Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Transfer from Dental to Medical School

Discussion in 'Dental' started by big dogg, Nov 17, 2005.

1. big dogg

big dogg Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi-Im a 2nd year dental student and Im doing really well in the classroom, but not as well in the lab-I just dont like the unforgiving and subjective nature of dentistry - if your 1mm off on a crown prep or restoration, you can go from a pass to a fail -. Has anyone ever heard of a dental student transferring to medical school? That was always my goal, but I settled on dentistry without giving it much thought and now Im regretting it.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Saikyo-Shikai

Saikyo-Shikai Accredited User

Dental Student
    I don't really know, but I'm aware that if you want some MD title, you could go further on to an oral surgery specialty, and some universities grant you the MD...

4. 12YearOldKid

5+ Year Member

Dentist
    Sure, of course you can switch to medicine. Take the MCAT. Fill out the applications. Go to interviews. It's that easy. :smuggrin:

But if you really hate dentistry, now is as good a time as any to make the switch. Good Luck.

5. LestatZinnie

LestatZinnie Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

are you talking about preps on dentoforms or in real patients?

i agree with you that i got pissed at the 'analness' of preps at first as well. but once you become proficient you really realize how big 1mm is in dentistry. forget about marks...1mm difference could often make or break a restoration.

anyhow...i find that as i work on real patients now, it's actually easier than working on dentoforms because 'ideal preps' don't exist anymore. you just chase the caries and work with what you have.

6. Dr. Pedo

Dr. Pedo Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Absolutely you can go to med school----a couple of students in my class did it for some of the same reasons you are: They have questionable hand skills and the exacting nature of dentistry drove them crazy. It's nothing to be ashamed of-----just don't become a brain surgeon---ya know what I mean :laugh: :D

Dr. B

7. PreDentJennifer

7+ Year Member

I doubt you can transfer and use your credits... unless your school has a med program and you share classes with them. You'd have to start over more likely than not. Which is not a bad idea considering you're comparing a lifetime commitment with what you end up doing (the 2 years won't seem like much in the end and your first 2 years at med school should be a bit easier having been exposed and studied almost everything in dschool).