Traffic tickets and licensure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

link2swim06

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you have had a single traffic ticket for failure to yield to a stop light would the answer to the below question on the licensure form be yes or no? (I didn't go to court for it...I just paid the fine).

Have you ever been convicted of or entered a plea of guilty or nolo contendere (no contest) to any felony,
misdemeanor or any other criminal offense in any jurisdiction, including any offense for which you have received a
pardon?

Members don't see this ad.

While the most logical answer is no, you could always call and ask. In my experience they appreciate the call and it saves you a significant amount of time and worry. Most of the time with just traffic tickets there is no problem and the answer is usually no.

Per google search, most traffic tickets are "civil infractions". Exceptions being more serious crimes like DUI. Civil infractions are below misdemeanors, so I would answer no.

The answer is no, unless your ticket was for "driving to endanger" which might be a misdemeanor (which is unlikely unless you failed to stop at a crosswalk with a flashing "school children crossing" while children were crossing). Otherwise, moving and parking violations are civil and don't need to be reported.

Reactions: 1 user
I think some licensure boards specifically ask about traffic citations, but if they want that they will explicitly state it. Otherwise they say "misdemeanor or felony."

Traffic tickets are not a criminal offense, but rather a civil violation. The licensure board isn't going to give a $#it about that. Probably almost all of them have gotten a traffic ticket at some point.

Last edited:
I think the confusion is regarding the words "...or any other criminal offense" rather than the word "misdemeanor." Many people don't realize that there's a difference between a "criminal offense" and just a violation of a law. Traffic tickets are based on violations of the law, but they're not crimes. The same is true for any ordinance violation.

If you have had a single traffic ticket for failure to yield to a stop light would the answer to the below question on the licensure form be yes or no? (I didn't go to court for it...I just paid the fine).

Have you ever been convicted of or entered a plea of guilty or nolo contendere (no contest) to any felony,
misdemeanor or any other criminal offense in any jurisdiction, including any offense for which you have received a
pardon?

The fine print on these applications states that moving violations don't count unless you don't pay them and a warrant goes out for your arrest.