jmalik

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2005
Status
My friend who recently applied REALLY late, got into VCOM recently. His grades/MCAT are good, and he wants to know if he can goto the D.O. for one year, and then apply this June 1, and transfer to M.D. after one year of being in the D.O. program at VCOM. Thanks for your comments, he has been trying to figure this out.

Thanks

cooldreams

American Mensa Member :)
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2003
Status
if he doesnt want to goto vcom tell him not to start. it is about 1000 times harder to get into an md program if you are already in a do program. and it is impossible to go from md to do. im not too sure why he would want to leave the do program...

i wonder if do schools made it harder to get into them than it is to get into md schools, that people would see the schools in a different light. these schools are just as good as md schools... be happy you got in.

OP
J

jmalik

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2005
Status
cooldreams said:
if he doesnt want to goto vcom tell him not to start. it is about 1000 times harder to get into an md program if you are already in a do program. and it is impossible to go from md to do. im not too sure why he would want to leave the do program...

i wonder if do schools made it harder to get into them than it is to get into md schools, that people would see the schools in a different light. these schools are just as good as md schools... be happy you got in.
thanks. that is what I told him, but he wants to transfer for other reasons.

docbill

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2004
Status
Medical Student
jmalik said:
thanks. that is what I told him, but he wants to transfer for other reasons.
You should do a search on this. PEOPLE HAVE ASKED THIS QUESTION BEFORE.

It is another MD vs. DO subject that we should stop bringing up.

IF it is really for your friend, then get him to ask himself. He can call VCOM and I am sure they would be glad to answer this stupid question.

For FQ$#^ sakes! I am sick of these MD rejects too wimpy to take a year off and try to improve their application. Instead they take DO and plan to transfer. ESPECIALLY IF THEY HAVE NOT STARTED YET,

cooldreams

American Mensa Member :)
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2003
Status
docbill said:
You should do a search on this. PEOPLE HAVE ASKED THIS QUESTION BEFORE.

It is another MD vs. DO subject that we should stop bringing up.

IF it is really for your friend, then get him to ask himself. He can call VCOM and I am sure they would be glad to answer this stupid question.

For FQ$#^ sakes! I am sick of these MD rejects too wimpy to take a year off and try to improve their application. Instead they take DO and plan to transfer. ESPECIALLY IF THEY HAVE NOT STARTED YET,
hahahahaha

calm down... if he really is that way then he will hate being a do and will hate his career and probally wont be well known or may have a shortend career. you gotta like what you do... janitor, cook, mom, dad, computer programmer, solder, doctor, whatever.... you gotta like it... if u dont, you most likely wont be very and will not be happy with yourself....

typically the only reason you get to transfer is because of getting married or something to that effect of a student in that med school. its gotta be an amazing good reason. anything short will pretty much garantee it wont happen. keep in mind on top of that you have let everyone know at your DO school why it is that you are transfering to the MD school, and even then in this case its gotta be even better since you are not deferring and and are going ahead and starting with the preconcieved idea of transfering anyways.... meaning that since you already know why that likely the reason will be evident that it existed BEFORE you started at vcom... not something that tends to make ppl happy... everything is against you in this case, and even moreso than the typical transfer student......

babyruth

Babyruth
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2004
I was with Steve..no I was on the moon!
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It's not impossible but very hard to do and not all allopathic schools will take a DO. Again, search this for yourself. Most transfers, to whatever school happen after the second year, but you never know. My advice is that he/she reject the acceptance letter and wait another couple of month to apply to the MD program he/she wants. It sounds like your friend is undecided about if they want to go into medicine. this might be a good time for them to really think about it. Also, it is rude to fill a spot if you are just going to transfer and take the spot from someone who really wants to be a DO and/or a doctor... It would be more ethical for your friend to wait. As many have said before me, you have to want to be a DO to go to an osteopathic school, or else it isn't worth the trouble.

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
jmalik said:
My friend who recently applied REALLY late, got into VCOM recently. His grades/MCAT are good, and he wants to know if he can goto the D.O. for one year, and then apply this June 1, and transfer to M.D. after one year of being in the D.O. program at VCOM. Thanks for your comments, he has been trying to figure this out.

Thanks
Why?

Chisel

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2002
Visit site
Status
jmalik said:

Thanks
I have heard of instances of a DO student transferring to an MD institution. Mainly this happens when the circumstances are present. Also, it will not be after first year. I can almost guarantee that much. It could happen after MSII.

I think the reality of this happening is not very good unless you are at the top of the class at whatever COM and that your COMLEX and USMLE scores are in the 90's%.

Otherwise, in my opinion, it isn't going to happen.

When it comes down to it, I think there may be circumstances that the DO school may approve of the transfer. However, as stated before, these have to be extremely important and unavoidable circumstances.

Don't forget that the MD institution must accept you and the DO school must be willing to allow the transfer too.

Chisel
MS III PCOM

OP
J

jmalik

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2005
Status
Chisel said:
I have heard of instances of a DO student transferring to an MD institution. Mainly this happens when the circumstances are present. Also, it will not be after first year. I can almost guarantee that much. It could happen after MSII.

I think the reality of this happening is not very good unless you are at the top of the class at whatever COM and that your COMLEX and USMLE scores are in the 90's%.

Otherwise, in my opinion, it isn't going to happen.

When it comes down to it, I think there may be circumstances that the DO school may approve of the transfer. However, as stated before, these have to be extremely important and unavoidable circumstances.

Don't forget that the MD institution must accept you and the DO school must be willing to allow the transfer too.

Chisel
MS III PCOM

ok, everyone calm down. It is a simple question, and I am not saying DO is bad. I am asking for my friend, cause he is on spring break right now, and he doesnt have internet connection...anyways. I told him, if he really wants to go MD , then take off a year and do research. But, he says he doesnt want to waste a year, because of the year lost of pay/experience/etc...

PJ1120

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Well i've heard of ppl who've done it...quite difficult though...but i've heard of another option that might work for your friend. I noticed that this doctor had the title MD,DO. BOTH TITLES!!! I doubt he went to both schools. I think he somehow paid money for the MD title as well. I should really just ask him. I know they did this once in Cali decades ago. DOs could attend some one day program pay some money and change title. Dont know....silly if u ask me though :laugh:

jkhamlin

Joe Cool Attending
15+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2003
Joplin, MO
Status
Attending Physician
jmalik said:

Thanks
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Dr JPH

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2000
www.pcom.edu
Status
Resident [Any Field]
In order to transfer from one school to another a few things must happen:

1. You must have the academic standing to meet the admission requirements of the school you want to tansfer into
2. You need a letter from the Dean of BOTH schools
3. You need to have a really, and I mean REALLY good reason

I know a DO student who had to jump through hoops in order to transfer from one DO school to another...and she had a good reason.

If you friend is simply starting DO school because he doesnt want to "waste a year", he will be very upset when he is unable to transfer out of VCOM, drops out and has to start all over at an MD school.

That seems like a bigger waste of time to me.

If he doesnt want to go to VCOM then he shouldnt go.

What doesnt make sense is why he would get accepted to VCOM really late and no MD schools really late. It seems if his grades are that good then he should have been able to get accepted regardless of his application date.

Poor planning on his end is his own fault.

LVDoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2005
Status
This is a ******ed question. If you're friend wants to go to an allopathic school, he should take a year-off and apply. It's not very likely that he'll be allowed to transfer a year, or even 2 years, later. Besides, he would have no good excuse on his application - what is he going to say? That he doesn't like the patient-care philosophy(hah...I could just imagine now what the interviewer is going to think when they hear "I want to treat the symptoms, not the patient") or that he wants to be a "real" doctor? C'mon now - anyone is going to be able to see right through this that his reasons for transferring (from doctor-in-training to doctor-in-training) are not logical.

dr.z

15+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2004
Detroit, MI
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
There are only few allopathic schools that will accept transfers from DO schools. It's not easy. I think AAMC has list of schools that accept DO transfers.

jkhamlin

Joe Cool Attending
15+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2003
Joplin, MO
Status
Attending Physician
PJ1120 said:
Well i've heard of ppl who've done it...quite difficult though...but i've heard of another option that might work for your friend. I noticed that this doctor had the title MD,DO. BOTH TITLES!!! I doubt he went to both schools. I think he somehow paid money for the MD title as well. I should really just ask him. I know they did this once in Cali decades ago. DOs could attend some one day program pay some money and change title. Dont know....silly if u ask me though :laugh:
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: I have an idea. Kind of a compromise. He could get accepted at a DO school, get a deferment, and find an MD school that will allow him to transfer the deferment! :idea: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

LVDoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2005
Status
PJ1120 said:
It could be one of 3 things. This guy either was a DO in CA back in the day and participated in the merger, or he got a fast-track MD degree (for practicing DO's) through the University of Antigua Health Sciences (not on the CA approval list of medical schools), or was an IMG that participated in NYCOM's once-held DO program.

LadyDoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2005
Kansas City, MO
Status
LVDoc said:
It could be one of 3 things. This guy either was a DO in CA back in the day and participated in the merger, or he got a fast-track MD degree (for practicing DO's) through the University of Antigua Health Sciences (not on the CA approval list of medical schools), or was an IMG that participated in NYCOM's once-held DO program.
This comes up at KCUMB sometimes because there aren't enough residency slots in Kansas City for all of the medical students there. Because of this, the school has many contract sites all over the country, so some students feel that “hey, if I have to move out of KC anyway, I may as well move either closer to home or somewhere I really want to be.” I checked into the transferring option, mainly as a backup in case the “professionalism” fiasco continues to get worse like it has been.

I talked to the admissions director at an MD school, and she told me that to transfer in, it had to be after my 2nd year, I had to pass my boards, and I needed a letter from my Dean. Then I just need to fill out an application; there would be no interview. I’m sure every school is different though, and the AAMC webpage does have a lot of good information on this, including which MD schools will accept DO transfers.

For what it’s worth, I would much rather be a DO than an MD. :D

jonb12997

I'm a doctor!!
15+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2003
Wherever I go, that's where the party's at!
Status
Attending Physician
jkhamlin said:
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: I have an idea. Kind of a compromise. He could get accepted at a DO school, get a deferment, and find an MD school that will allow him to transfer the deferment! :idea: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
transfer a deferrment... awesome! :D

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
jkhamlin said:
Assuming this is a joke.

I still haven't had a response to my question, asking why one would want to transfer?

I don't get it.

medic170

American Infidel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2001
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
OSUdoc08 said:
Assuming this is a joke.

I still haven't had a response to my question, asking why one would want to transfer?

I don't get it.
The guy said his friend really wants to be an MD, but he did not get in and he does not want to wast a year reapplying. Obviously, he is not the brightest bulb on the chandeleir.