transfer or still through it and do a post bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jessa20

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

So I currently attend a school with not the best premed program its actually now non existent... In my last 2 years my school has phased out their premed program and focused more on the nursing program. I don't really want to transfer due to the fact that I have made this little town my home and have made so many friends here but I don't feel like I am being challenged nor do i feel like I am being properly prepared for medical school. There is a "big" name school known for medicine less than 30 miles from my current university but its not my favorite place and the campus is really large. My current school is small about a 10-15 min walk from end to end. Both schools would be paid for if I stay in state but I truly don't want to transfer to a school I know I wont enjoy. So I need help, should I transfer for a better education or stick it out and just do a post bacc and kickass since my undergrad is paid for so I wont be "wasting" money?

Members don't see this ad.

Unless the school you're at now doesn't offer certain prerequisites for medical school, there probably isn't any point in transferring. The main preparation you need for medical school is to develop good study habits and you should be able to do that at any college.

Reactions: 1 user
Unless the school you're at now doesn't offer certain prerequisites for medical school, there probably isn't any point in transferring. The main preparation you need for medical school is to develop good study habits and you should be able to do that at any college.
They offer the vast majority of the prerequisites but I don't know if they're too easy or if i'm just retaining the information well because I don't get stressed before exams but am doing pretty well sGPA is a 3.7 should I be concerned about not feeling challenged and consider the post bacc or just feel relieved im grasping the content?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think you need to be that concerned if you're building good habits now. You probably won't need to do a post bacc if you keep your gpa up and do well on the MCAT.

I really don't see a problem here. It's very possible to get into med school from a no name school and easier prereqs. Provided you do well on the MCAT.

Now if your school isn't offering Ochen or something like that then that's a problem. When it's time for the MCAT take some pre tests and see how well you do. Then you'll have a good idea what areas you need to work on, and there are plenty of resources for studying for the MCAT