Transfer/Adv. Standing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joshua Tree

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have info regarding transfer/advanced standing students? Specifically, I am looking for info about 1) whether there are any transfer students at the schools they are attending now, 2) Do dental schools normally have any attrition and 3) which year would you most likely see a student or two dropping out of their program?

I know the ability to transfer is on a space-available basis, and that transferring during a dental curriculum is not as easy as in undergrad. Any information would be greatly appreciated-

J.T.

Members don't see this ad.

i have a feeling its hard, but I'd really like to know also....

My class had four advanced-standing students joining us at the end of our freshman year. Three are still with us (the one who left decided to switch to another dental school in Canada where she had also been accepted). They had to pass the NBDE Pt.1 before being accepted to our program I believe.

When my sister attended NYUCD (class of 2000), there were about 100 advanced-standing students who joined her class at the beginning of her junior year, swelling her class size to 320 students. I guess some dental schools take more advanced-standing students than others. :p

So there y'all have it, my contribution of limited information on the topic.. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
so if you transfer you're an advanced standing student? I thought advanced standing were for foreign trained dentists? or am i wrong?

Hi Vixen,

Yes, all the advanced standing students here in my school are foreign dentists. I've never met a transfer student so I don't know if they would be considered advanced standing students (though it would make sense, right?) :D

seema,

Advanced standing students are 99% foreign trained dentists. There are only a few programs that cater to these individuals. My cousin is an advanced standing student at NYU and she got her B.D.S. in India.

The reason you never heard about transfer dental students is that it is very rare, if not almost impossible to transfer from one school to another. Some schools do allow it. I know UPENN does, but you can only transfer in the third year and you have to be in "very" good standing. Also, your reason for transfering has to be legit as well and the courses at the present dental school must also match up. So as you can see it is a very hard and laborsome endeavor and for any dental student time is the necessity.

Hope this helps,

DesiDentist

I am aware that there are students, who have transferred to our school (SUNY Buffalo) after attending a different US dental school for the first year. The new second year class has two students that came from NYU and Indiana and there is a fourth year now who had done the first year at BU. We had a transfer student from West Virginia for a few weeks during our second year, but that student then transferred on from our school on to a Canadian dental school since she was Canadian. So this girl actually transferred twice - West Virginia to Buffalo and finally to Western Ontario. We also had another Canadian student transfer out of Buffalo after first year to the Univ. of Toronto. Buffalo does accept very few transfers, but they have to transfer into the second year class after doing first year elsewhere. I don't think transfers have to pass NBDE I before starting second year since NBDE I is intended to be taken after at least 3 semesters of dental school (usually 4 semesters), but Advanced Standing students (foreign trained dentists) do have to pass NBDE I before applying to Advanced Standing programs.

At one point during freshmen year I felt like I wanted to transfer. I briefly looked into it and quickly learned that Stonybrook, UConn, and Harvard do not accept any transfer students (as stated on their websites). At that point I stopped looking and decided to tough it out for three more years at my current school.