transfer; MCAT 509; All college GPA 3.5 new school: 3.85

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sorrel1000

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so

Numbers: I just got my MCAT score after taking it for the second time, I received a 509 with 128/126/127/128 as the overall breakdown. I attended UCLA for my first two years- didn't do too well, transferred out with a 3.4. In my new university, SMU, I am doing MUCH better, my GPA there is a 3.85.

EC: My ECs are relatively strong/unique. For 1.5 years I volunteered as a group therapy leader at a mental-illness/homeless shelter, where I practice creative writing/art techniques to relieve psychological strain. My whole application, as a matter of fact, strongly supports my dream to become a Psychiatrist. I've also shadowed for countless hours, volunteered at a hospital for about 50 hours, and I'm doing research in Psychology right now. I also am in a sorority, and have leadership positions there, if that means anything.

Recommendations: Strong and good to go.

I guess my concern is the okay MCAT and the meh GPA. If I get chosen for an interview, I'm hoping to show how my old school was a negative environment for me, being out of state/ with home issues going on (I'm only applying to in-state schools, and I'm doing MUCH better in my new school. Will this work? I really don't want to have to take the MCAT a third time...

i'm not trying to get into a fancy med school, just one in my state. I'm Texan.

Members don't see this ad.

You have a decent chance for your Texas MD schools but I recommend applying to at least 5 DO schools and you should be competitive for any DO school.

You have a decent chance for your Texas MD schools but I recommend applying to at least 5 DO schools and you should be competitive for any DO school.
Thanks for the feedback!

Members don't see this ad :)
What was your first MCAT score?

Reactions: 1 user
I applied this past cycle and had similar stats and situation.

At my first school (out of state) I had a GPA around 3.3 and transferred to an in state due to tuition and financial struggle. Graduated with a 3.9 at my in state school. Mcat was a 31.

I ended up applying to 16 MD and 5 DO schools. In the end I got invited to 3 DO schools and 2 in state MD schools. Accepted to 4 schools and turned one interview down. So I would definitely apply to a few DO schools just in case because your mcat is good but borderline so it would be in your best interest to apply to both programs just in case.

For DO schools, i interviewed at two Touro schools and they are very accepting to out of staters because they're private. So look into adding them to your list.

And in regards to your situation at your first school, if they ask, it's okay to mention your situation but try to not make it sound like a bunch of excuses. Demonstrate to them more that your GPA got better because you personally improved rather than because your environment got better. Showing them that you matured looks a lot better than someone who just ran away.

Hope that helps! Good luck :)

Reactions: 1 user