Transfer from FP to FP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

George85

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For some reason I'm under the impression that the last 2 years of a fam med residency must be at the same program. I've taken a look through the RRC guidlines and can't see mention of it?

Does anyone have any info on this? Does anyone know of a transfer to PGY2 who didn't loose any time?

Members don't see this ad.

For some reason I'm under the impression that the last 2 years of a fam med residency must be at the same program. I've taken a look through the RRC guidlines and can't see mention of it?

Does anyone have any info on this? Does anyone know of a transfer to PGY2 who didn't loose any time?

You can transfer to another FP program after PGY-1, but AAFP residency regulations will not allow you to transfer after PGY-2 (into some other program's PGY-3 year) except under specifically designated "hardship" conditions.

My program actually had one of those some years ago - I've heard the faculty mention it. I forget what the hardship was. It might have been that the residency program shut down; it was definitely a situation where the resident really didn't have ANY choice except to move. It wasn't simply a desire to move, or a change in family circumstances. Sorry to be vague, I just don't remember the details. I don't know where you'd find the chapter-and-verse on the rule. My program has faced the possibility of a resident leaving (as in leaving :eek: ) after PGY-2 and it causes all sorts of angst because the slot cannot be filled; you can't let someone transfer in to do just one year with your program.