Training Process and Earning Potential for Pharmacists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Surgeonizer

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would someone please clarify the training process for pharmacy? Is a PharmD the same as a PhD? Are pharmacists required to do a postgraduate residency before they find a job? If so, what are the options with respect to residency? My girlfriend is thinking about going into pharmacy. She asked me a few questions last night about the training, but I didn't know the answer to her questions, as I'm currently in my 2nd year of med school and no one in my family is a pharmacist.

Also, what's the average annual income of a pharmacist? What's the income range, and how does residency training affect earning potential?

Any feedback regarding the training process would be great, given that I'm totally clueless about this topic. By the way, she's interested in being a PharmD who specializes in heme/onc.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

heme/onc pharmacist would require a pharm D (4 years after pre-reqs) and a general residency (1 year) and a speciality residency (1 year)
so a min of 8 years... more than likely 10 years... (4+4+1+1)

a pharmd is not the same as a phd its more like a MD or JD... a professional degree

during our residency day at school there was a resident that spoke who was taking the heme/onc route so its definitely been done before.

avg income will vary based on type of pharmacist and i have no idea with that speciality what it would be...

i believe the published avg (at least used to be) around $77K/year however many will tell you they have job offers for $30-40K over that if working retail

this is just a general response...
if you want further clarification i'm sure someone will go into detail or just ask and i'll do it

As stated above, however the average income for retail in the U.S. is ~$100,000 a year, higher in high demand areas, lower in saturated areas.

However clinical pharmacists do on average make less, but as you specialize further I believe you do see a pay increase. I wouldn't be able to cite you any figures based on a heme/onc clinical pharmacist.