Transcription Service

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ostap747

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you recommend a reliable medical transcription company that does not charge an arm and a leg ?:)

Members don't see this ad.

I use Dictation Solutions. You can call their dictation number but I prefer to use a recorder so they bought me a hand-held recorder. After I'm done, I plug in the USB cable and upload the files to their ftp site. They email me the transcriptions.

I sent them MS WORD templates to use for my notes. The templates have responses already typed in so I just have to dictate what to change. For example, in the ROS the template might say "No dysuria, hematuria, urgency, incontinence". If the patient has stress incontinence I will dictate "GU: Chronic stress incontinence" and they will change it. Same for the physical exam - all the default findings are normal and I just dictate the ones to change. Saves time dictating and they gave me a discount on notes that use the templates.

Very pleased with their service.

would an in-house program - voice recognition type system be just a effective or more cost effective over the long term rather than paying per dictation.

Members don't see this ad :)
would an in-house program - voice recognition type system be just a effective or more cost effective over the long term rather than paying per dictation.

I have found that dragon, although better than before, is still more time consuming than dictating. (can't talk as fast)

I tried Dragon a couple years ago, with about 95% accuracy. But that 5% made it a PITA. I dropped it.

using Dragon 9.5 with custom made templates in Amazing Charts.Had problem with prior version and bought medical version with service that thought 2 Russian speaking docs in our community how to use it.Works well most of the time and almost flawless with medical expressions"lumbosacral,fluoroscopy" etc, but less stellar with regular English

Anyone have personal experience with the mac version- ispeak? I have heard it works pretty well and for special terminology quite easy to train.

initially i thought it was a joke....

I tried Dragon a couple years ago, with about 95% accuracy. But that 5% made it a PITA. I dropped it.

The newest version is a lot more accurate. Get the Medical version. We have been using it with templates in Medinotes with good results. However Medinotes has now been bought out two times by different companies (most recently Allscripts). It was supposed to migrate to the new system in January, still waiting.

i am aggravated w/ the whole transcription/emr migration thing

i can dictate a f/u in 1-1.5 minutes... and then pay somebody to transcribe, files go back and forth, and hopefully the file ends up in the right place
i can dictate w/ dragon medical which can take 3-5 minutes... argh...
or i can click/template in an EMR for 5 minutes....

argh...

using voice recognition software will make you want to kill yourself. i had to use it for a while in training, and the only solace i had was that i knew that i would NOT be using it when i was done training. serious time killer, and productivity way way down. the lure of the presumed decrease in overhead is not even close to worth it, IMHO. you will be so aggravated you will want to through the headset out the window

using Dragon 9.5 with custom made templates in Amazing Charts.Had problem with prior version and bought medical version with service that thought 2 Russian speaking docs in our community how to use it.Works well most of the time and almost flawless with medical expressions"lumbosacral,fluoroscopy" etc, but less stellar with regular English

running the same as you...

you really have to check dragon, it makes many mistakes, kind of a PITA...
i am speaking slower and reading as i go now, which is making it better, but far from perfect. but better than typing.

running the same as you...

you really have to check dragon, it makes many mistakes, kind of a PITA...
i am speaking slower and reading as i go now, which is making it better, but far from perfect. but better than typing.

We are using version 10.1, better than version 9. Version 11 is out but don't know if the medical version has been upgraded yet.

How do you file your reports? paperchart? or EMR?

I use Dictation Solutions. You can call their dictation number but I prefer to use a recorder so they bought me a hand-held recorder. After I'm done, I plug in the USB cable and upload the files to their ftp site. They email me the transcriptions.

I sent them MS WORD templates to use for my notes. The templates have responses already typed in so I just have to dictate what to change. For example, in the ROS the template might say "No dysuria, hematuria, urgency, incontinence". If the patient has stress incontinence I will dictate "GU: Chronic stress incontinence" and they will change it. Same for the physical exam - all the default findings are normal and I just dictate the ones to change. Saves time dictating and they gave me a discount on notes that use the templates.

Very pleased with their service.

using voice recognition software will make you want to kill yourself. i had to use it for a while in training, and the only solace i had was that i knew that i would NOT be using it when i was done training. serious time killer, and productivity way way down. the lure of the presumed decrease in overhead is not even close to worth it, IMHO. you will be so aggravated you will want to through the headset out the window

I have to agree with that. The recorder is so much more practical. Plus who wants to proof all their vr transcripts.

most dictation services use voice recognition software as their first analysis of the data.... in fact, some transcription systems are so sophisticated they run several cycles of voice recognition, merge that data and then have human eye balls run through the dictation...