Transfer questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicalmnt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a sophomore at GMU but I want to transfer to VT the start of my junior year Fall '14.

I have taken/planning to take most of my classes at GMU by this Spring for my major (orgo 1/2, gen chem 1/2, calc 1/2, stat, english 1/2, physics 1/2, cell bio, genetics, psych, general education classes).

I spoke with the UG chemistry department chair at VT and was told I would need a couple of classes to take over the summer and I could start VT this Fall and double major in B/A Chemistry and B/S Biochemistry.

Also my school GPA would be restarted (but my entire GPA would be fine for med-school apps), which would allow me to join the more prestigious honor societies with a new GPA.

Pros:
would double major with no changes in courseload
going to school known for science (virginia tech) instead of political science (gmu)
VT medical school (possibly volunteer/shadowing/orderly job spots)
always wanted to go to VT
rent with friend at VT apartment is the same as the $ for gas I pay commuting to GMU
VT was my #1 school since HS

Cons:
currently tutoring with GMU organizing for underprivileged kids
plan on being a learning assistant for a class I took during the fall (recommended by prof.)
have a feeling I could get a 3.6-3.7 gpa if I do what I keep doing at GMU.
commuting

Is there anything else I should consider?
I know majors/school doesn't matter at all when applying to medical schools and there "is no" difference if I was a UG at the medical school I am applying to.

Fall '12 GPA = 3.4
Spring '12 GPA = 2.8 :( ouch
Fall '13 GPA = 3.72

I'm almost 80% sure I could pull off a 3.7 or 3.8ish GPA every semester at VT but.. knowing I could get 3.7ish at GMU and there is that 20% chance so.... I'm not too sure about this transfer as I was before winter break. any advise from transfer students?

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently a sophomore at GMU but I want to transfer to VT the start of my junior year Fall '14.

I have taken/planning to take most of my classes at GMU by this Spring for my major (orgo 1/2, gen chem 1/2, calc 1/2, stat, english 1/2, physics 1/2, cell bio, genetics, psych, general education classes).

I spoke with the UG chemistry department chair at VT and was told I would need a couple of classes to take over the summer and I could start VT this Fall and double major in B/A Chemistry and B/S Biochemistry.

Also my school GPA would be restarted (but my entire GPA would be fine for med-school apps), which would allow me to join the more prestigious honor societies with a new GPA.

Pros:
would double major with no changes in courseload
going to school known for science (virginia tech) instead of political science (gmu)
VT medical school (possibly volunteer/shadowing/orderly job spots)
always wanted to go to VT
rent with friend at VT apartment is the same as the $ for gas I pay commuting to GMU
VT was my #1 school since HS

Cons:
currently tutoring with GMU organizing for underprivileged kids
plan on being a learning assistant for a class I took during the fall (recommended by prof.)
have a feeling I could get a 3.6-3.7 gpa if I do what I keep doing at GMU.
commuting

Is there anything else I should consider?
I know majors/school doesn't matter at all when applying to medical schools and there "is no" difference if I was a UG at the medical school I am applying to.

Fall '12 GPA = 3.4
Spring '12 GPA = 2.8 :( ouch
Fall '13 GPA = 3.72

I'm almost 80% sure I could pull off a 3.7 or 3.8ish GPA every semester at VT but.. knowing I could get 3.7ish at GMU and there is that 20% chance so.... I'm not too sure about this transfer as I was before winter break. any advise from transfer students?
It sounds like you would be way happier at VT. I say do it. If you don't mind me asking, why are you having doubts about your GPA there vs. at GMU?

It sounds like you would be way happier at VT. I say do it. If you don't mind me asking, why are you having doubts about your GPA there vs. at GMU?
just one of those notions I got from HS that UVA/VT was much harder than any other school etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
just one of those notions I got from HS that UVA/VT was much harder than any other school etc.
I doubt they're "much" harder. Like any school, the difficulty depends mostly on which professors you take classes with. Other things to consider:

The double major isn't going to affect your chances, but I guess it's nice to get two degrees for the price of one.
At a school as big as VT, there should be plenty of opportunities to get involved with new ECs.
Is there a difference in cost? Is it significant?
I think you can spin the transferring experience into a nice story for med school admissions: "After moving from GMU to VT, I realized just how important a school's 'fit' is to my happiness, and it's one of my top priorities as I consider medical schools. I believe your school is a good 'fit' for me because blah blah blah."

I still say go for it if you're not happy at GMU!

I cannot find the average grade distribution for George Mason, but I can say that VT seems to have a fairly low GPA overall (implying it is a harder school). Someone brought up UVA. I went to UVA, and know of several transfers from George Mason to my school (including those with a 4.0). Those students were very happy when they ended up with 3.3/3.4s at UVA. YMMV.