Transfer from osteopathic school to allopathic school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D.R.HiFlo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I'm currently a 2nd year student at Nova Southeastern Univ(osteopathic medicine) who would like to know if it's possible to transfer into an allopathic medical school. I'd like to transfer into a school on the West coast for 3rd year. I am registered to take the USMLE Step I in June. Does anyone know whether this is possible? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

It might be possible, but as far as I know most Allo schools only accept transfers in unusual circumstances and then only from LCME accredited schools. As each school makes its own policy, it really depends on which school you want to transfer to.

C

gotta ask it- why do you want to transfer osteo to allo?
brutal honesty always appreciated

Members don't see this ad :)
Things would be much simpler if I could just transfer to one of the two osteopathic schools in Cali but neither of them accept transfers from Nova. I am married and my wife is back in Cali hence the need to head back West.

It is possible. Tulane had a guy transfer from Nova after first year. Dig hard and I'm sure you'll find other places that'll help you out.

Depends on the school. Some schools require you to do all of your clinicals over again and some will allow some transfers. Call the schools that your interested in going to and see what their admissions deans have to say.

and dude...ouch you and wife 3000 miles away...that just blows

D.R.HiFlo said:
Things would be much simpler if I could just transfer to one of the two osteopathic schools in Cali but neither of them accept transfers from Nova. I am married and my wife is back in Cali hence the need to head back West.

Why can't your wife move to where you are? Cali allopathic schools are near impossible to transfer to, but USC would be your best bet.