• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Transfer and ACGME requirements

USAFblue

10+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2008
  1. Resident [Any Field]
    Hi,

I have a question about transferring within the same specialty as PGY2 to a PGY3 position.

I tried to find some answers on this forum and on the web. I can't seem to find the right document on the ACGME website. Here I read though that you need to spend the last two years of training in the same program. Is it true for all specialties?

Thank you for your help

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Lifetime Donor
    Apr 9, 2000
    forums.studentdoctor.net
    1. Attending Physician
      Thats because ACGME is not responsible for setting the length of residencies. That is usually a function of the relevant board. While many specialties do require that the final 2 years are in the same program, I cannot speak for all. I can say that if you are contemplating transfer for your final year, it may be more trouble than its worth. Please check the relevant board website for training requirements; the RRC should also have the same info.

About the Ads
      This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.