Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

transcript question, help....

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Kevin883, Nov 14, 2002.

1. Kevin883

Kevin883 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I got Bachelor's degree from one country other than US, and then got Master's degree from UF. In my transcript of UF, all of my grades are using A/B/C system. However, in my undergraduate transcript, they don't use A/B/C grade, instead, they use numbers, such as 90, 80 (100 is full score).

My question is that when you guys fill out the AMCAS application, do you need to fill out A/B/C for each course, and then calculate GPA by yourself? or you don't need to do anything, and the staff of AMCAS will calculate the GPA for you based on whatever appeared in transcript?

Since it's different grading system from US, I am afraid it will cause confusion for AMCAS although my transcript is written in English. Thanks a lot.

2. tBw

tBw totally deluded
    7+ Year Member

for foreign course-work, unless it was taken at a US school abroad or through a study-abroad program for which you got credit at your home (US) institution you do not put down grades. You are allowed to enter all the courses/exams you took, but you mark them all as "foreign coursework" and then your grades do not get entered and do not figure into your GPA. Schools may later request you to have your original coursework evaluated (at your expense) at an evaluation company of their choosing.

3. tBw

tBw totally deluded
    7+ Year Member

No. I have a foreign degree, I filed AMCAS this year. The instructions are unambiguous. Foreign degree work is not included in the GPA, and you cannot report your scores.

4. Polar girl

Polar girl Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I somehow missed the foreign part. I deleted it as soon as I saw your post (which was before mine, but this site is taking so damn long to load for me today.)

5. tBw

tBw totally deluded
    7+ Year Member

:) yeah, I understand - I wasn't trying to be mean correcting, I just didn't want the OP to be mislead, it's such a confusing process when you have foreign transcripts... No harm, no foul ;)

6. Kevin883

Kevin883 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

the boy wonder:

Thanks a lot for your information. But if we can't report GPA for undergraduate school from foreign countries, does that mean there is NO GPA number for us for undergraduate? So in this case, MCAT is the only number that they can use to review our application?

It must not be good if MD school we applied use both GPA and MCAT scores to filter applicants since we don't have GPA number available.

7. tBw

tBw totally deluded
    7+ Year Member

thats right. They won't have an undergrad GPA for you. Schools are reviewing my app based on MCAT and 40 credits of postbac classes I have taken in the US. You will however have your graduate GPA.

8. Kevin883

Kevin883 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I appreciate your help, the boy wonder. I think we have to have a good MCAT score to compensate our foreign transcript.

Another quick question, although AMCAS doesn't allow us to enter scores based on foreign transcript, but we still have to submit foreign transcript to AMCAS, right?

Good luck for your application. I will apply next year.

9. tBw

tBw totally deluded
    7+ Year Member

No, you don't send foreign transcripts to AMCAS. Sometimes schools may request them individually (eg Columbia, although as they are non-AMCAS they just needed all transcripts).

good luck