transcripts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ocdp09

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i took summer school last summer...didnt do to well (i had no time to study, big mistake on my part to take the school..but i did and got 2 F's) my university transcript is really good, when i apply to medical school, do i have to show my summer school transcript from the community college even if i didnt transfer the credits to my university...and if i do have to show them, what if i just said i didnt take any summer school at the community college, could i get away with it?

Members don't see this ad.

i took summer school last summer...didnt do to well (i had no time to study, big mistake on my part to take the school..but i did and got 2 F's) my university transcript is really good, when i apply to medical school, do i have to show my summer school transcript from the community college even if i didnt transfer the credits to my university...and if i do have to show them, what if i just said i didnt take any summer school at the community college, could i get away with it?

NO. count your blessings that you didn't transfer those classes, and move on with life.

Yes, you must show all college work. Could you get away with not providing the information? Maybe you could but it would fall under "falsification of academic record". Could you sleep at night knowing that you had a ticking timebomb sitting in every admissions office?

A couple of Fs (3 credits each) will drop a total gpa by ~.18 so it is a pretty significant hit but if your university record is good and you make some explanation on your application, you may survive.

Members don't see this ad :)
YES! Officially, when you approve your AMCAS you are saying that you have submitted all transcripts from any college you went to, that includes CC's. It's something I wish I had known as an Undergrad, b/c I did something similar. If you don't and it's discovered later for some reason, then it's grounds for expulsion from medical school.

You are required to provide copies of all college-level transcripts. No, you will not get away with failing to report all your college level classes. AMCAS has other means of determining your past academic history. Honesty is felt to be a desirable characteristic in a future physician. Don't call attention to your lack of it.

NO. count your blessings that you didn't transfer those classes, and move on with life.
^^^ Wrong. You need to list all attempted college coursework, regardless of where/when it was done.

A second to all the people saying yes, AMCAS can search for your academic records by social security number so they can find classes you didn't list. As your medical school will become your future point of contact for all of your previous academic records they require you to submit, well, all your records. Fail to do this and get caught and you can /wavebybye to school/licensure.

If you're good with a colored pencil, you can draw an F to look like an A really easily. If that's too much of a stretch, an F can be drawn over to look like a B really easily.

If you're good with a colored pencil, you can draw an F to look like an A really easily. If that's too much of a stretch, an F can be drawn over to look like a B really easily.
:lol: :lol:

Oh... my... gossshhhhh....... I think bbabul01 is on to something! THE ANSWER TO ALL OF OUR PROBLEMS!

Also useful for correcting patient charts. Say, I didn't give that stroke patient warafin, it was tPA...:idea:

well i guess im screwed...should i even retake the classes? it was some geography class and calculus 2...i was planning on taking calculus 2 and some science class over the summer at my university

well i guess im screwed...should i even retake the classes? it was some geography class and calculus 2...i was planning on taking calculus 2 and some science class over the summer at my university

You are not yet screwed. At this point you can either absorb the hit and move on, or attempt to retake these classes to demonstrate that it was not innate stupidity that caused you to get the failing grades, but rather some one-time circumstance. In either case, with an otherwise good academic record this should not be an absolute deal-killer.

You WILL be screwed, however, if you lie on your application. And yes, omission = lying. Even if you aren't found out during the admissions process (unlikely you'd even make it that far), your lie could come back to bite you at any time in the future and destroy everything you've worked for -- up to and including having your medical degree revoked.

You are at an important decision point. If you just suck it up now and deal with it, you have the opportunity to avoid an absolute living nightmare in the future. Best of luck in making the right decision.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, you must show all college work. Could you get away with not providing the information? Maybe you could but it would fall under "falsification of academic record". Could you sleep at night knowing that you had a ticking timebomb sitting in every admissions office?

A couple of Fs (3 credits each) will drop a total gpa by ~.18 so it is a pretty significant hit but if your university record is good and you make some explanation on your application, you may survive.

Could this person maybe NOT include it on his AMCAS, but then immediately send a letter to all the schools he applied to, INCLUDE THOSE GRADES in the letter, and write up an explanation of those grades? This would give an accurate representation of his academic abilities on his AMCAS (assuming the Fs were a sore thumb in a long string of As).

I'm asking because it would feel unfair for me personally if I had a stellar GPA at my university, but 2 Fs from a few summers ago were killing it.

Could this person maybe NOT include it on his AMCAS, but then immediately send a letter to all the schools he applied to, INCLUDE THOSE GRADES in the letter, and write up an explanation of those grades? This would give an accurate representation of his academic abilities on his AMCAS (assuming the Fs were a sore thumb in a long string of As).

I'm asking because it would feel unfair for me personally if I had a stellar GPA at my university, but 2 Fs from a few summers ago were killing it.

Uh, yes....and while she's at it, why doesn't see omit any other grades she doesn't like from her AMCAS and send a letter explaining those were a fluke too? (*sarcasm*)

Since everything averages together anyway, there's no point in retaking geography. You'll have to have Calc for med school so you'll have to retake that anyway. Just do well in your classes and don't worry about it. There are few people who don't have few warts on their transcript. If it comes up at all it will be in the interview and you can explain it then. This is an issue more pre-meds should be warned about, though. It's something I wish I had known.

Are you serious.

All of these attempts to get around the truth. Suck it up. Let's just hope they don't slack in med school like they did in those CC courses. That is assuming that a medical school accepts them even with the awfully wavering moral compass.

On a frustrated side note, a question:
Is it really this hard for people to understand basic principles of ethics? We get all of these questions asking if it's okay to lie about something (usually for a cover-up), misrepresent oneself, or make promises and then reneg on them. Are these actions really that hard to see as unethical? Am I missing something here?

How exactly would it be unfair if those were your Fs? God, I am so sick of hearing that word.:barf:

Yes, you must show all college work.

I don't want to thread jack or anything, but I have a question. I went to a technical school (not a college or university) and ended up with an A.S in electronics engineering, I left with like a 3.1 gpa or something. No credits are transferable (and yet it's accredited), and isn't included in my state "university system", would I have to include that?

I don't want to thread jack or anything, but I have a question. I went to a technical school (not a college or university) and ended up with an A.S in electronics engineering, I left with like a 3.1 gpa or something. No credits are transferable (and yet it's accredited), and isn't included in my state "university system", would I have to include that?

AMCAS is pretty specific in what is required. I'm guessing yes, but read the rules.

How exactly would it be unfair if those were your Fs? God, I am so sick of hearing that word.:barf:

You're right. Unfair is the wrong word. But if the person had a stellar GPA and there was some unique circumstance that led to those Fs....

Okay, maybe don't omit it from AMCAS, but he/she could still send a letter to the schools explaining the grades...

You apparently didn't read the AMCAS instructions on this. They are pretty specific that EVERY transcript for every place you attended is required. How a given school treats it (transferred or not) is not relevant to the AMCAS instructions. Lots of people's stats/credentials look very different on their college transcripts than they do in their AMCAS application.

You're right. Unfair is the wrong word. But if the person had a stellar GPA and there was some unique circumstance that led to those Fs....

Okay, maybe don't omit it from AMCAS, but he/she could still send a letter to the schools explaining the grades...

Correct unfair is a horrible word. Let's look for some better ones:

unfortunate
"the real world"
sucks
idiotic
stupid
*****ic
serves 'em right
just

We could go on. But taking responsibility for one's own actions is never "unfair."

Um, are you intentionally trying to get the OP screwed over, or did you really not know that you have to report *all* college-level classes taken (and that people have been kicked out of med school for getting caught concealing parts of their academic record, like you're suggesting)?

No, because the one thing that's more stupid than lying on an application is to then send a letter pointing out that you lied on your application, and, if you manage not to get rejected on the spot, to draw even more attention to the Fs.

As Humble pointed out, no, it's not unfair because that person chose to take those classes, didn't do the work, and then failed...they "earned" those Fs, they weren't randomly assigned to the OP.

In the OP's defense, I think a lot of pre-med don't realize that CC classes count. They take them and slack off, but wouldn't do it in a normal class. I took an EMT class my freshman year. Since it transfered to my shcool P/F, I didn't think it wise to put anymore effort in it than to pass b/c I thouhght my other courses were more important. Then come AMCAS time I realize I have to put down that lovely C I got. If I had known it was going into my average, I might have worked harder.

In the OP's defense, I think a lot of pre-med don't realize that CC classes count. They take them and slack off, but wouldn't do it in a normal class. I took an EMT class my freshman year. Since it transfered to my shcool P/F, I didn't think it wise to put anymore effort in it than to pass b/c I thouhght my other courses were more important. Then come AMCAS time I realize I have to put down that lovely C I got. If I had known it was going into my average, I might have worked harder.

That's life. There are some folks on the nontrad board who had no interest in medicine while in undergrad and thus they didn't realize their entire undergrad "counted". :)

That's life. There are some folks on the nontrad board who had no interest in medicine while in undergrad and thus they didn't realize their entire undergrad "counted". :)

I was *just* going to say that I don't feel all that much pity, since I had an entire degree I didn't know would count....

I went to a technical school (not a college or university) and ended up with an A.S in electronics engineering, I left with like a 3.1 gpa or something. No credits are transferable (and yet it's accredited), and isn't included in my state "university system", would I have to include that?
Yes you do. AMCAS is very specific on this. It doesn't matter whether or not the grades transferred.

You (1) went to an accredited school, where you (2) took classes (3) for credit and (4) were awarded grades.

Doesn't matter if it transfers. You need to report it. Lying on your app is not worth it.

Yes you do. AMCAS is very specific on this. It doesn't matter whether or not the grades transferred.

You (1) went to an accredited school, where you (2) took classes (3) for credit and (4) were awarded grades.

Doesn't matter if it transfers. You need to report it. Lying on your app is not worth it.

Exactly, and especially in the case of an entire degree, how would you explain those missing years in your application?

Exactly, and especially in the case of an entire degree, how would you explain those missing years in your application?

Well for me, I graduated high school as a new teen mother. I then took many years off to raise my child and am now a non traditional student (I'm almost 25). I was working and taking care of my family until I was ready to go back to school. I guess I don't count the technical school because I am starting over as a freshman because the credits don't transfer, I feel like those two years didn't even happen. I won't use the lousy degree, and like I said credits will never transfer ....

I'm disappointed because I had no idea I'd actually go for med school (I had it in the back of my mind) I went through a very stressful divorce when I got the A.S, which accounts for why I have such a low GPA. I realize that it is my problem, I should have been more responsible with my grades regardless, but I wasn't and now I just hope that it doesn't interfere with my med app! If I must put it in my app I will, that is life and I'll deal with it ... POOP! :eek:

Since everything averages together anyway, there's no point in retaking geography. You'll have to have Calc for med school so you'll have to retake that anyway. Just do well in your classes and don't worry about it. There are few people who don't have few warts on their transcript. If it comes up at all it will be in the interview and you can explain it then. This is an issue more pre-meds should be warned about, though. It's something I wish I had known.

Many med schools do not require Calc 2 (just Calc 1).

Well for me, I graduated high school as a new teen mother. I then took many years off to raise my child and am now a non traditional student (I'm almost 25). I was working and taking care of my family until I was ready to go back to school. I guess I don't count the technical school because I am starting over as a freshman because the credits don't transfer, I feel like those two years didn't even happen. I won't use the lousy degree, and like I said credits will never transfer ....

I'm disappointed because I had no idea I'd actually go for med school (I had it in the back of my mind) I went through a very stressful divorce when I got the A.S, which accounts for why I have such a low GPA. I realize that it is my problem, I should have been more responsible with my grades regardless, but I wasn't and now I just hope that it doesn't interfere with my med app! If I must put it in my app I will, that is life and I'll deal with it ... POOP! :eek:

You said in an earlier post that you have a GPA ~3.1 from the technical school. As long as you're doing well in your premed courses, this shouldn't be a problem. Also, the challenges you were facing as a young mom going through a stressful divorce constitute a pretty good explanation for why studies maybe weren't your top priority.

Overall I think you'll be fine on your application.

yea ive decided im going to retake the classes, my adivsor told me that they wont take it that much into consideration due to my stellar university transcript...which is on a double major, humblemd u arrogant *****

You're not screwed!!

2 F's on my transcript, could have had them removed and not reported them but I didn't because that would be dishonest (according to AMCAS instructions, I would still have to include them even if they're no longer on my transcript)

this = 5 MD acceptances
also = sleeping really well at night

EDIT: I was only asked about the Fs at one interview

yea ive decided im going to retake the classes, my adivsor told me that they wont take it that much into consideration due to my stellar university transcript...which is on a double major, humblemd u arrogant *****

Now, now, I'm not the one who just refered to my transcript as "stellar":rolleyes:

I just received my 3rd ordinance violation for unlawful consumption of alcohol, which requires me to go to court and have the judge decide how large of a fine I have to pay (can be up to $500), and since its the 3rd, it will be put on a court record in my town. My question is this, Ive already spoken with an attorney who told me that becuase its not a crimanal matter, I dont have to report any felonies or misdemeanors on any applications asking if I have ever been convicted of a crime. I also spoke with my pre professional advisor who said that I have nothing to worry about becuase its only an ordinance violation and not a criminal matter, meaning no criminal record is ever produced. My question is, should I report this to the medical schools I apply too, and will it affect their desicion of accepting me into their programs? Im really nervous and worried about this, please help, thank you.

Your advisor must love you

Aaaaaah I remember that post. I didn't think I was being too condescending on this thread, so the insult seemed somewhat unwarranted. But I definitely let him have it on the other thread. I can't stand it when people screw up and get caught and then try to lie their way out of it.

Excellent detective work AnEye...

I just received my 3rd ordinance violation for unlawful consumption of alcohol, which requires me to go to court and have the judge decide how large of a fine I have to pay (can be up to $500), and since its the 3rd, it will be put on a court record in my town. My question is this, Ive already spoken with an attorney who told me that becuase its not a crimanal matter, I dont have to report any felonies or misdemeanors on any applications asking if I have ever been convicted of a crime. I also spoke with my pre professional advisor who said that I have nothing to worry about becuase its only an ordinance violation and not a criminal matter, meaning no criminal record is ever produced. My question is, should I report this to the medical schools I apply too, and will it affect their desicion of accepting me into their programs? Im really nervous and worried about this, please help, thank you.

FIRST: Wow, AnEyeLikeMars! Great investigative work, I didn't realize this was the same guy from a few days ago.

SECOND: ocdp09, disregard my earlier post about "not being screwed." Based on the information that AnEyeLikeMars hightlighted, I surmise that you have bigger problems to contend with and based on your CURRENT pattern of behavior you will probably continue to get into trouble.

THIRD:Instead of trying to fix one problem at a time, consider changing the behavior that is at the root of it.

ocdp09...why don't you ask about everything at once? If you can't come clean on an anonymous pre-med forum, how will you survive an interview if you're asked about some of these things?

2 Fs + 3 alcohol violations + possibly trying to hide them + med schools finding out sooner or later = unhappy adcoms.

And while we're here...why do I get the feeling at least 1 of these alcohol violations overlaps with the Fs? If true, this shows adcoms irresponsibility on your part. tisk tisk :rolleyes:

ocdp09...why don't you ask about everything at once? If you can't come clean on an anonymous pre-med forum, how will you survive an interview if you're asked about some of these things?

2 Fs + 3 alcohol violations + possibly trying to hide them + med schools finding out sooner or later + = unhappy adcoms.

And while we're here...why do I get the feeling at least 1 of these alcohol violations overlaps with the Fs? If true, this shows adcoms irresponsibility on your part. tisk tisk :rolleyes:
Ahem. You left "stellar transcript" out of the equation...:rolleyes:

In all seriousness OP, you do still have a semidecent shot, provided your GPA is decent and MCAT is respectable. Just don't try to hide anything.

what can i say...i study hard(not in summer) and party hard.....but i really had no idea that everything had to be sent , i just thought i could leave it out, since i didnt transfer the credits to my university

What if you attempted college when you were younger but withdrew within the first week or so...you really don't have any grades other than "W"s...do you have to submit those apps (20+ years ago)?

What if you attempted college when you were younger but withdrew within the first week or so...you really don't have any grades other than "W"s...do you have to submit those apps (20+ years ago)?
Yes. I applied in June and had to report a few W's and two F's I took in high school back in 1988.

On the upside, your W's won't affect your GPA and given their age, I doubt adcoms would much care.

The W's are easy to explain; not submitting them would be hard to explain.