1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Transfer credits as PA to med school? PA residencies?

Discussion in 'Clinicians [ RN / NP / PA ]' started by premed747, Nov 19, 2005.

1. premed747

premed747 Junior Member

Pre-Medical
    Hi,
    I have two questions.

1) I was wondering whether I would have to repeat my PA anatomy, physiology, pharmacology etc. courses when I am in med school or could I transfer my grades?

2) Do PA's have to do a residency? If yes how long does it take? Does it vary in the different specialties?

3) How much money do you earn as a PA who just graduated?

Thank you.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Monika

Monika PA-C
    7+ Year Member

1) Medical schools do not give transferable credit for PA school courses. You will have to take all the courses required in the medical school curriculum.

2) PA residencies are voluntary. They usually last about 1 year. Post-Grad PA residencies

3) Income by PAs who graduated in 2004

Good luck.

4. premed747

premed747 Junior Member

Pre-Medical
    One more question.
    I have heard or read in a frew threats that there are actually US med schools (DO/MD) that accept some of the grades from PA school or they let you do tests in specific classes which you do not have to take after passing these tests. First, is that true? Second, are there any med schools (MD/DO) in NY or NJ which offer that?

5. Bandit

Bandit Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    no transfer credits or testing out. it sucks--but get over it and it is very helpful to re take these

6. Carolina Girl

Carolina Girl Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

I know an MS4 at AZCOM that says he received credits for a few classes. He was an emergency med PA for 16 years first, so if he did get excused from a course or two, it was probably based on his experience and not getting a good grade in PA school.

7. billydoc

billydoc Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

My advise for anyone trying to "save" themselves a little time is DO NOT DO IT! It will come back to haunt you when it's time to get lisenced. While the courses in PA programs may be similar, or even the same, your transcript must say that you took these subjects not only at the med school level, but actually in the med school. Trust me, it's not worth the risk with all the debt you are plunging into. :eek:
    Good Luck