transfer out of top 20 school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why am I getting necroed @DNAJB6 @Dr.K124

I stand by this comment. My state school widdled premeds from 1200 to 100 and gave out maybe 20-30% A's in college. Those of us in the top now in med school did very well on ACT 32+, did very well MCAT, and now are in med school.

Why did I (and many others) go to our state school instead of a top school. Well.. we paid for it

P.S. I'm not saying the comparison holds true for every school, but their is enough variation to negate broad statements like the one I reacted to earlier.

Members don't see this ad.

Have an update to post. DD received her mcat score and she got 522. Her gpa as of junior year is 3.88. Planning to take a gap year and work on other aspects of the application. Any suggestions to make the application more competitive as she has time to implement them.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If she wants admission to a T20 research focused school, which will be the assumption, she needs research experience if she doesn't already have any. If she is looking for admission to a state school as the road to primary care, she should have some employment or community-based volunteer work with a population in need in that state. Either way, shadowing and clinical exposure are essential. She should also have at least one long-term, fun activity that she can list on her application as a hobby, athletic activity or artistic endeavor that rejuvenates her.

Reactions: 3 users
Have an update to post. DD received her mcat score and she got 522. Her gpa as of junior year is 3.88. Planning to take a gap year and work on other aspects of the application. Any suggestions to make the application more competitive as she has time to implement them.
Thanks for the update. She’s doing just fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Good GPA& MCAT. What has she done so far as per ECs?

Good GPA& MCAT. What has she done so far as per ECs?
She has done several hours of non-clinical volunteering. Is low on clinical as covid happened in her sophomore year when she was more certain about premed and started doing volunteering at the hospital. She has been doing research at her College's Medical Center, not yet published though. Currently doing a paid research internship. Clinical volunteering she has about 50 hours which I understand is quite low and it is becoming a problem to gather more hours with covid.

She has done several hours of non-clinical volunteering. Is low on clinical as covid happened in her sophomore year when she was more certain about premed and started doing volunteering at the hospital. She has been doing research at her College's Medical Center, not yet published though. Currently doing a paid research internship. Clinical volunteering she has about 50 hours which I understand is quite low and it is becoming a problem to gather more hours with covid.
Non-clinical volunteering is a way of showing that you want to use the skills you have now to help people and not get something out of it (namely, clinical experience).

Clinical experience can be paid or unpaid so a paid gig as a medical assistant or similar can be a way to rack up a large number of hours in even a short time.

Reactions: 4 users
100 clinical hours should be sufficient if they are meaningful. No need to publish, but a strong LOR from PI will boost the application.

Your kid is an adult now- have her create her own account and post questions if she has them.
Are you going to monitor her through medical school and residency?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users
100 percent chance your daughters gets into med school unless she's a complete robot, which I can't completely rule out from this anxious years long thread you've made. You need to chill out, your daughter probably needs to just make her own decisions without your input. She probably feels entirely pressured to do this anxious outline you have for her life, even if she hasn't expressed that to you for fear of disappointing you or creating conflict.

You can get into med school with way way lower stats. I had no trouble getting into quite a few schools as a white male with a <510 MCAT and good GPA, my work experience during college (some medical some not), and no research. I am so thankful that my parents weren't pushers. I could still be working my college cashier job, and they'd be equally as proud of me, and I'd be certain of that. Although it's a little annoying that I've explained the residency process in detail about three times, and my mother still asks me during phone calls where I'm going to work next year haaah.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
Your kid is an adult now- have her create her own account and post questions if she has them.
Are you going to monitor her through medical school and residency?
None of the adcoms who participate here have issue with a parent asking questions.

Reactions: 1 users
Too many assumptions by some people. I hope you came out of the house at 18, since that is the legal age for adult and lived by yourself without your parents support for your tuition or otherwise. Maybe some parents have millions who are paying for all the resources, but for middle class families who are paying 200-300k at private schools that itself is a big deal. They can't pay thousands on top for different resources hence they volunteer some time.
Why do you think the student herself is not doing anything? We are proud of my daughter, she knew she got herself in a mess, took responsibility and fixed it. And I am sure she has been talking to advisors and several other students. She also has a job that takes care of all expenses outside of the tuition.

No one is forcing anyone to come and read this thread, you can put on your ignore list. And if you have a problem with parents posting maybe you need to talk to the adcoms and make it as a rule.

I thank all the folks who gave valuable information. My update was just to provide a resource for other freshmen who are having trouble starting off.

Last edited:
You need to chill out, your daughter probably needs to just make her own decisions without your input.
But parent and daughter need input on their relationship from an anonymous rando on SDN? lol!

• Haha
Too many assumptions by some people. I hope you came out of the house at 18, since that is the legal age for adult and lived by yourself without your parents support for your tuition or otherwise. Maybe some parents have millions who are paying for all the resources, but for middle class families who are paying 200-300k at private schools that itself is a big deal. They can't pay thousands on top for different resources hence they volunteer some time.
Why do you think the student herself is not doing anything? We are proud of my daughter, she knew she got herself in a mess, took responsibility and fixed it. And I am sure she has been talking to advisors and several other students. She also has a job that takes care of all expenses outside of the tuition.

No one is forcing anyone to come and read this thread, you can put on your ignore list. And if you have a problem with parents posting maybe you need to talk to the adcoms and make it as a rule.

I thank all the folks who gave valuable information. My update was just to provide a resource for other freshmen who are having trouble starting off.
My parents make like 80k, and I went to a college where tuition was 7k/year before my scholarships. No 'middle class' family can afford to pay 2-300k for their kid's college. Every American feels they are middle class, however. And I feel quite fortunate for the degree of help my parents have been able to offer me, both financial and otherwise.

Your daughter got a couple B's as a freshman in hard classes at a good school, that isn't exactly a mess or even a problem. Your daughter got a 522 on the MCAT, which means she likely never had a problem. College is about finding yourself, not reaching a parent's predetermined goal. She is fine. She is quite smart. Now chill.

FYI.. parent posting doesn't need to be a rule because I've never seen another parent do it.

Last edited:
FYI.. parent posting doesn't need to be a rule because I've never seen another parent do it.
I guess you didn't notice my posts or posts from couple of other parents :) Lot of parents read silently since they get vilified if they participate and also become reddit fodder. Lot more parents are involved given how competitive, long and expensive medical admissions process became.

Last edited:
Admins, can you delete this thread or can I make it private? I see it going nowhere anymore.

Admins, can you delete this thread or can I make it private? I see it going nowhere anymore.
If they started deleting all the threads going nowhere, there might not be much left on SDN. :)

• Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.