Traits of Dentists vs. Doctors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I understand where you are coming from with this post. But I disagree I love dentistry and want to use it as a medium to revolutionize healthcare. I think it depends on the person-how much of an impact they want to make
Dentistry occupies such a small portion of healthcare that it's unrealistic that this single profession would revolutionize healthcare delivery as a whole. Why is that Obamacare has so many provisions for medicine but little to none for dentistry? When it comes down to a financial crunch, people would much rather forfeit their dental insurance long before forfeiting their medical insurance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Health care is fine. In fact, I don't know an industry that is devoted to improvements and self betterment than health care. Attend a hospital M&M lecture some time. You'll be amazed at the degree that improvements are considered and failures are discussed.

The problem is paying for health care and notion that everyone should have it. No industry can live up to that and maintain a maximum standards.

"Generally"

Get real, you have no idea about "revolutionizing healthcare." Dentistry occupies such a small portion of healthcare that it's unrealistic that this single profession would revolutionize healthcare delivery as a whole. Why is that Obamacare has so many provisions for medicine but little to none for dentistry? When it comes down to a financial crunch, people would much rather forfeit their dental insurance long before forfeiting their medical insurance.

There's definitely a public policy side to dentistry - however small it may be. "Access to care" (whatever that means...) is a hot-button issue. Enter mid-level providers, new dental schools opening, etc etc. Not to mention the push to emphasize preventative dentistry as a way of saving significantly in long-term costs to patient and taxpayers. If someone wants to devote their life to policy and public health, godspeed. We need them and I sure don't want to do it!

Members don't see this ad :)
DMD can receive six figure salaries as soon as they graduate...does that count as trait??

Do what you like/enjoy. In the end, it really doesn't matter. You are going to do this for 8 hours a day for the next 20 years of your life. If looking at teeth isn't your cup of tea then don't do it. If examining skin isn't your cup of tea, then don't be a dermatologist.

It's a simple as that. If you have any questions, doubts, or have superficial thoughts like "prestige", "respect", "money", then I suggest:

Taking a year off, getting a job, and maturing a little before going into dental school. Once you start working, you'll realize that in the end it really doesn't matter, and you are stuck with what you chose- and hopefully- you chose on the right reasons (because you enjoy it), and not the wrong ones.

In addition, I can bet that if you go into a profession that you like, you will end up doing "more" then the other predicament. I go to ADA conferences because I enjoy it. I go to seminars because I enjoy it. I get INVOLVED because I enjoy it.

Ironically enough, my two friends that are pre-med are quite out of shape/eat large amounts of unhealthy food. Both have "gunner" qualities too, out to better themselves in anyway possible even if it means screwing others over in the process

is the amount of educational years required to be a DDS the same as DPM?

Last edited:
DPM is a podiatrist

Both podiatrists and orthopods do surgeries on feet. Podiatrists and primary care physicians do non-surgical foot care.

DPM's and MDs are in competition. I guess you could rank MDs>DPM because they have more power and scope of practice.

DMD's aren't in competition with either of the other professions. Since dentists and physicians don't work on the same turf, it's difficult to rank them. It'd be like ranking actuaries and lawyers. (I guess you could rank by pay, quality of life, stress, etc but you'd be opening up another can of worms.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Neither of us are truly doctors if you examine the origin of the work one must go through to become a true "doctor". I think this argument is better phrased as medical physician vs. dentist ... and its obvious that dentists are cooler ;)

The problem is paying for health care and notion that everyone should have it. No industry can live up to that and maintain a maximum standards.

I agree.

A medical school student told me that he and his buds go to look at the dental school students cause they are happier and prettier/handsomer.

I envision this really pathetic scene of them with noses pressed against glass.

A medical school student told me that he and his buds go to look at the dental school students cause they are happier and prettier/handsomer.

I envision this really pathetic scene of them with noses pressed against glass.

:thumbup: hahaha! hilarity

So we've discussed the DMD vs MD debate before. But I want to hear everyone's thoughts on what you think are the different personality traits or skills that are required of a dentist vs a doctor.
i would say dentists are more introverted and physicians extroverted

Last edited:
MD = more girls
DDS = less girls

MD = more social
DDS = nerbs, dweebs, no social skills

MD = work alot of hours (very much like Grey's anatomy), saving lifes, etc
DDS = root canals, smelly mouths, and lets not forget, the once in a year chance to deal with necrotizing ulcerative gingivitis

MD = smart (just compare MCAT & DAT, wait, go a head a start a thread bout this)
DDS = not so much

MD = The cool 3-10 years of residency life (again, grey's anatomy)
DDS = not so much residency (ewwwww)

MD = Lamborghinis, ferraris, fast cars, hot chicks, and house(s) on a lake
DDS = Honda Civics, red pickup trucks, and old 80s sports cars

MD = of course, more $$$
DDS = almost always end up homeless

MD = you get to call them "Doctor"
DDS = lols

Lol, thanks for that.

Reactions: 1 user
I love how all these threads are being picked up by people who are insecure about becoming MD's/DO's - or worse, are unable to get into any of these professions

Reactions: 2 users