trained outside USA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hemonco

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please anyone knows....
I'm full trained outside USA in medical oncology and I did PhD and postdoctoral research fellowship in USA.
Anyone knows if do I have any chance to get any oncology fellowship without IM? or even less years of IM?

Members don't see this ad.

Theoretically? Yes.

Practically? No.

Your best bet (assuming your goal is to stay in the US) is to start at the beginning. Your other best bet is to just stay where you are.

I know some cases that they did straight fellowship but I don't know how....
please anyone else. knows?

thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I know some cases that they did straight fellowship but I don't know how....
please anyone else. knows?

thanks

I already answered your question. It is theoretically possible to do just fellowship. But you'll have to find a program willing to take you. Heme/Onc is pretty competitive so the likelihood of finding a "good" spot is very low.

Your best bet to get "any" fellowship is to just apply to all of them (you've taken all 3 USMLE Steps, right?) and see what happens. Your best bet to get a "good" fellowship is to start at square 1 and do residency in the US.

Assuming that you can find a fellowship, if you want to practice in the US you will have to meet state licensure requirements which vary from one state to another and usually include take USMLE step 3 and sometimes will require residency so you may have to do fellowship first and THEN do residency. I think that some states have " exceptional" pathways to licensure in which they may recognize other training on case by case basis but that may be very difficult. I would recommend starting your search bu contacting the medical boards directly to know their criteria. Otherwise, it is residency and then fellowship or vice-versa.

Someone had the same experience? lease I would like your opinion !!! stay where you are or start again from beginning in USA( ???????)