-written, so I'll definitely stick to focusing on the class lectures. I imagine I'll keep Anki in as-needed, though.

Would the USMLERx Q-bank still be useful? In-house exams or not, I imagine they'll help reinforce concepts. Let me know what you think!

And my school is "P/F" but there is an internal ranking, so the P/F at the end of the day doesn't mean much. There's also Junior AOA, and while they don't really say how someone earns AOA, I imagine class ranking is a facet.

Last edited:

slowthai

holding a barbell.
            7+ Year Member
            Jul 11, 2013
            In my gaff
              Thanks for the responses guys! Yeah the exams are professor-written, so I'll definitely stick to focusing on the class lectures. I imagine I'll keep Anki in as-needed, though.

Would the USMLERx Q-bank still be useful? In-house exams or not, I imagine they'll help reinforce concepts. Let me know what you think!

And my school is "P/F" but there is an internal ranking, so the P/F at the end of the day doesn't mean much. There's also Junior AOA, and while they don't really say how someone earns AOA, I imagine class ranking is a facet.

Rx is not great to use first year unless you're learning the path alongside (which you're not in a traditional curriculum) or you're being tested with NBMEs (which you're also not). The reason is that most of the qs are asked in the context of disease, which you'll have a tough time with unless you've seen the path. I would recommend using first year review books like BRS, Guyton, Pretest, Thieme's, the BnB q's, Gray's anatomy, etc. This'll give you more than enough qs for each block.

The only reason why ranking would matter is if it's considered for AOA nomination. As I'm sure you know, AOA can be huge for a residency app. You should check your school handbook to see how they determine AOA. If it's not there, I would talk to an upperclassman or email an admin to find out.

JackieShields

7+ Year Member
              Mar 12, 2014
                Rx is not great to use first year unless you're learning the path alongside (which you're not in a traditional curriculum) or you're being tested with NBMEs (which you're also not). The reason is that most of the qs are asked in the context of disease, which you'll have a tough time with unless you've seen the path. I would recommend using first year review books like BRS, Guyton, Pretest, Thieme's, the BnB q's, Gray's anatomy, etc. This'll give you more than enough qs for each block.

The only reason why ranking would matter is if it's considered for AOA nomination. As I'm sure you know, AOA can be huge for a residency app. You should check your school handbook to see how they determine AOA. If it's not there, I would talk to an upperclassman or email an admin to find out.

My SMP did do Path along M2s, so I do have the knowledge base (did class lectures + 2 passes of Pathoma during my SMP), but yeah it would certainly be getting ahead of myself to be focusing on systems like that during M1 when I'm going for class rank. I'll stick to the review books as you mentioned, I used the BRS and Guyton questions during my SMP and found them helpful - fortunately, that part of my SMP was 3 years ago so I should be able to use them again.

I tried talking to upperclassman about AOA and I've gotten the response that they don't really know what determines it, but that it seems at the very least you want to be in the top 10-15% of the class. I'll try e-mailing an admin. Thank you!!

Reactions: 1 user
                About the Ads
                This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                7. This thread is locked.