trans health group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AllAboutUCSF

More than an MCAT score
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello.

If you already feel inclined to make some asanine remark about trans people, please stop reading right now.

I am interested in starting an organization for medical students interested in trans health issues (to the best of my knowledge no such group exists on a national level). The primary purpose of said group would be education and advocacy. If enough people are interested, we could eventually have conferences and conduct original research. Anyway this group could at least be a source of useful information for providers and policy makers.

I imagine the first step will be making a website and e-mail listserv. Then we can work on drafting a mission statement and exploring chapter interest at our respective schools.

Here are some goals I identified off the top of my head, but this list is likely to change many times:

As advocates of improved health and well-being for the broader trans community, we adhere to the following goals:
-promotion of provider awareness and sensitivity towards trans persons in all clinical health fields
-training more physicians to meet specific trans health needs
-encouragement of major insurance providers and Medicaid to cover gender care
-recognition of SRS as a valid and reasonable medical procedure
-reduction of the prevailing eligibility requirements for SRS; provision of hormone antagonists to qualified youth by age 12 and cross-sex hormones by age 14
-removal of SRS as a precondition for recognition as a legal member of a given sex
-provision of complete anatomical care while affirming the patient's gender identity
-quantifying and addressing trans health disparities, especially among low income and/or minority urban youth, including recognition of homelessness, unsafe sex, drug abuse, HIV infection, silicone use and lack of provider access as serious, but fixable problems.
-advocacy for trans persons on a national policy level (non-discrimination, affirmative action, etc)

Again, contact me if you are genuinly interested in productive collaboration. Please, don't embarrass yourself by posting any stupid comments.
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck with some of those goals. Your chances of getting anyone to support giving hormones to kids that don't need it are about as good as getting them to start paying for anabolic injections for middle school athletes.

And when insurance starts paying for cosmetic surgery for anyone that wants it, I am sure they will start paying for gender reassignments also. After all, body dysmorphic disorder is a real disease too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious, not trying to be mean or start a flame war, but what exactly are "trans specific health issues"? I was under the impression that a "trans" individual was still either male or female biologically, and would thus be at risk for the typical STDs and related risks that everyone else faces...

Are you an actual MS or one of those people calling themselves a med student because they sent their matriculation for back? I'm not trying to be rude, but I ask because your school may have a very active LGBT group that you can go through to network with other schools and form a larger group. My schools LGBT group is amazing and I'm sure they would love to collaborate on a national level.

Hello.

If you already feel inclined to make some asanine remark about trans people, please stop reading right now.

I am interested in starting an organization for medical students interested in trans health issues (to the best of my knowledge no such group exists on a national level). The primary purpose of said group would be education and advocacy. If enough people are interested, we could eventually have conferences and conduct original research. Anyway this group could at least be a source of useful information for providers and policy makers.

I imagine the first step will be making a website and e-mail listserv. Then we can work on drafting a mission statement and exploring chapter interest at our respective schools.

Here are some goals I identified off the top of my head, but this list is likely to change many times:

As advocates of improved health and well-being for the broader trans community, we adhere to the following goals:
-promotion of provider awareness and sensitivity towards trans persons in all clinical health fields
-reduction of the prevailing eligibility requirements for SRS; provision of hormone antagonists to qualified youth by age 12 and cross-sex hormones by age 14
-removal of SRS as a precondition for recognition as a legal member of a given sex
-provision of complete anatomical care while affirming the patient's gender identity
-quantifying and addressing trans health disparities, especially among low income and/or minority urban youth, including recognition of homelessness, unsafe sex, drug abuse, HIV infection, silicone use and lack of provider access as serious, but fixable problems.
-advocacy for trans persons on a national policy level (non-discrimination, affirmative action, etc)

Again, contact me if you are genuinly interested in productive collaboration. Please, don't embarrass yourself by posting any stupid comments.
Thank you.

Insurance companies sometimes won't pay for liver transplants... good luck

Hello.

Thank you.

Holy euphamisms!

Moving to Topics in Healthcare as this is not an Allopathic-specific issue but a HEALTHCARE issue.

As you've been moved once, we'll let this stay here. In the future, it probably belongs in Minorities in Healthcare.

...provision of hormone antagonists to qualified youth by age 12 and cross-sex hormones by age 14
:eek:
In 2002, the Women's Health Initiative ended their HRT trials early due to an increase in cardiovascular disease in the women taking it. Now, if estrogen/progestin supplementation is unhealthy in biological women, whose bodies make similar stuff, what are the long-term effects in biological men, MTF transgender individuals who take higher doses to achieve the desired feminizing effect?

:eek:
In 2002, the Women's Health Initiative ended their HRT trials early due to an increase in cardiovascular disease in the women taking it. Now, if estrogen/progestin supplementation is unhealthy in biological women, whose bodies make similar stuff, what are the long-term effects in biological men, MTF transgender individuals who take higher doses to achieve the desired feminizing effect?

Not to mention that we will be providing it to 12 year olds who are still growing and developing and whose natural hormones are already going haywire. I have no problem with adults making an informed decision to undergo hormone therapy. Putting high dose sex hormones into teenagers who normally undergo a lot of gender and sexuality crises during these years, is unwise and unsafe. If mom won't sign the permission slip, wait until you are 18.