• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Traffic tickets and licensure

link2swim06

10+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2007
  1. Attending Physician
    If you have had a single traffic ticket for failure to yield to a stop light would the answer to the below question on the licensure form be yes or no? (I didn't go to court for it...I just paid the fine).

Have you ever been convicted of or entered a plea of guilty or nolo contendere (no contest) to any felony,
    misdemeanor or any other criminal offense in any jurisdiction, including any offense for which you have received a
    pardon?

Khaos

I beat the game, now what
    10+ Year Member
    Dec 18, 2006
    Rylos
    1. Attending Physician
      While the most logical answer is no, you could always call and ask. In my experience they appreciate the call and it saves you a significant amount of time and worry. Most of the time with just traffic tickets there is no problem and the answer is usually no.

About the Ads

NotAProgDirector

Pastafarians Unite!
      Staff member
      Volunteer Staff
      Verified Expert
      15+ Year Member
      Oct 11, 2006
      1. Attending Physician
        The answer is no, unless your ticket was for "driving to endanger" which might be a misdemeanor (which is unlikely unless you failed to stop at a crosswalk with a flashing "school children crossing" while children were crossing). Otherwise, moving and parking violations are civil and don't need to be reported.

Reactions: 1 user

Top Gun

10+ Year Member
        Feb 13, 2007
        1. Attending Physician
          Traffic tickets are not a criminal offense, but rather a civil violation. The licensure board isn't going to give a $#it about that. Probably almost all of them have gotten a traffic ticket at some point.

Last edited:

shan564

10+ Year Member
          May 30, 2007
          1. Attending Physician
            I think the confusion is regarding the words "...or any other criminal offense" rather than the word "misdemeanor." Many people don't realize that there's a difference between a "criminal offense" and just a violation of a law. Traffic tickets are based on violations of the law, but they're not crimes. The same is true for any ordinance violation.

Lavan

Jan 6, 2014
            Boston
            1. Resident [Any Field]
              If you have had a single traffic ticket for failure to yield to a stop light would the answer to the below question on the licensure form be yes or no? (I didn't go to court for it...I just paid the fine).

Have you ever been convicted of or entered a plea of guilty or nolo contendere (no contest) to any felony,
              misdemeanor or any other criminal offense in any jurisdiction, including any offense for which you have received a
              pardon?

The fine print on these applications states that moving violations don't count unless you don't pay them and a warrant goes out for your arrest.

About the Ads
              This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
              2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
              5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
              6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              7. This thread is locked.