Training for a marathon in Med School? Advice appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caniac

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So the Marine Corps Marathon registration opens today -- ran it last year, and want to run it again this year. But, I keep hearing about how med school eats your life, etc. and I'm wondering if it is possible to really put in the miles while juggling courses.

I've looked at the syllabi for the school I'll be attending and there were no exams near the race date -- hopefully it will be the same next year.

Any advice? Is there time in med school to put in the miles?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

So the Marine Corps Marathon registration opens today -- ran it last year, and want to run it again this year. But, I keep hearing about how med school eats your life, etc. and I'm wondering if it is possible to really put in the miles while juggling courses.

I've looked at the syllabi for the school I'll be attending and there were no exams near the race date -- hopefully it will be the same next year.

Any advice? Is there time in med school to put in the miles?

every med student i've ever talked to has talked about how they fit in time to workout nearly every day. They seem to make it a priority because it helps with stress. Especially since you've done it before and it's not like you're starting from scratch, you can probably do it if it's important to you. if nothing else it might keep you sane to have something outside of school to focus on

I know two physicians who have managed it while practicing medicine full time.

I know a profesional who managed while tied to a desk for 40 hours per week.

I know a grammar school teacher with 4 kids who managed it.

You do need to make time for physical activity, for both your physical and mental health. Do your longer runs on weekends; there should be plenty of resources to help you plan a schedule that will prepare you for race day.

Members don't see this ad :)
love the resounding "yes" answer!!!!! :D

Come noon I'll be registered -- thanks for the advice y'all!

Good for you! I've never done 26.2 but I do enjoy running half marathons.

Just a suggestion... I have a friend in PA school who competes in triathlons, and she listens to audio review materials on her iPod on her long rides & runs. That way she can get a little studying in at the same time and doesn't have to feel like she's choosing between training time and study time. I'll have to ask her specifically what she's listening to.

Personally, I like to use my runs as a time to clear my head, not cram more in... but on those occasions where I feel like I'd have to choose between exercise and studying, I think I'd give it a try.

I'm not a medical student (yet), but I've run three MCMs and I just registered for the 35th about ten minutes ago, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

The first two MCMs I ran, in 2007 and 2008, I was working full time about 50 hours a week. In 2009 while I was training for it, at least during the fall semester, I was taking 4 lab sciences at the time and fit in the time to PR. There is more than enough time to fit in what you need to fit in to train successfully for a marathon, especially if you have one of the training programs that emphasizes quality miles (tempo runs, speedwork and one long run per week) over quantity (just running every day).

What's your training program like?

A couple friends of mine trained for Boston and did well. It is more than possible.

MCM was my first marathon (I ran it a few years ago). at the time, I was working 70+ hours a week. I would get up around 4:15 am to run. it was painful at first but soon became easier...and it has since become my normal schedule (up before 5 for a run). I don't know why this wouldn't work in med school and it's probably good training for the clinical years. good luck and have fun!

Its possible as everyone in this thread is saying. In my opinion, the most important thing is to sleep an adequate amount of time (7-8 hours). Otherwise you'll get injured or burn out.

PS: I know a guy that is going to a med school in the mid-west that qualified to the last Olympic Trials. He ran like 2:18 running 120 mi/week. If he did it then you can do it.

Reactions: 1 user