Jul 28, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I am a med.student in turkey.i would like to transfer one of us med.schools..state doesn t matter puerto rİco excluded..
Do you have a list of us med.schools accept international transfer student to med.school?
Med.school takes 6 years here and i am 3 of it.
1,2 and 3 --pre clinical
4,5--clinical
6--internship
turkey is a bit different from us.we enter med.schol directly just after high school completion cos college isn t avaliable here
i would like to transfer 3 rd class of an us med.school when i fİnİshed 4 th class in my country..
I heard that generally schools requires mcat,toefl,and step 1 for transfer .is it true?
Med.school doesnt matter too but i am also interested in johns hopkins,nyc ,ca,minnesota(mayo rochester) and tx med.schools

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2000
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Attending Physician
I am a med.student in turkey.i would like to transfer one of us med.schools..state doesn t matter puerto rİco excluded..
Do you have a list of us med.schools accept international transfer student to med.school?
There are VERY few that accept transfers. Almost all that do, do so from US citizens at Caribbean medical schools.

ALL that do accept transfers require that you have at least 90 undergraduate units of college in the US. I assume that you do not; therefore, you are not eligible for transfer into a US medical school AFAIK.

Med.school takes 6 years here and i am 3 of it.
1,2 and 3 --pre clinical
4,5--clinical
6--internship
turkey is a bit different from us.we enter med.schol directly just after high school completion cos college isn t avaliable here
i would like to transfer 3 rd class of an us med.school when i fİnİshed 4 th class in my country..
I heard that generally schools requires mcat,toefl,and step 1 for transfer .is it true?
Med.school doesnt matter too but i am also interested in johns hopkins,nyc ,ca,minnesota(mayo rochester) and tx med.schools
You have listed three of the most competitive US medical schools or geographic locations, even for US citizens. Hopkins and Mayo have little to no history of accepting transfer students and California is probably the most competitive state to get into medical school in.

As noted above, MCAT, US undergraduate education and Step 1 are minimum requirements. Most also require that you have proof of having enough funds to pay for tuition and living expenses while here in the US.

Your best bet is to finish medical school in the US and apply for residency training here.

OP
A
Jul 28, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I don t have financial problem.
I already consider to do my res.in the usa
but i also wanna take med.school educatin there.
As u guess i don t have college education
finally you claim is it impossible for me to study med.in the us with this conditions ??
You advice me to investigate more?
Maybe some school have exceptionally laws

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2000
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Attending Physician
I don t have financial problem.
I already consider to do my res.in the usa
but i also wanna take med.school educatin there.
As u guess i don t have college education
finally you claim is it impossible for me to study med.in the us with this conditions ??
You advice me to investigate more?
Maybe some school have exceptionally laws
I understand that this is not the answer you wished to hear, but almost all of US medical schools require US undergraduate education. This has been a long standing requirement.

This article will give you some more details on individual programs but note that it is 4 years old and policies can change: http://www.fiu.edu/~preprofc/International_Students_School_Policies.htm

Note that the above article is referring to matriculation at Year 1, not as a transfer. Most US medical schools that accept internationals are more likely to do it at Year 1 since they cannot guarantee that your pre-clinical education has been sufficient.

Annually, there are single digit numbers of students who are able to transfer into a US medical school. All of whom are US citizens, with US undergraduate degrees and training outside the US. Franky, your chances without the above are slim to none. Most international students overestimate their chances to get into medical school in the US.

These are the basic requirements for medical school admission:

http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/about/start.htm

Most state/public universities of medical education (nearly all of the schools in California), will not consider foreign nationals at all because of the tax funding provided by US citizens.

For further information, you might consider purchasing the MSAR: https://services.aamc.org/publications/index.cfm?fuseaction=Product.displayForm&prd_id=259&prv_id=318