1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Traffic violations counting as "criminal convictions"?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by burntfries, Aug 8, 2006.

1. burntfries

burntfries Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    According to UVM, apparently they do. Now my problem is, i've received 2 tickets in the past two years: one for a rolling stop, the other an illegal left-hand turn. I attended traffic school for one, and paid for the other. And while I have no problem listing them, I've submitted 5 secondaries before this saying I had no convictions (I didnt' realize that some schools would count traffic violations as convictions until I read UVM's secondary). What should I do? Call the schools and ask if they need to know about my tickets, then ask if I can modify my secondaries? Or is UVM one of few exceptions that count tickets as criminal convictions?

UVM's criminal conviction policy found on their secondary app:

Criminal Conviction

Parking violations are the only convictions you are not required to document. Please follow these guidelines:

For speeding tickets: you do not need to list them if they occurred 5 years ago or longer. For all other tickets, you must list them on the supplemental application. In addition, if you have received four (4) or more tickets in the past two (2) years, you must list them on the supplemental application and submit copies of the documentation of the offenses. Please contact the jurisdiction(s) that issued the tickets to have copies submitted to the Office of Admissions.

Other Convictions: all other convictions must be listed on the supplemental application and documentation provided to the Office of Admissions, regardless of the amount of time that has passed. As noted on the Supplemental Application, failure to provide accurate information may provide grounds for disciplinary action, including dismissal or revocation of an offer of admission. Admitted students who enroll at UVM COM may be subject to a criminal record check before the beginning of classes in August 2007.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mshheaddoc

mshheaddoc Howdy
    Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

You have got to be kidding me.

That sucks. :(

This is the first time I've ever heard of anyone having to list moving violations as "criminal". I wouldn't worry about the other schools. This seems to be a blip on the outskirts of the secondary radar.

4. hopster

hopster Member
    7+ Year Member

yea, that coupled with having to report the populations of the cities you have lived in kinda blew me away. lol

5. QuantumMechanic

QuantumMechanic Avatar=One of the Greats
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    doctors should be so perfect that they do not speed ever...end of story

rocklobstr likes this.
  6. kypdurron5

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    After seeing your title I opened this thread to ask you if you were crazy...but seeing that info in your post I must conclude that the school is crazy instead!

7. somemaybedoc

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    That is psychotic.

8. C.P. Jones

C.P. Jones Catface Majigger
    7+ Year Member

i think most of the other schools say "excluding minor traffic violations", so i wouldn't worry about it for the other schools.

9. rajad10

rajad10 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    how absurd

10. Kikaku21

Kikaku21 Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Wow... I have had speeding tickets but don't remember if they were 5 years ago or not... Give me a break though... Its not like the red flag your application based on speeding tickets... What a joke.

11. baylormed

baylormed On the Search
    5+ Year Member

Post Doc

The school is indeed kind of crazy, although I guess 30 speeding tickets in the last 5 years might be a red flag. You only have 2 traffic violations, so you are by no means a criminal.

My own question is: I accidentaly startedand scratched my mom's car when I was 4 and trying to open the sunroof, does that mean I am unfit to be a doctor????? (This really happened, and I just couldn't resist asking :laugh: )

12. burntfries

burntfries Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    lol. thanks guys...it's good to know that i'm not going crazy. =p

13. GWmdwannabe

GWmdwannabe Member
    5+ Year Member

Well, they ask about traffic violations in the past five years. Unless you're an 8 year old applicant, I think you'll be fine.

14. nekrogg

5+ Year Member

is uvm the only school that does this?

15. TMP-SMX

TMP-SMX Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Cincinnati asks for moving violations and criminal offenses. So no. UVM is not the only school.

16. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper Duffman in Disguise
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm just curious. Can we just turn a blind eye to this whole ordeal?

It seems absurd that you have to report traffic violations under the category of anything criminal.

I know it's wrong and immoral and petty and what not, but seriously, can we just decide not to do so and claim that we didn't feel such incidents were pertinent assuming that someone asked about traffic violations.

There are so many technicalities in the process that I think it's sometimes ok to bend the rules.

Feel free to agree or disagree with me,
    -Dr. P.

17. TCIrish03

TCIrish03 Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    You only admit to what the school requires you to admit to.

If they only ask for "felony" convictions, then don't mention an MIP drinking ticket, let alone a speeding ticket.

FWIW, I am probably not going to bother with UVM anymore. Their loss.

18. nekrogg

5+ Year Member

hahaha i didnt read any of the felony sections for my secondaries... this comes as a huge surprise. i jsut got my first speeding ticket the other day too. i was thinkign id just pay the 200 dollars and get it over with.. but it looks like ill fight it now.

19. TMP-SMX

TMP-SMX Senior Member

Attending Physician
    ALWAYS fight your tickets... Cop doesn't show up means you don't pay a dime and it doesn't go on your record. (Just look spiffy in court).

20. LauraPaz

LauraPaz Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yeah, Cinci is the only other one I encountered that asks for it, but they still call moving violations just that....moving violations. They don't really lump then into "criminal" activity. That seems to be a bit of an overexaggeration of the magnitude of the offense :rolleyes:

21. nekrogg

5+ Year Member

yea.. i was introduced to a site called ticketassasin.com. havent checked it out yet but i hear it works. I was also slapped with a failure to produce insurance too because i was carrying an expired insurance card. ultra lame.. :( do you know if thats hard to fight?

22. TMP-SMX

TMP-SMX Senior Member

Attending Physician
    Yes it is... That sucks. The only way you can get out of "failure to present insurance" or something like that is proving to the court that you had valid no-fault insurance at the time of the ticket. If it was expired you are out of luck.

However, I think it stands in most jurisdictions that if the police officer fails to show up for your court date the magistrate will drop the charges.

Those fines are only there to get your money anyway.

23. nekrogg

5+ Year Member

Oh yea i definently have insurance.. i guess ill fight this sucker and hopefully beat it.

24. TMP-SMX

TMP-SMX Senior Member

Attending Physician
    If your insurance was valid at the time of the ticket then you won't get a fine/ticket after the hearing. Just bring it with you.

25. Depakote

Depakote Pediatric Anesthesiologist
    Rocket Scientist Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Thanks Wiki.

And OP. UVM is the only place that I know of that considers them criminal... Cinci asks for them specifically, but CRIMINAL???

26. Yeah...its crazy. I just filled out a general job application for UCLA med center. Its online and when you want to apply for a job, you can just click the job and the app will be sent. Anyway, it asked for traffic convictions as part of it misdemeanor/felony section too! What is the world coming to? :eek:

27. Haemulon

Haemulon Slippery When Wet
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Traffic violations count as criminal if it involves throwing bottles out of your window while speeding 30+ over the limit with a .19 BAC, while a naked prostitute is on your lap and your best friend is smoking a doobie in the back seat while counting the money he just swiped from the convenience store next to the gas station that you peeled out of without paying for gas before running over a pedestrian and fleeing the scene through a red light. Oh yeh, and your left tail light is out and you have to pee something fierce.

28. Depakote

Depakote Pediatric Anesthesiologist
    Rocket Scientist Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Really, that counts?

I guess I have some schools to contact...