Traditional thoracic surgery residency programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

comomo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a Canadian general surgery resident interested in applying for the traditional thoracic surgery residency programs in the States. What would be the recommended top 10 programs to look into?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I'm a Canadian general surgery resident interested in applying for the traditional thoracic surgery residency programs in the States. What would be the recommended top 10 programs to look into?

Thanks in advance!

There are not a ton of programs overall. Do you want to do general thoracic, cardiac, or a mix? That can help narrow things down.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am looking for general thoracic programs.

This is a list of all the programs:

https://apps.acgme.org/ads/Public/R...SpecialtyId=104&IncludePreAccreditation=false

It would be a bit difficult to list a top ten list as that will vary between people. You will be able to get thoracic training at any of these programs. Some places are more geared towards thoracic (UPMC) and some more towards cardiac (Cleveland Clinic). Look at the different program websites and see how many faculty are listed that you'd work with. If you see two divisions with cardiac and general thoracic, that's a good sign that you will likely get great thoracic training.

UPMC, Duke, Brigham, Mayo all seemed to have great thoracic programs when I interviewed for I6. Cleveland Clinic just opened a two-year thoracic fellowship, and I actually really enjoyed meeting the thoracic surgeons there; they seem to do the full breadth of thoracic and lung transplant.