Transfer from D.O MED school/ to MD med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mimi2kul

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
am just curious if any one knows someone that has successfully transfered from a DO program to an MD program in their third/fourth year? how rare/common can this be?:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Its not going to happen, don't attend a DO school expecting it to happen. If you matriculate at a DO school you're going to become a DO. If you absolutely need to be a MD then go to a MD school.

As Engineered and hundreds of others have said, if you want the MD degree, matriculate at a school that awards it. Don't even apply to schools you don't want to attend. It makes no sense.

Do some soul searching. Shadow some docs. Figure out what you really want and go after it! :luck:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
before every body goes off and all hell break loose. i am not interested in the name of DO/MD. i am very interested on becoming a physician so what ever 2letters are behind my name that is the least of my worries. i just wanted to know because coming from texas most DO schools out of state are pretty expensive and i could use some serious change saved from tuition if i can transfer back to texas be it TCOM/ any other med school during third and fourth year. plus i have 2children and my husband in pharmcay school. being closer to my family and saving on tuition was what i was thinking rather than tittle as oppose to what some people are already writing.

before every body goes off and all hell break loose. i am not interested in the name of DO/MD. i am very interested on becoming a physician so what ever 2letters are behind my name that is the least of my worries. i just wanted to know because coming from texas most DO schools out of state are pretty expensive and i could use some serious change saved from tuition if i can transfer back to texas be it TCOM/ any other med school during third and fourth year. plus i have 2children and my husband in pharmcay school. being closer to my family and saving on tuition was what i was thinking rather than tittle as oppose to what some people are already writing.

woh. deja vu.

Oh okay. That makes sense then.

Regardless of your rationale, the answer remains the same. I mean, if you were transferring from TCOM to UTMB or something, you might have a shot, if you had great grades and a great reason.

However, Texas schools are very good and have tons of qualified applicants each year. They just don't allow many transfers, and I'm not sure if they've allowed DO students in the past. Give a couple of them a call and ask. Tell us what they say, too!

:luck:

I'm almost certain TX has specific policies on transfers. Just like with the TX match, things are a little different in TX.

From what I know about transfers, they're so rare because of the extreme implications, i.e. family illness/death. Saving money alone isn't a good enough reason and I dare say staying with family isn't good enough either.

It wouldn't hurt to try though. What area are you interested in?

CB is right on (as usual). Transferring from one allopathic school to another is exceeding rare. I can only imagine how rare it is for an osteo-to allo transfer. Question for the masses. If one would do this, would it be a problem getting awarded an MD if you did you pre-clinical years at a non-LCME school (read: osteopathic)?

CB is right on (as usual). Transferring from one allopathic school to another is exceeding rare. I can only imagine how rare it is for an osteo-to allo transfer. Question for the masses. If one would do this, would it be a problem getting awarded an MD if you did you pre-clinical years at a non-LCME school (read: osteopathic)?

I don't think there are any problems with getting the degree. Once you're granted the transfer, I think it's smooth sailing.

Looks like GWU will only let you transfer from a DO school with a passing USMLE. Thus you have to be ready to enter third year at your school, and you can either choose to enter 2nd or 3rd year at GWU (depending on availability of seats).

Source.

the previous posters are right in that transfers are rare. There are only some schools that will give transfer students from AOA accredited schools full credit for years completed at them meaning if you did your first two years at a DO school, they would allow you to start as a 3rd year. If you do transfer most schools only allow you to do so after the second year and after you have taken the USMLE step 1. Here is a link for each individual school's transfer policy.
http://services.aamc.org/tsp_reports/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.main

the previous posters are right in that transfers are rare. There are only some schools that will give transfer students from AOA accredited schools full credit for years completed at them meaning if you did your first two years at a DO school, they would allow you to start as a 3rd year. If you do transfer most schools only allow you to do so after the second year and after you have taken the USMLE step 1. Here is a link for each individual school's transfer policy.

Great link! :thumbup:

Great link! :thumbup:

Incidentally, GWU doesn't show up in the AAMC search when you check the box for DO schools. Weird, because I used them as a random example above, and their website says otherwise. I guess that just means you should check with individual schools that you're interested in, to be sure.

I know of 7 kids in the last 2 years from my school alone that transferred to an MD school for 3rd or 4th year.

Ive also met 2 caribs that have transfered to MD us schools for 3rd or even 4th year and graduated MD.

Its counterintuitive if you asked me, but if that MD is really worth it.

My argument is why not wear your DO title with pride and shock the world. More and more DO are infiltrating competitive allopathic residencies.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh okay. That makes sense then.

Regardless of your rationale, the answer remains the same. I mean, if you were transferring from TCOM to UTMB or something, you might have a shot, if you had great grades and a great reason.

However, Texas schools are very good and have tons of qualified applicants each year. They just don't allow many transfers, and I'm not sure if they've allowed DO students in the past. Give a couple of them a call and ask. Tell us what they say, too!

:luck:

I'd venture a guess and say that you'd be more likely to be able to transfer from XCOM to TCOM successfully than to a Texas MD school. A good friend of mine is possibly following that route and hasn't met much resistance as far as I know. Best of luck...

I'd be prepared for it to NOT be available, however. It might be a low-percentage shot.

I know of 7 kids in the last 2 years from my school alone that transferred to an MD school for 3rd or 4th year.

Ive also met 2 caribs that have transfered to MD us schools for 3rd or even 4th year and graduated MD.

Its counterintuitive if you asked me, but if that MD is really worth it.

My argument is why not wear your DO title with pride and shock the world. More and more DO are infiltrating competitive allopathic residencies.

And have been doing so for some time now :thumbup:

I'd venture a guess and say that you'd be more likely to be able to transfer from XCOM to TCOM successfully than to a Texas MD school. A good friend of mine is possibly following that route and hasn't met much resistance as far as I know. Best of luck...

I'd be prepared for it to NOT be available, however. It might be a low-percentage shot.

Oh for sure!!

I was just giving that example because TX schools are all part of the same system and very familiar with one another.

I love the word choice infiltrate - like it's a covert operation. It's a little known fact that Roger Moore's 007 was supposed to be a DO, but the idea got scrapped in the final editing.

I'm sure it's been done, but a few things:

1. They would want a HUGEEE reason why. IE sick family in that city, etc
2. I'd say the chances are less than simply applying to MD schools in the first place (less than a handfull of schools will let you transfer in your 3rd year/if they have seats)
3. It's going to cost you a ton of money (not a good idea if your plan is to save money)
4. It's going to take time, set you back with school, etc etc.

If going to an allopathic school is easier/better for you, I'd suggest just trying to do it from day 1.

Very interesting thread given the reasons for wanting to transfer.

2. I'd say the chances are less than simply applying to MD schools in the first place (less than a handfull of schools will let you transfer in your 3rd year/if they have seats)

If going to an allopathic school is easier/better for you, I'd suggest just trying to do it from day 1.

From my perspective I think JaggerPlate has a really good point here. Although the schools may or may not allow it, the real question is how likely is it? I think he's right that your chances of getting into an MD school in Texas or reapplying and getting in are probably better than transferring. Unless you have some very well placed contacts. ;)

just checked the link provided. My suspicions where right. Although some schools do take osteo transfers, many require you to be transferring from a LCME accredited institution.

just checked the link provided. My suspicions where right. Although some schools do take osteo transfers, many require you to be transferring from a LCME accredited institution.

You mean another MD school, right? Or is there something I'm not aware of, regarding LCME accreditation of DO schools?

If there isn't something I'm unaware of here, then be a little skeptical of the short list of MD schools that "approve" DO student transfers. GWU is one of potentially few/several/many schools that appear to not be accurately represented by the AAMC database link, based on what I found on GWU's own website.

If I'm wrong here, please let me know. You know how I hate misinformation! :D

Wouldn't you need letters of recommendation to transfer? I can't imagine one asking his/her basic sci faculty to write LORs for him/her to transfer to an MD program. I suppose if the only reason is the need to move for family reasons, that's one thing. However, I can't imagine any other justification to faculty for why one wants to tranfer. Plus, if one doesn't get accepted to an MD institution, then that would be kind of embarrassing to have to deal with. I can understand foreign medical students requesting their professors to write LORs for transfers into US allo programs, but for a professor at a DO program to write the student a LOR for MD programs seems kinda uncomfortable.

Just imagining the situation...

You mean another MD school, right? Or is there something I'm not aware of, regarding LCME accreditation of DO schools?

If there isn't something I'm unaware of here, then be a little skeptical of the short list of MD schools that "approve" DO student transfers. GWU is one of potentially few/several/many schools that appear to not be accurately represented by the AAMC database link, based on what I found on GWU's own website.

If I'm wrong here, please let me know. You know how I hate misinformation! :D

I would def recheck any of the data listed on that website with people at the adimissions office of an allopathic school as a large number of schools have no transfer data listed. An example of the data I was looking at is the listing for Texas A & M

Current Year: 3 Number Places: 0 Applications for Transfer/Advanced Standing are accepted from: 1 Students who are legal residents of the state in which this medical school is located 2 Students facing extreme personal hardship if they remain at their present medical school 3 Medical Students enrolled at Liaison Committee on Medical Education-accredited medical schools 4 Students contingent upon their having taken USMLE, Step 1.

With these transfer spots being so rare, I have to think that any osteopathic student might be at a huge disadvantage if there are allopathic students applying for the same spot. Not that there is any real difference in the quality of students but LCME schools might want to 'take care of their own' before accepting others.

Last edited:
But you are forgetting the other end of it...

You can't transfer to any school unless the dean of your current school sends them a letter of good standing and allows it to happen. Good luck on that happening unless someone is dying or worse.

why would you leave your family (with 2 kids) to go to school out of state? Plus you have a husband probably incurring a whole bunch of debt in pharmacy school, you decide to go to med school out of state and leave them in TX? Or am I missing something here?

why would you leave your family (with 2 kids) to go to school out of state? Plus you have a husband probably incurring a whole bunch of debt in pharmacy school, you decide to go to med school out of state and leave them in TX? Or am I missing something here?

thanks for everyone's input.....as to your question, it will serve me and my family better if i can complete my medical education as fast as possible no matter which route/state i go. i have a 7yr old and a 5month old son. i want to be very much involve in their activities when they are teenagers and not having to be running to the library/anatomy lab while they sneek girls in the back window. lol.lol:laugh: i had my first when i was 15 and my husband was 19 with no family support so we have been thru hell and back and want to give our kids the best of what we did not have.
I spoke to TCOM and they are really encouraging. the only out of state school i was thinking is OSU-COM since i have some great ties there, plus it is only a 6hrs drive from where we live in texas. good luck to everyone and happy new yr.

Baylor college of medicine also accepts students from osteopathic medical accredited institutions.

thanks for everyone's input.....as to your question, it will serve me and my family better if i can complete my medical education as fast as possible no matter which route/state i go. i have a 7yr old and a 5month old son. i want to be very much involve in their activities when they are teenagers and not having to be running to the library/anatomy lab while they sneek girls in the back window. lol.lol:laugh: i had my first when i was 15 and my husband was 19 with no family support so we have been thru hell and back and want to give our kids the best of what we did not have.
I spoke to TCOM and they are really encouraging. the only out of state school i was thinking is OSU-COM since i have some great ties there, plus it is only a 6hrs drive from where we live in texas. good luck to everyone and happy new yr.

wouldnt u rather be there when theyre young, rather than when they are teenagers