Transfer between Pediatric Dentistry Residency programs - is it possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pedped

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, does anybody know if it's possible to transfer between Pedo dentistry residency programs? - let's say you are accepted to Pedo program at University#1, but after 1 year of the program you would like to TRANSFER (I mean transfer - not to apply again from scratch via PASS/MATCH) to another Pedo program at another university - is it possible, do you know anybody who did it? If it can be done, do you have to start again from beginning whole 2 years or you can just finish your final year at the new program?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm sure it has happened...but it's gotta be extremely rare...it's a 2 year program...ppl just stick it out

Are you worried that your first institution isn't training you well enough to extract teeth E and F?

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The programs are not interchangeable. Most of them have no association with each other. Besides, they are set up to house a specific number or residents, so there wouldn't be room to add another. LMC allows you to do a site exchange, but only for a month or so.

thanks!

Is this an actual thing? Can people actually do this and if so how common is it?

Last edited:
I'm sure someone, somewhere has done it, but the odds are very unlikely and probably require special circumstances. If you're in the program now, I would recommend just finishing it unless something has happened where the student is in danger.

Transfer would necessitate the institution you wish to go to has an empty position in the upcoming PGY2 year available. I'm sure it happens, but it seems extremely rare. Have seen it happen a few times in OMFS.