Training stipend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Piebaldi

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Alright guys so I'll be starting fellowship this year - some practices say they pay "training stipend" but don't want someone who can't start in the next 6months - how does that add up? Who would pay a training stipend then - a training stipend means a stipend during training, which means that the person is in training for the year.

Someone explain this to me please.

Members don't see this ad.

They are basically just willing to give you a bonus that they would pay to you while you are still a fellow instead of when you start working there.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
They are basically just willing to give you a bonus that they would pay to you while you are still a fellow instead of when you start working there.

I understand that - but my point is, if they are willing to give a "training stipend" doesn't that mean that they are willing to wait until a fellow finishes the fellowship?
If they want someone to start right away why say they would give a training stipend? Obviously someone who is finished or closd to finished does not need a stipend

Maybe you should ask them.

I think they mean salary while you’re training there.

I would imagine that most fellows don’t have a job lined up as soon as they start fellowship. I know some do. I would guess this means you can get an early bonus during training, but they only consider fellows that are about halfway through training.

This means that they really need someone to start this summer/early fall and are aggressively trying to convince a fellow that has yet to sign to sign with them. They are not willing to wait a year or more due to more immediate need.

This means that they really need someone to start this summer/early fall and are aggressively trying to convince a fellow that has yet to sign to sign with them. They are not willing to wait a year or more due to more immediate need.

I definitely understand that - I don't blame any group for wanting and/or needing someone to start as soon as possible if they have the need or are growing. Makes perfect sense. But how does offering a "training stipend" make sense? One group was even offering a "residency" stipend! which means that they would wait for 2 years for someone to join them. I have seen this ad countless times - it's in a not so great city, don't think the practice is the issue. I think the location is not great.

Some groups that have a really tough time finding somebody will do this to lock someone in early. I had one co-resident due this and he had 1yr of residency left and 1 yr fellowship. He took a job in BFE where he also happens to be from, so it worked out great for him since he was about to have a kid and it took some pressure off of him during training when his wife stopped working. My kids were born at the end of my fellowship and it would have been nice to have a stipend for a little extra cash. On the flip side though, my friend can about throw a rock into Canada, so that wouldn't work for me or my wife. Some of these "stipends" also try and lock you into to working for them for a certain number of years or you have to pay them back. I met one ortho resident that signed an agreement like this as a student after he matched into to ortho with the hospital system in the small town he was from. He was expected to work for them for 5 yrs though or pay the stipend back I believe, but he lived a lot better than most residents. Desirable locations are not going to offer this. Also never trust ads. Many of them are BS. When I was job hunting again a yr ago I was looking at Ads that I remember being present when I was still a fellow. No proof, but I think many of them are just ways for recruiters to get your info so the can contact you and attempt sell you on other locations they have or do locums work.

Some groups that have a really tough time finding somebody will do this to lock someone in early. I had one co-resident due this and he had 1yr of residency left and 1 yr fellowship. He took a job in BFE where he also happens to be from, so it worked out great for him since he was about to have a kid and it took some pressure off of him during training when his wife stopped working. My kids were born at the end of my fellowship and it would have been nice to have a stipend for a little extra cash. On the flip side though, my friend can about throw a rock into Canada, so that wouldn't work for me or my wife. Some of these "stipends" also try and lock you into to working for them for a certain number of years or you have to pay them back. I met one ortho resident that signed an agreement like this as a student after he matched into to ortho with the hospital system in the small town he was from. He was expected to work for them for 5 yrs though or pay the stipend back I believe, but he lived a lot better than most residents. Desirable locations are not going to offer this. Also never trust ads. Many of them are BS. When I was job hunting again a yr ago I was looking at Ads that I remember being present when I was still a fellow. No proof, but I think many of them are just ways for recruiters to get your info so the can contact you and attempt sell you on other locations they have or do locums work.

Sure - this place though is close to where I was working before, so it works well for me. And I know I gave similar advice to a resident recently who was being offered a stipend but ths does not seem like it would have to be paid back so I think I'm good in that regards, but my point is that it doesn't make a ton of sense to offer one but then want someone immediately. That's all. I guess I won't push it - I'll get in touch with them a few more months into my fellowship, after summer is over when current fellows are all settled

I thought you already did a Fellowship?

and now she is trying to trash a recruiter on another job thread but got owned by the recruiter. this person has issues with a great many things

Reactions: 1 users
Piebaldi, I have brought this issue and asked you about this issue back in May when you first had the problem. I e-mailed you and phoned you personally and did not hear anything back from you. Prior to you posting your first issue about recruiters-you and I actually had a direct conversation and you were given a few positions from our offices to look at. You did not get back to us.
Sacredlearner13-I have not received any messages or e-mails from any candidate multiple of times. We have been in business for 25 years, and no, not out of business now. Please feel free to PM me here with your name/e-mail, etc and I will research as to what happened. We do not have any outstanding messages or e-mails.
I, and my team, try to be very respectful of every posting and job that we supply here. I would like to have a chance to defend this action or correct us dropping the ball prior to being called out on it.

Here’s the part where her lapse in memory gets “corrected.” This has gotten old. Some (many) of the posts are at troll level.

Yes...... something is amiss with her